Highlighted

Unable to use debug out in EFM32 STK development board

I am facing a problem, my board with EFM32gg230f1024 is some time works some times not. More specifically , we are not able to use JTAG into board. I had gone through all related comment and links but no proper information. 

please find below my problem in detail:

Information

1) I am using EFM32 Gecko Start kit BRD2001A rev. A05, Firmware version 1v6p0b87, Jlink serial number 251003820.

2) MCU information: EFM32G890F128 , Chip revision 1C, Production id 10, Unique id 0x008ab5004d87ad01

3) As per above link I am connecting board to energy commander and making debug board into OUT mode. 

4) I had made connection as showing in above link.

5) My application hardware having MCU EFM32GG230F512 or Another version EFM32GG230F1024.

Requirement

1) I just want to debug my board using Keil u vision V4.60.0.0

Problem

1) When I connect our hardware on above kit and change mode to OUT then in energy commander -> kit -> MCU information I am getting no information. Every place it says Not connected - not connected is that ok?

2) I am connecting, my hardware with debug pins and give power by 3V3 and GND pin available in kit it self. Is that ok?

3) Now I am using Energy commander to download hex file into board, then it starting to downloading hex file but in between it shows message Unable to read from SRAM . This message comes exactly after 24% downloading.

4) If I tries to download any hex file form Demos then message comes Debug mode is not set to MCU. Are you sure that you wish to processed

5) Now disconnect from energy commander and use keil.

6) As soon as I press button on Load on keil message comes

Firmware: Energy Micro EFM32 compiled Dec 10 2012 15:59:12

Hardware: V7.00

S/N : 251003820

Feature(s) : GDB

After this message comes that No cortex M SW device found

7) This problem  is keep coming always, then same board/ same hardware/ same program in keil some time works and start debugging. Earlier we was having strong luck but now a day we struggling too much. 

8) Some times cortex M device founds and it start downloading but before completing it stop and says unable to communicate with flash.

9) IS their any chance that Silicon(EFM32) it self having some issue?

I am very sorry my wish list is long..........but I am struggling a lot. Any kind of help will work like SOS for me.

Thanks.

Yogesh   

Have you remembered to connect the Vtarget pin? This pin needs to sense the target voltage. I cannot see the link you are referring to. Did you forget to post something?

Hi Yogesh,

I have experience with using the OUT mode on an EFM32 STK to program my own hardware, but I do not have any experience with KEIL.

Just check you meant SWO, not JTAG? See: http://forum.energymicro.com/topic/118-jtag-on-efm32/

From the symptoms you posted, I suspect the connection or protocol is the problem. I've replied to your questions, copied below, in bold text. Hopefully they might also be of use to someone else just starting out to program their own hardware.

Problem

1) When I connect our hardware on above kit and change mode to OUT then in energy commander -> kit -> MCU information I am getting no information. Every place it says Not connected - not connected is that ok?

NO that's not ok, you should see info retrieved from the MCU on your hardware in Energy Commander, after EC establishes communications.

2) I am connecting, my hardware with debug pins and give power by 3V3 and GND pin available in kit it self. Is that ok?

In principal, YES, that's OK, but first, check max current drawn by your hardware - especially new, untested hardware! The best advice I was given - start by using a current limiting power supply for the first power-up of your hardware; if all is ok, then utilise the 3V3 and GND from the STK.

3) Now I am using Energy commander to download hex file into board, then it starting to downloading hex file but in between it shows message Unable to read from SRAM . This message comes exactly after 24% downloading.

Without Energy Commander displaying MCU info from your own MCU, (as per your Q1) trying to download a hex file to it is almost certainly pointless.

4) If I tries to download any hex file form Demos then message comes Debug mode is not set to MCU. Are you sure that you wish to processed

The GPIO configuration and circuit of your own hardware is unlikely to match that of one of the demos, so this fault-finding technique is potentially a very risky one - hence the warning Are you sure that you wish to proceed i.e. To do so may potentially damage to your own hardware, both MCU and attached circuitry.

6) As soon as I press button on Load on keil message comes

Firmware: Energy Micro EFM32 compiled Dec 10 2012 15:59:12

Hardware: V7.00

S/N : 251003820

Feature(s) : GDB

After this message comes that No cortex M SW device found

Without Energy Commander displaying MCU info from your own MCU, (as per your Q1) trying to download a hex file to it is almost certainly pointless.

7) This problem  is keep coming always, then same board/ same hardware/ same program in keil some time works and start debugging. Earlier we was having strong luck but now a day we struggling too much.

An intermittent problem suggests there is a bad connection somewhere.

8) Some times cortex M device founds and it start downloading but before completing it stop and says unable to communicate with flash.

This also sounds like a bad connection somewhere, or insufficient power perhaps, or, or, or... This symptom is quite difficult to comment on. It could be a simple problem, - as they so often are. I really suggest starting back at the connection problems you raised in Q1.

9) IS their any chance that Silicon(EFM32) it self having some issue?

It is possible, but unlikely. My experience is that even being quite unkind to my prototype EFM32 hardware, it's been very reliable during and after repeat programming cycles. I haven't, for example, observed ESD precautions since assembling my prototype board.