Low power mode on Si1060

Hi all,

I'm evaluating Si1060 with the related development kit. I would like to know if there is a guide for low power mode development, and specifically if it is possible to be in low power mode and wake up when a radio message is received.

Thank you in advance

Re: Low power mode on Si1060

You can consider LDC mode of si446x/si106x. in LDC mode, the chip will enter Rx mode and sleep mode periodically according to your Rx and sleep time setting. You can enable the Rx packet received interrupt, once the packet is received, the nIRQ interrupt can wakup the MCU part.

Juanyong

Hi jychen,

LDC seems to be a fast way to implement it, but on the contrary, it needs to be expending 18,5 mA periodically. Is it possible to implement this in a different way.

Can I put the receiver in standby mode and wake up with RX packet interrupt or something like that?

Best regards

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> rev

The 1060 will not receive anything in standby mode.

As suggested to get current consumption down you need to use LDC mode.

You need to get your duty cycle correct, ie on time vs off time.

That way your average current consumption could be around 6mA.

Paul

6 mA? That's really the lower power consumption I can get?

I assumed it could be lower, isn't it?

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> rev

No, to stay in rx mode requires power.

What were you trying to achieve as far as power consumption goes ?

What is your application ?

Paul

Hi,

I need to do something when a RF message is received. Battery could never be replaced, and it should be as tiny as possible, a cell coin, for instance.

I can wait up to 1 second from transmission to reception. So I was assuming I will be able to wake up 10 msecs each second, working LDC with a duty cycle of 1%... But as far as I understand, you are stating it is not possible. 6mA means that lower duty cycle is 33% WTF!

I think you should be wrong, a low power microcontroller must have a lower average current consumption.

Can any employee clarify this?

Best regards.

Hi all,

In fact, using WDS I created both projects for RX and TX using LDC. I configured receiver for waking up 10 msecs in a WUT of 1,01 secs and it seems to work fine in development board.

As far as I understand, in this case, duty cycle is 1%, so average current is 181 uA, am I right?

Best regards

Seems that there is no such kind of demo code. The demo code checked the interrupt continuously whether there defined event happens without considering the low power application.

Juanyong

Hi Juanyong,

I'd not realized on that fact. But anyway, it should be possible to wake up from that timer interruption, isn't it?

Moreover, is not really possible to enter in a deeper low power mode?

Best regards.

Hi again,

Anyway, let me repeat my original question. Is there any guide or whatever in order to help me know how can I implement low power mode on Si1060?

I don't think I'm the only customer interested in this feature.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

It is a shame that:

1. LDC sample provided by Silabs doesn't work.

2. It seems that there is nobody can state some lines about how it can be fixed, or how low power mode can be implemented.

We've chosen Silabs since it looks like low power was a must in this company, so may be we should have a sample an modify a bit in order to have swiftly a pre-release version.

My experience, if anyone interested, and as it can be read in this post:

DON'T PURCHASE SI1060 THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE A LOW POWER SAMPLE and THEY DOESN'T KNOW HOW IT MUST BE MADE.

Now I understand why, two days after opening this issue, Silabs was continuously sending me messages suggesting to close it as fixed.

Regards.

That is very strange.

I have LDC working on several products i have commercialized.

1060 is a great chip solution but i have now moved across to the EZR series.

I would suggest you cant get LDC going because you dont really understand the concepts behind it all.

Maybe study the information available from silabs which is what everyone else does.

Paul 

Hi,

I can study it, and in fact is what I need to do.

BUT, usually when a manufacturer provides an example, it is assumed that example will work. So I estimate something for a custormer, assuming that Silabs have also studied its products, as the rest of manufacturers do, and so I assumed examples provided will work.

Unfortunately, I trusted in Silabs, and that was my mistake.

So I performed a bad estimation, because I though that low power will not be an issue, since examples of it were provided.

Next time, I will choose Texas or other company whose examples usually works, because who implemented them have studied their own products, in opposition to Silabs.

Best regards.

Its sad you think this re silabs.

But give TI a go and see if you can make that suit your needs.

I doubt it very much but wish you the best.

Paul

Hi,

At least TI examples work.

At least TI engineers have enough knowledge for providing some guidelines to developers.

On Silabs, LOW POWER MODE EXAMPLES DON'T WORK.

THERE IS NOT ANY EMPLOYEE ABLE TO PROVIDE OR TO REFER TO ANY GUIDE.

I hope that someone responsible on the company read this post. I will refer it to my distributor on next meeting.

Regards.

Highlighted

The 1060 is a wireless MCU, which contains an EzRadioPro RF chip (the Si4460, if I recall correctly) and a 8051 microcontroller. These are wire-bonded inside the package. Your best bet is to take a look at the documentation of both.

Regarding the RF chip: the Si4460 consumes between 13.7 and 22 mA when in receive mode. For lower power operation, you have several options:

• low power receive mode (10.9 mA according to the datasheet, table 1.)
  • low duty cycle mode (which works by turning the receiver on and off at specific intervals)
  • preamble sense mode (6 mA according to the datasheet)

Depending on your application, you can configure and combine these modes to achieve your required power consumption goals.

There are several pieces of documentation available:

• The device datasheet
  • Numerous application notes
  • API documentation
  • And of course, the WDS which you can use to generate the configuration for you.