Accepted Solution

Simplicy Studio v4 - No device found with name: EFR32BG1B232F256GM48

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

I have a problem when I use software example "SOC - empty"

Actually I have a computer without evaluation kit and another one with the evaluation kit. In both case I have the same issue. My target is an EFR32BG1B232F256GM48 on BRD4300C. I try to get different SDK but I still have the same problem, when the project is generated, some files are missing.

Project conf 

Project folder.jpg

After building, some files are missing:

Build.jpg

When I open isc file and clic on "Preview" button, I get following error:

isc file.jpg

I think something is missing during the installation but I don't find what.

My available SDK are:

sdk.jpg

An idea to solve this problem, please?
Thanks.

Best regards.

Damien

Re: Simplicy Studio v4 - No device found with name: EFR32BG1B232F256GM48

Hi @DamienNao,

It looks like the project flow that was chosen was [File] > [New] > [Silicon Labs MCU Project], but for Wireless projects (Bluetooth, Mesh, etc) the project flow should be [File] > [New] > [Silicon Labs AppBuilder Project] and then after the project is completed the AppBuilder application must be run by clicking the Generate button on the .isc file.

Please try creating an AppBuilder project and see if that resolves the issue.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi jpitt, 

Thanks for reply.

I did the manipulation:

File > New > Project > Sillicon Lab AppBuilder Project > Bluetooth SDK 2.4.2.0 > SOC - Empty

The project is created but nothing changes: files are missing when I compile and if I want to generate isc file, a box appears with "file geneation failed. Error No device found with name: ERF32...."

I tried on 4 computers:

- 2x with Win7,

- 1x with Win8.1

- 1x with MAC

Always same behavior.

I tried without firewall, without virus protection, nothing changes.

Actually a colleague giave me a .zip with its install, now I can compile but the debuger doesn't work.

After 20 hours I still can't toggle a pin...

Is it easier with SS v3 ?

Hi @DamienNao,

I am not sure what device support (packages) were selected when Simplicity Studio was installed, but it sounds like some files are missing.  Please generate a zip file of the Simplicity Studio Logs - [Help] > [Report Bug...] make sure "Export Simplicity Studio log files" is selected, then hit [Next] twice and [Finish] and upload the resulting zip file to either this Community Forum thread or else to a support case created using your Silicon Labs account.

Simplicity Studio v3 behaves quite a bit differently than Simplicity Studio v4, some people find it easier but others find v4 easier.  The main thing is that development on Simplicity Studio v3 is finished, there will be no updates to it to add support for new products that Silicon Labs releases or updates to the SDKs used by SSv3.  I would recommend staying with Simplicity Studio v4, hopefully the log files will give us the information we need to help resolve the issue.

Thank you,

jpitt

Highlighted

Hi jpitt, 

Thanks you for yours advices, I will to stay on SS v4.

I hope the solution can be found in the Log. I send you the file in few hours when I back to the office.

The installation on my Win8.1 (at home) now works fine after updating JAVA and a reinstallation. J-link works well too.

In my office, the only computer with simplicity working well is also with Win8 (but it's the computer of my colleague...), is it a clue ?

Regards, 

Damien

Hi jpitt, 

I find a solution to allow the IDE to create all files needed. The problem came from administrator rights...

Now I fece to another problem, I can't debug by using the J-link (error message "No compatible debug agents found")

Here you can find a Log from the computer under Win7 (no problem for files / compilation, problem with J-link).

Log probe.jpg

Probe.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Regards, 

Damien

Hi @DamienNao,

The "no compatible debug agents found" error is caused by missing adapter pack .exe files needed to launch the debugger.  This is most often caused by the anti-virus software (especially AVG and Avast) falsely detecting these files as malware and quarantining them.  The solution is to use the anti-virus program to restore the files from quarantine.  AVG has updated their program to no longer detect these types of files as malware.

Please check the anti-virus software to determine if this is the issue or not.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi jpitt,

Avast was the problem.

Thank you for the support.

Regards, 

Damien