Accepted Solution

Simplicity Studio 4 won't run

Hi,

I'm working on a Windows 7 system, and I've had great success using Simplicity Studio 4 on this box in the past.

Today, I planned to begin work on a new project, so I opened SS and chose to check for updates. A lot of updates were downloaded and presumably installed, and then I was asked to restart SS, which I did. After the restart, I got the splash screen and then the application window appeared briefly, after which the entire application closed. I rebooted my computer, but got the same results.

I then completely uninstalled SS and reinstalled it fresh from the SL website, but that didn't fix things, either. I also added '-clean' to the command line and tried running as administrator, but neither of those things worked.

I every case the splash screen appears, followed by the application window, which hangs around for maybe 3 seconds, and then just disappears. Nothing shows in task manager, so it looks like it's just shutting itself down.

I'm attaching the .log file from the .metadata directory in  c:\Users\..\SimplicityStudio\v4_workspace.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike Holmes

Re: Simplicity Studio 4 won't run

Just a bit more background info:

I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1, and I'm current on updates.

The host computer is a Dell / Intel Core i7-2620M @2.70 GHz with 8GB of RAM and 77 GB of free disk space.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry for the difficulty with updating Simplicity Studio.  The log file that was attached doesn't give details on the actual crash, but it does give a few hints of some initial steps to make in recovering operations.  The logs indicate that the Silicon Labs password has expired.  Please:

1. Go to www.silabs.com and Log In to change your Silicon Labs password.

2. Delete the file secure_storage at C:\Users\Mike\.eclipse\org.eclipse.equinox.security

3. Zip up any .log files in the directory C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\configuration and attach those to this forum thread.  I believe there will be some hs_err_pid*.log files that are the JVM crash logs.

4. Simplicity Studio was obviously crashing before adding the -clean option to the command line, but there are errors saying that the ModuleCleanupAddon can't be retrieved, so remove the -clean option.

It is possible that after performing step 2 and 4 Simplicity Studio will start up, but if not the crash logs will give us a clue as to what is happening.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi jpitt,

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Per your instructions, I changed my SL password, deleted the secure_storage file, and removed the -clean CL option. I could not find any *.log files in the directory you specified.

I then attempted to restart SS, but the same thing happened again.

Is there any other possible places I should look for crash logs?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Hi Mike,

A couple of other places you could look:

1. C:\Users\Mike\SimplicityStudio\v4_workspace\.metadata

2. C:\Users\Mike\SimplicityStudio\v4_workspace\outgoing

3. C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\.metadata (this directory might not exist).

4. Use File Explorer to search the C: driver for hs_err_pid*.log files or open a command prompt and type dir /s/b c:\hs_err_pid*.log

Another thing you could try is to use a text editor to edit the file C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\studio.ini and add -debug as the first line.

Then when starting Simplicity Studio a command prompt window will be opened with log messages in it, those messages might give us a clue as to why Simplicity Studio isn't starting.

If you upload the .log file again it should have new information after you deleted the password and ran without the -clean option.

Thank you,

jpitt

I found the JVM crash logs. They were in the v4 directory. Sorry I didn't look harder the first time.

Also attaching the newer startup log file.

I tried the -debug option, but the debug window disappeared so quickly that I wasn't able to discern anything meaningful.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for all the experiments, the crash logs do look similar to some others we have seen recently.  Can you try renaming your Simplicity Studio workspace (C:\Users\Mike\SimplicityStudio\v4_workspace).  So don't delete it, but just rename it and then start Simplicity Studio again.

Thank you,

jpitt

Highlighted

Hi jpitt,

I renamed c:\Users\Mike\SimplicityStudio\v4_workspace to "renamed_directory" and restarted SS, but this did not fix the problem.

A new v4_workspace directory was created, and I'm attaching the log file from it as well as the latest JVM log.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

Has there been any resolution to this problem with SS 4 won't start?

I have the exact same symptoms.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi again,

Forgot to add zip folder containing log file and error logs.

Cheers,

Tom.

This sounds like the same issue I have.  The error log file shows the following.

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x305a1090, pid=16828, tid=0x00002d5c
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_92-b14) (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (25.92-b14 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [swt-win32-4528.dll+0x31090]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

Other programs I have used Java fine.  It looks like an eclipse type dll having issues.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?  If not just don't get rid of Simplicity V3 as V4 is non-solution for me with these parts. thanks.

Hi @bdudemon and @Ramius,

Which version of Internet Explorer is installed on the computer being used?

If you have at least Internet Explorer 8 installed, please you use a text editor to edit the studio.ini file located in the Simplicity Studio installation directory and try adding one of these lines to the end of the file to see if it makes a difference?

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=7000

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=9000

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=9999

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=10001

Start with the number slightly less than the installed IE version, for example if you have IE 11 than first try setting IEVersion to 10001 and if you have IE 10 than try IEVersion=9999.

Thank you,

jpitt

I put the following in the file

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=9999

and that worked like a champ.

Thank you Smiley Very Happy

Hi @bdudemon,

Thanks for trying that out and reporting back your results.  For my own information which version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer?

Thank you,

jpitt

Internet Explorer 11.413....