Linux VCPXpress Compile Problems

Over the weekend 9/30-10/1 I updated Simplicity Studio for my EFM8UB2 board to the latest V4 version for both Linux and Windows 7.

Under Linux, it looks like there are still problems with M$ case independent file names vs. *nix case sensitive ones. The EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_Echo example project showed the following name problem.

Description    Resource    Path    Location    Type
Invalid project path: Include path not found (/usr/local/SimplicityStudio_v4/developer/sdks/8051/v4.0.8/Device/shared/si8051base).    EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_Echo        pathentry    Path Entry Problem

I made these changes to get it to compile:
Project->Properties->C/C++ General->Paths and Symbols->{Assembly,GNU C}

is ${StudioSdkPath}/Device/shared/si8051base
sb ${StudioSdkPath}/Device/shared/si8051Base

I had to repeat these steps when I tried the EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart example project.

Is there any way to change the template data for these values?

EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart:
Had to make same changes as for EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_Echo
In addition, there are two compiler warnings under Problems:

'txCharReady': different memory space    EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart        line 7, external location: /usr/local/SimplicityStudio_v4/developer/sdks/8051/v4.0.8/examples/EFM8UB2_SLSTK2001A/USB/VCPXpress/EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart/inc\display.h    C/C++ Problem
unreachable code    initialization.c    /EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart/src    line 110    C/C++ Problem

Note the backslash ('\') toward the end of the file name path. However, compiling EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart on Windows 7 issues the same warnings. Here is the Windows 7 problem list:

'txCharReady': different memory space    EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart        line 7, external location: C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\sdks\8051\v4.0.1\examples\EFM8UB2_SLSTK2001A\USB\VCPXpress\EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart\inc\display.h    C/C++ Problem
unreachable code    initialization.c    /EFM8UB2_VCPXpress_UsbToUart/src    line 110    C/C++ Problem

Looking at the code, in neither case do I see anything obvious to me as to the causes.

On a related note, I see you still have moral objections to including a "Categories=" statement in the desktop template part of the setup.sh script for the Linux version of Simplicity Studio. On a clean install - one without any copies of stdio.desktop squirreled away - Simplicity Studio will not appear in the XFCE4 Applications menu under any category. I chose to insert "Categories=Development;" in my particular copy of the setup.sh script and found that it worked fine.

I'm willing to smoke test any changes you may make to address these points.

Thanks,

Re: Linux VCPXpress Compile Problems

Hi @bjbatten,

Thank for the detailed explanation and investigation into this issue.  I will create a bug report for the issue to get the template files updated.  I will mention that you have offered to smoke test the changes. 

I do not think there is any objection to adding a "Categories=" to the setup.sh script,  I will report this issue as well.

Thank you,

jpitt