Giant Gecko Starter Kit doesn't upload code under Linux mint

Having installed Simplicity Studio 4 under linux mint, i can compile example code but when it tries to upload to the STK3700 starter kit it fails with a message

"Could not convert J-Link serial number "${sn}" to unsigned integer".

It can see that there is a jlink device as it disappears if I unplug the USB cable - any idea as to why it is doing this and what can i do to correct it

Re: Giant Gecko Starter Kit doesn't upload code under Linux mint

Hi @flicker,

Silicon Labs tests the Linux distribution using Ubuntu v16.04 LTS, but I don't know why it wouldn't also work with mint.  On the Devices tab, the board should be listed as "J-Link Silicon Labs (XXXXXXXXX)" where the Xs are the serial number of the board, do you see that?  Also if expand the J-Link on the Devices tab does it list the EFM32 Giant Gecko Starter Kit?  If you select the J-Link line and then choose Device Configuration (wrench and screwdriver or right click), on the J-Link Configuration tab the J-Link speed should be on "Auto" and the Addressing Mode should be "Serial number".

Assuming the above doesn't lead to a solution then please enable adapter pack logging ([Window]>[Preferences]>[Simplicity Studio]>[Adapter Packs] and click the box next to "Adapter pack log:"). Then restart Simplicity Studio and try to download the project to the board again.  After that please generate a zip file of the Simplicity Studio Logs - [Help] > [Report Bug...] make sure "Export Simplicity Studio log files" is selected, then hit [Next] twice and [Finish] and upload the resulting zip file to either this Community Forum thread or to the support case that was created for this issue.

Thank you,

jpitt

I checked the udev 99 rules file in mint against the one in the simplicity studio directory and they were different, when I copied the contents of the simplicity studio version over it has now started working and it can see and flash the dev board

Hi @petewaddy,

I'm glad you figured it out!  Did you run the Simplicity Studio setup.sh script?  It does copy the udev rules files from StudioLinux to /etc/udev/rules.d as well as install various libraries that Simplicity Studio uses.

Thank you,

jpitt