Accepted Solution

How to build EmberZnet examples on a Mac

I've just acquired a demo kit (SLWSTK6000B) and followed the "Getting Started" instructions in QSG106. I installed Simplicity onto my Mac but I was surprised to see that IAR-EWARM is a Windows .exe file, which I can do nothing with.

Consequently, I get "No Toolchain Configuration" in the IDE when I try to build the example projects. How do I get them to build on a Mac?

Re: How to build EmberZnet examples on a Mac

Hi @fishtrousers,

Yes IAR only has a Windows version of their ARM compiler.  On the Mac (or Linux) the IAR compiler is running using 'wine' (a Windows emulator program). Simplicity Studio installs a copy of wine into its directory structure, but if there is an existing wine installation on the Mac then a symbolic link should be added to that existing installation.  Assuming there is not another installation of wine, open a 'term' session and navigate to where wine is installed and then use wine to launch the IAR-EWARM installer:

'cd /Applications/Simplicity\ Studio.app/Contents/Eclipse/support/common/wine/opt/local/bin'

'./wine ~/Downloads/EWARM-CD-7802-11975.exe'

The IAR installer will then be launched.  After installation the IAR toolchain is stored at Users/[USERNAME]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IAR Systems.  IAR has various evaluation licenses available for the toolchain, but a full license would probably be needed for full development.  After the IAR toolchain is installed a restart of Simplicity Studio should detect it.

The Mesh development team is working on adding gcc support as an option for EmberZNet development, I am not sure when that support will be released.

Another option some people do on the Mac is to run Simplicity Studio inside of 'Parallels' which is a fairly inexpensive program, it can also be used to run the IAR ARM compiler.

I hope the above is enough to get you started building the EmberZNet examples, let me or the Wireless Mesh support forum know if you have additional issues.

Thank you,

jpitt

Re: How to build EmberZnet examples on a Mac

Thanks for the speedy and informative reply.

gcc support would be ideal. I'll keep an eye on this to see if it materialises.