Accepted Solution

Link to Keil license form not working

Hi,

I am trying to use Simplicity Studio from inside a docker container. I can already install and start the application. But I have problems with the License Helper.

The license helper dialog pops up the first time I try to compile some code. Normally I can click on the link inside the helper and a browser window opens with the Keil form and already populated CID (Computer ID) and PSN (Product Serial Number) values. However, when I click on the link nothing happens. I don't even get an error (have started the application from the command line).

The browser inside the container should work. Because:

• When I click on the eclipse link inside the about dialog, then the browser opens.
  • xdg-open works (opens default application):
xdg-open http://www.google.com
  • Opening the browser with wine (winebrowser) works:
WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.config/SimplicityStudio/v4/studio-wine WINELOADER=/opt/SimplicityStudio_v4/support/common/wine/usr/bin/wine /opt/SimplicityStudio_v4/support/common/wine/usr/bin/wine winebrowser http://www.google.com

Does anybody know how to debug this? Or how to get the CID and PSN directly?

Thanks,

Daniel

Highlighted

Re: Link to Keil license form not working

Hi @Daniel09,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I am still trying to get an answer on how to fix this issue.  We have customers on Macs that see the same issue as you are seeing on Linux (and this has been seen on Linux before).  From past error logs I have seen the call into the Keil dll (uv4.dll) to get the CID is not getting a response.  So it appears to be some interaction between wine and the dll.  Is there another instance of wine installed on your computer? (besides the one that installs with Simplicity Studio that you have referenced below).

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi jpitt,

On the container there is no other instance of wine installed. I will send you an email with the logs.

Maybe I should have said that I use Simplicity Studio on my Linux (Debian) system since it was released for Linux. And so far it worked great! But using it inside a container has some advantages for us:

• We can run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is supported
  • My collegues can use the same environment as I do
  • Some people are very cautious with upgrading their machines or installing packages
  • No conflicts with other toolchains or setups
  • Reproducible environments

Some more information about the problem:

I installed Simplicity Studio on a container with a full blown Linux desktop with its own display server where you can connect over VNC. And there it worked. So the problem may have to do with X11 (the display server) or with my container setup.

Hi @Daniel09,

Thank you for the information and the update.  Hopefully adjusting the X11 settings will resolve the issue.  I have been digging into getting the CID directly as we have some customers that see a "replaceme" for the CID on the Keil registration url.  I hope to add an update on how to find / extract the file KeilLicensing.exe and then use wine to run it along with the Keil UV4.dll file to get the CID later today.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi,

Thanks to the logs I could figure out the problem! I was missing a package. Following command solved the issue for me:

sudo apt install libgnomeui-0

It would be great if the install script for Simplicity Studio would include this dependency in the future.

Thank you for your help!