Accepted Solution

diffent SDK ?

Sorry I don't understand the diffence between the different Stacks:

Bluetooth SDK

Gecko SDK

Connect

RAIL

Which one should I use with the GBM111 of 113 ?

Thanks

arnold

Re: diffent SDK ?

Hi @zender64,

The stack to be used depends on what radio protocol is being developed for.  The Gecko SDK, is for generic EFM32 type projects that do not use a radio (or wireless protocol).  The Bluetooth SDK is used for Bluetooth applications.  The Connect and Rail are typically used for Proprietary wireless protocol development.  The BGM111 and BGM113 are Bluetooth modules, so I would assume you would want to use the Bluetooth Stack.

Thank you,

jpitt

@jpitt, Can you elaborate a bit more on this? What is the difference between Connect and RAIL? Also, on which EFR32 series can these protocols be used?

Thanks, than I was right.

regards

arnold

Hi @vanmierlo,

The easiest way to see what product are supported by a given stack is to click on the stack in Preferences page from within Simplicity Studio ([Window] > [Preferences] > [Simplicity Studio] > [SDKs]), the description listed the Supported parts.  The Connect and RAIL stacks have been combined into the Flex stack.  The Flex stack is used when a customer wants to have a proprietary message payload and not use one of the existing protocols like Bluetooth, Zigbee or Thread.  RAIL stands for Radio Abstraction Interface Layer and it is a lower level stack with APIs to make it easy configure the radio on the part.  Instead of having to figure out which registers to configure, the RAIL stack abstracts that level of detail away from the developer.  The Connect Stack is at a slighter higher functionality than the RAIL stack and it has APIs to allow configuration of the different types of network: Point to Point, Star, Extended Star or Single Hop Direct.

I hope this helps.  There are user guides for Connect (UG103-12) and RAIL (UG103-13) is more detail is needed.

Thank you,

jpitt

@jpitt

I saw no Flex SDK in the preferences. I only had:

- Bluetooth Smart SDK

- Gecko SDK

- Gecko SDK Suite: MCU 5.1.2

- Silicon Labs Connect v2.0.1.0

- Silicon Labs RAIL

- Stackless applications

I clicked "Need more SDK's? Customize your installation here...". Still there was no Flex SDK option to install. I had to manually start the SDK Wizard to see there actually were updates ready to be installed. Why is this so hidden away? My installation was registered already months ago.