Highlighted
Super Star
Accepted Solution

Creating a basic embedded project using Simplicity Studio™ v4 and Configurator

I am trying to develop on a custom board using a mighty gecko processor wireless module.

I need to re-define the processor pins and I *think* I should use the Configurator to do this.

I was able to define GPIO pins. that seemed to work.

I am trying to set up the USART0 peripheral and can't figure out how to attack this. 

Where is the documentation that explains how to use the Configurator in Simplicity Studio v4?

I am in a "Configurator" perspective and can select a USART0, but I cannot select the pins I want to use for it, or my settings for it.

Is there a full document that describes how to use Simplicity Studio... I keep getting sent down rabbit holes that lead to specialized hardware that isn't mine and doesn't seem to relate at all.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Re: Creating a basic embedded project using Simplicity Studio™ v4 and Configurator

Hi @RachelA123,

The Configurator is the correct way to do this.  AN0823 describes the basic Configurator operation.  From the Launcher perspective, it is available on the documentation tab in the Application Notes section.  To enable USART0, in the main configurator window, select the "Default Peripherals" tab and click the box next to USART0 to enable it.  That should cause USART0 to show up under Peripherals in the "Outline" box on the right side.   Clicking USART0 in the Outline should open the "Properties of USART0" below it.  In that box the basic operation and settings (baudrate, databits, etc) can be set.

Then in the Outline tab clicking "Port I/O" should open the "Peripheral Mapping" below it.  Scrolling down to the USART0 section, the various pins of the USART can be enabled / disabled and the pin assignment made.  If a pin assignment conflicts with another setting an error message will be displayed in the "Problems" window.  The "Problems" window will also show if any of the selected pins need to have their properties changed to "Push-pull" mode for example.  Clicking on a line in the Problems window will open the corresponding Pin in the "Properties" window where the problem can be corrected.  Also selecting "DefaultMode Port I/O" in the main window can be opened to show the device map and clicking on one of the pins there will also open the Properties for that pin where adjustments can be made.

After all the problems have been resolved and the desired functions configured, pressing the "Save" button will save the .hwconf file and generate the necessary code to initialize the peripherals (see the src/InitDevice.c file).

I hope this helps you proceed with your project.  If you have more questions let me know.  Also if I know if the project is Zigbee or Bluetooth for example, I can direct specific questions to the Applications Engineers in that area to get more assistance.

Thank you,

jpitt

Super Star

Re: Creating a basic embedded project using Simplicity Studio™ v4 and Configurator

hey there...

I am trying to figure out what it means in the hw configurator when you're trying to configure an IO pin and there's the property "reserved"... what does it mean for a pin (Port/bit) to be "reserved" or not?

And How am I supposed to be able to find the answer to this question without going back to you all the time? I do try to be self-sufficient! :-)

Thanks for your help!

R