Simplicity Studio v4 Linux Debug mode and flashing target problems

Hello,

I have Simplicity Studio v4 Linux installed (OS Debian Jessie x64) and STK3800 kit with custom board EFM32WG940F256 based connected. I have following problems:

1. I can't change Debug mode (OUT->MCU or any). I noticed that after changing debug mode from OUT to MCU nothing changed.  I see Applying... then Applied message, but Debug out LED still is ON and debug mode in SS4 don't change. I have to use SS3 to do switch debug mode

2. I built simple application for target with simple SWO output messages. I press Debug button to flash custom board, I can see pointer on main function after. But when I run application I see that SWO output corresponds to old program flashed to custom board. I mean SS4 thinks that flashing was ok but in real nothing happened and I can see only SWO output of old program.

Re: Simplicity Studio v4 Linux Debug mode and flashing target problems

[ Edited ]

Hi @Vladimir_A,

In general we recommend using the latest Ubuntu LTS Linux distribution (currently 16.04LTS), we cannot test with all of the distributions that are available.  

Please generate a zip file of the Simplicity Studio Logs - [Help] > [Report Bug...] make sure "Export Simplicity Studio log files" is selected, then hit [Next] twice and [Finish] and attach the resulting zipfile to this forum thread and we will see if we can figure out why debugging isn't working for you.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hello,

see the log files attached.

As the additional information:

1. I switched debug mode to MCU (using SS v3.3) and build freeRTOS example project for STK3800. First time after project was built I could see that example was flashed to STK3800 MCU (I saw progress bar working for some seconds with filename xxxx.json). But after that I made changes to project, and I could not flash MCU with changes. SS4 switch to debug mode and I can debug step by step, but in real updated program was not flashed to MCU

2. Everything works properly if I use SimplicityStudio v3.3

I understand that it is impossible to support all Linux distributions, but if you can check log files to try to figure out my problem it would be great!

Hi @Vladimir_A,

It is hard telling from the adapter pack logs which file was created last as all of the files have the date and timestamp for when the zip of the log files was created.  I do see messages about not being able to bind to the channel because the address is already in use.  I don't know if there is a lock on the board or if some other program has taken over the usb port.  Adapter pack locks can be checked on [Window] > [Preferences] > [Simplicity Studio] > [Adapter Packs] > [Device Locks].  If any devices are locked then select [Unlock All] to unlock them.  Barring that you can try running the different Adapter Packs to make sure the device is detected correctly within Simplicity Studio and to try and manually flash the board.  So try running Device inspector for Exx32 choosing the inspect: $(inspect_emdll) -slist [ -sn ${sn}], batch "Bare run" option.  And the various options in the Exx32 adapter pack, there are options for launching the debugger and for flashing a board.

Also right clicking on the J-Link line in the Devices window should present an option to upload an application to the board.

I hope one of these options helps you make progress in flashing and debugging the board.

Just to be clear, when you run the debugger with Simplicity Studio v4, the program being stepped through is the old version without your changes correct?  I ask because the debugger first flashes the program before it starts to debug it, so if the correct program is being stepped through then it was flashed to the board.  The flashing is sometimes very fast for small programs so there isn't any indication it is taking place.

Thank you,

Jim Pitt

Highlighted

Hi,

There is no locks in Device Locks window.

If I open Flash Programmer tool and press Erase button, nothing changed. I can see that uploaded to MCU program is still working. The same operation in SS3 takes about 2 seconds, I can see progress bar and after that I can see that MCU is erased. After that is I try Program button in SS4 I can see progress bar for about 0.5 sec and nothing changed. In SS3 when I press Program button I can see progress bar for some seconds and after that I can see MCU program running. So I can see that in SS4 Erase and Program functionality just dont' work in my case.

>Just to be clear, when you run the debugger with Simplicity Studio v4, the program being stepped >through is the old version without your changes correct?

SS4 debugger steps through new source code, but MCU runs old program. I don't know how exactly SS uses debug info to get source code from program counter, but I see such thing. Yes, before first debug step I can see progress bar with "writing" operation, but it takes much less time then it takes in SS3 and I see that MCU program was not really updated.