Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Example bluetooth project does not build

Hi,

I have the latest version of Simplicity 4, fully updated on a Windows 10 x64 box. I tried the Ubuntu installation but it crashed 3 times in a hour so back to Windows... Robot Sad

I am trying to build (GNU ARM) the example Bluetooth SDK SOC-Smart Phone App example for my SLWSTK6000A dev kit. These are the steps I am taking:

- click on example from Bluetooth SDK in Launcher

- create the example project and switch to IDE perspective 

- click the generate button, which reports that no files were generated and one was updated (always)

- build the project

- the build fails with the following error:

Description Resource Path Location Type
#error This sample app only works with a Silicon Labs Board advertisement.c /soc-smartPhone line 17 

from file advertisement.c

I don't appear to have FEATURE_BOARD_DETECTED defined.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Example bluetooth project does not build

Update:

Manually defining EMBER_AF_BOARD_TYPE == BRD4161A and adding this path (C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\sdks\blemesh\v1.0\hardware\kit\EFR32MG12_BRD4161A\config) to the include path finds the bspconfig.h file.

But now I get build errors because the other BSP files are not being built as part of the project. 

Should this have been set up automatically? Is there a way to specify it?

thanks

Hi Silicon Labs

I have spent all day working with the Mighty Gecko starter kit. I am still unable to build any example projects for it.

I have followed all of the guides, watch Youtube videos and read forum posts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice (Ubuntu and Windows). Everything is updated.

I would really appreciate some help. Could you please provide a step by step instruction on how to use Simplicity? All I am trying to do is build and debug *any* project. I've been successfully developing hardware for 15 years across many OS's, tools, platforms, processors, languages... Simplicity V4 appears to have beaten me.

chris250 wrote:

Update:

Manually defining EMBER_AF_BOARD_TYPE == BRD4161A and adding this path (C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\sdks\blemesh\v1.0\hardware\kit\EFR32MG12_BRD4161A\config) to the include path finds the bspconfig.h file.

But now I get build errors because the other BSP files are not being built as part of the project. 

Should this have been set up automatically? Is there a way to specify it?

thanks in advance

Hi @chris250,

I have duplicated the issue you are seeing when I use the BRD4161A.  There is a bug in the Bluetooth SDK that does not generate the project correctly for that board.  In the steps you took to work around the bug, the include path that was added is pointing to the blemesh SDK instead of the Bluetooth SDK.  That path is edited to "${StudioSdkPath}/hardware/kit/EFR32MG12_BRD4161A/config" in the project properties.  But there will still be a bunch of errors as several of the required kit sources files aren't being included in the project.  They can be found using Windows File Explorer and then dragged into the project folder in Simplicity Studio.  I will work up a list of the necessary files.

You mention that you have the SLWSTK6000A development kit.  That kit comes with the BRD4151A board and in my testing with that board, the project is generated correctly and it does build correctly.  So you could try that project to get started with I think you should have a better experience.  The example projects should be very easy to create following the steps you outlined of creating the example project, generating and building.  I apologize that the bug caused the process to be so painful with the BRD4161A.

I will work up additional steps to add the required source files to the BRD416A based project and update this CF thread and I will make sure a bug is entered for creating the project with that board.

Thank you,

jpitt

Hi jpitt

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear it is a bug - I thought I was going mad!! Robot Happy

I have the SLWSTK6000B (my error in previous post) dev kit, and I am using the high powered 19dBm boards.

I look forward to seeing the list of files.

Thanks.

Hi @chris250,

I was able to get the soc-smartphone example application building for the BRD416A.  This is what I did:

1. In Simplicity Studio, I highlighted the project folder and right clicked and chose New -> Folder then I added a folder called "kit".  I repeated the process for a folder called "glib".

2. Using Windows File Explorer I navigated to [SIMPLICITYSTUDIO_INSTALLATION]\developer\sdks\gecko_sdk_suite\v1.1\hardware\kit\common\bsp and highlighted these files:

bsp_bcc.c
bsp_stk_leds.c
bsp_stk.c

I then dragged the files to the "kit" folder in the Simplicity Studio Project Explorer and on the popup dialog that appeared I selected "Link to files" and changed the locations relative to "STUDIO_SDK_LOC".

I then repeated the above link process with the following files from

[SIMPLICITYSTUDIO_INSTALLATION]\developer\sdks\gecko_sdk_suite\v1.1\hardware\kit\common\drivers:

display.c
displayls013b7dh03.c
displaypalemlib.c
i2cspm.c
mx25flash_spi.c
si7013.c
tempsens.c
udelay.c

To the "glib" folder I added these files

[SIMPLICITYSTUDIO_INSTALLATION]\developer\sdks\gecko_sdk_suite\v1.1\platform\middleware\glib\dmd\display\dmd_display.c

[SIMPLICITYSTUDIO_INSTALLATION]\developer\sdks\gecko_sdk_suite\v1.1\platform\middleware\glib\glib:

bmp.c
glib.c
glib_bitmap.c
glib_circle.c
glib_font_narrow_6x8.c
glib_font_normal_8x8.c
glib_font_number_16x20.c
glib_line.c
glib_polygon.c
glib_rectangle.c
glib_string.c

Then I did a project clean and build and everything built correctly.

Incidently when I just the soc-smartphone application for the other radio board in the SLWSTK6000B - the BRD4162A the project was created, generated and built without any issues.  I have created a bug report for the BRD4161A board.

I hope the above steps get you going!

Thank you,

jpitt

Thanks @jpitt I appreciate the help.

Some more feedback for your ticket. I was experimenting on my Macbook Pro at home this morning. I installed the OSX version of Simplicity. That doesn't seem to have the bug in it as the project built straight away without modification. I guess its a Windows thing?

Thanks again.