Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How to obtain old (pre v9.0) version of Keil Toolchain?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

first let me note that I have not completely understood where I should ask the following question. If I did something wrong, please tell me and move this question to the appropriate place if applicable.

After some problems with License Manager, I finally managed to get uVision running in version 9.55 without code size limit. The problems occurred probably, because I had to install a special version of Keil uVision v9.51b, which (only?!) comes with current version of 8BitToolsInstaller-web.exe from Silicon Labs. Installing only the uVision installer packages from Keil did not remove the code size limit, but only extended is from 2K to 4K.

However, the above solution does not work for uVision v9.00: Although having the correct license installed and having V9.51b installed and working, the size limit of 4 KiByte is active. I need exactly this compiler version (and the corresponding versions of the other tools) to verify a build process for a product from an external supplier: Same source code must give same binary. Of course this only works with the exact compiler version which was used by the supplier when building the original binary.

I suspect the same trick which worked from 9.55 (i.e. using 9.51b from Silicon Labs) could work for 9.00 as well. Hence the title of my question.

As I obviously have a valid (free) license for the most recent version, there should be no big problem to use this license with older versions or get a separate license for them?!

Any other suggestions to solve my above mentioned problem are of course appreciated as well ;-)

Re: How to obtain old (pre v9.0) version of Keil Toolchain?

Hi @weipcc,

What is the exact version of the Keil Toolchain that is needed?  The Keil website has a link (https://www.keil.com/download/product/ ) where the license code (LIC) can be entered to gain access to older versions of the compiler.  It appears they have obsoleted versions 1 through 7 and I am not sure if the Silicon Labs license will give access to Version 8 through this link, but please try it.

Thank you,

jpitt

[ Edited ]

, I finally managed to get uVision running

As I obviously have a valid (free) license for the most recent version, 

are you trying to install Keil uvision IDE with a SiLabs acquired license 

the SiLabs license only works for Keil as the compiler/assembler/linker running under Simplicity Studio IDE

erik

I now have got the exact tool chain version I need and it definitely is 9.00.

I have successfully downloaded and installed this tool chain version (9.00) from Keil (not from Silicon Labs). I successfully installed the license with this version, too. However, the code size limit of 4 KiByte still applies here.

However, for 9.51b and 9.55, the code size limit is now gone. Hence, I assume I have a valid "Silicon Labs" license for Keil tool chain in these versions.

Assuming, that my license is valid for version 9.00 as well, I now search for a tool chain with this version, where the code size limit is gone, too.

As mentioned earlier, 9.51b seems to be a special Silicon Labs version of the Keil tool chain (?!).

As installing 9.51b removed the limitation from 9.55 (in conjunction with my valid license key), I guess there may be a similiar "trick" to unlock v9.00 with an older "Silicon Labs Keil installer". The perfect thing of course would be a "Silicon Labs Keil Installer" which installs 9.00 of the tool chain, works with my license key and removes the limitation.

are you trying to install Keil uvision IDE with a SiLabs acquired license

the SiLabs license only works for Keil as the compiler/assembler/linker running under Simplicity Studio IDE

I have a difference experience: The Keil Compiler and Linker show exact the same behavior when run from Silicon Labs IDE and Keil uVsision IDE. I have not tried this with Simplicity Studio, yet.

weipcc wrote:

Assuming, that my license is valid for version 9.00 as well, I now search for a tool chain with this version, where the code size limit is gone, too.

Apparently, this assumption was wrong. This post

http://community.silabs.com/t5/8-bit-MCU/Free-Unlimited-Keil-PK51-for-8-bit-Silicon-Labs-MCUs/td-p/9...

seems to be after version 9.00 has been released. Hence the unlimited license is not valid for 9.00 and I have to purchase a commercial license.

With this, by problem can be seen as "solved".