Accepted Solution

Simplicity Studio can't check update

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

I'm having trouble to update the SDK in simplicity studio and simplicity studio  can't recognize the board I'm using.

The update has been in the following step the whole day and before I can see my board on the left but now even though I plugged in my board, simplicity studio can't recognize anything.

I used simplicity studio before and everything works fine, it just happened today all of a sudden. Please help! Thank you!

1.jpg

Re: Simplicity Studio can't check update

I'm moving this to the Simplicity Studio forum

Hi @BG123,

I am sorry for the problems you are having updating Simplicity Studio.  Please make sure you stop Simplicity Studio and use the Windows Task Manager to make sure no instances of Simplicity Studio are still running.  Then delete the folder at [SimplicityStudioInstallation]\configuration\cache (default would be C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\configuration\cache).  Then restart Simplicity Studio specifying the "-clean" option on the command line (so if Simplicity Studio is launched from a shortcut add -clean after the studio.exe in the shortcut properties Target window and then start Simplicity Studio and try to do the update again.

If the update still fails then please generate a zip file of the Simplicity Studio Logs - [Help] > [Report Bug...] make sure "Export Simplicity Studio log files" is selected, then hit [Next] twice and [Finish] and upload the resulting zip file to either this forum thread or to a support case created using your Silicon Labs account.

Thank you,

jpitt

Dear jpitt,

Thank you so much for the detailed instruction, it solved the problem! but I'm still having trouble to detect the board, before I update simplicity studio I  can see the board on the left side under the Device, but now even though I plug in the board, I can not see anything, as in the photo below.

Hope you can help me to figure out why the simplicity studio doesn't want to recognize my board.

Thank you!!

7-11.jpg

Dear jpitt,

Also in the device manager, I can see the JLink CDC UART Port (COM5), and it says, This device is working properly.

[ Edited ]

Hi @BG123,

To help troubleshoot the device detection issue, please enable adapter pack logging ([Window] > [Preferences] > [Simplicity Studio] > [Adapter Packs] and then check the box next to "Adapter pack log:") then unplug the board and plug it back in. Next try running the Device Inspector adapter pack.  [Window] > [Preferences] > [Simplicity Studio] > [Adapter Packs] expand the "Device inspector for Exx32 and EFM hardware and select the last line in the expanded list inspect: $(inspect_emdll) -slist, [ -sn ${sn} ], batch and click "Bare run"

deviceInspector.PNG

In the dialog box that appears leave the sn window blank and hit "OK".  In the dialog box that appears it should list the connected J-Link devices, but I expect there will be some kind of error in your case.  Please copy the output from the dialog box (highlighting in the window and CTRL-C, CTRL-V will work) and paste the result to this forum thread.

After that, also please generate a zip file of the Simplicity Studio Logs - [Help] > [Report Bug...] make sure "Export Simplicity Studio log files" is selected, then hit [Next] twice and [Finish] and upload the resulting zip file to either this forum thread or to a support case created from your Silicon Labs account.

In the Windows Device Manager the J-Link device of interest would show up in the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" list, there should be a J-Link driver entry and a corresponding USB Composite Device entry.

Thank you,

jpitt

Dear jpitt,

Thank you very much for the quick reply! But I think I'm missing a lot of things, all I can see is like below.

I can't see the "Device inspector for Exx32 and EFM hardware".

7-11.jpg

Hi @BG123,

Yes, from the screenshot it doesn't appear that Simplicity Studio ever finished the first time installation.  I thought this was just an update to a Simplicity Studio installation that had been running for a while, but apparently that is not the case.  If it had the top menu should be "File | Edit | Navigate | Search | Project | Run | Window | Help" instead of just the "File | Help" that is shown.  Please click the "Update" icon again, I think in this case it will launch the Install Wizard, in which case click the "Select by Product Group" tab and then click the box for "Wireless Products" and continue clicking Next until "Finish" is available.  Click "Finish" and hopefully everything will install correctly for you and you will be up and running.

Thank you,

jpitt