Si1153 gesture sensor libraries needed.

Hi,

I am in need of Si1153 gesture sensor libraries.In user guide,it is not clearly written how to detect particular gestures.Is there any application notes ?

Regards,

Akshay

Re: Si1153 gesture sensor libraries needed.

Hi,

We do not provide gesture libraries, but we do have an example code for basic up, down, left and right gesture detection with our Si1133/5x OPT-EXP-EVB.

If you install the Si1133/5x programmer's toolkit, you should be able to find the gesture algorithm source code under "C:\SiliconLabs\Optical_Sensors\Si115x\source\si115x_lib\Gesture example" after installation.

Regards,

Tony

CH1_PS =Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT1) +
256 * Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT0);
CH2_PS =Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT3) +
256 * Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT2);
CH3_PS =Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT5) +
256 * Si115xReadFromRegister (REG_HOSTOUT4);

It has 0-25 output register.Why this program reads only 6 registers.It is mentioned in user guide

As per datasheet as mentioned,there are 6 channels in si1153. what does a channel mean?

I want to detect motions UP-DOWN,DOWN-UP,LEFT-RIGHT,RIGHT-LEFT,NEAR,FAR,these things seems to be feasible..

Apart from these gestures I want SLOW-UP DOWN,SLOW-DOWN UP,FAST-UP DOWN,FAST-DOWN UP

You may be able to detect UP-DOWN, DOWN-UP, LEFT-RIGHT, RIGHT-LEFT, NEAR and FAR, but the rest will be very challenging. I recommend you to evaluate those motions with our Si1133/5x OPT-EXP-EVB. Anyway, you'll have to implement your own gesture detection algorithm.

Different channels can be configured to take different measurements. For example, we use channel 1 to driver LED1, channel 2 to driver LED2 and channel 3 to driver LED3 for gesture detections. The data outputs are placed in HOSTOUTx registers. In this case, since there're only 3 channels enabled, you will only get 6 bytes from HOSTOUTx registers. The 26 HOSTOUTx registers are placeholders if you have multiple channels running at the same time.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for your helpful reply.

As mentioned three channels for three LEDs.then why 6 channels are given.Where can we use remaining three channels if needed.

Regards,

Akshay.

I want to use lenses to increase proximity area upto 200cm as mentioned. will Si1133/5x OPT-EXP-EVB board  have these lenses?

Datasheet mentions about 50cm proximity range but does not mention what is Gesture detection active range

1. You can use other channels to take proximity or ambient light measurement as needed.

2. Yes, there's a long range proximity demo on the Si1133/5X OPT-EXP-EVB with the lens.

3. Without the lens, the proximity measurement can work reliably at 30~40cm. Depending on the placement of the sensor and the LED, the gesture detection active range is about 10~15cm.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for your help.

This sensor doesn't seem to meet our requirement.I want sensor having gesture detection area about minimum 80cm.Can you suggest any part number?

Regards,

Akshay.

It won't work unless you have multiple sensors and multiple LEDs, and you'll have to place the lens on each sensor to achieve long distance detection.

Regards,
Tony

Si1133/5X OPT-EXP-EVB has lense only for proximity detection not for gesture detection.Can't we use lense to increase gesture detection range?

Using lense can increase the proximity detection range, but also limits the view angle of the sensor. Therefore, the LED has to be placed close to the sensor. However, for gesture detection, the distance between the sensor and the LEDs has to be wide enough to see the difference.

If you really want to increase the gesture detection range, you need multiple sensors with lense and multiple LEDs placed at different location. However, Si1153 only supports 2 different I2C addresses, which limits the number of sensors you can have on the same I2C bus.

Regards,

Tony

Ok.Thanks.I want sensor like

Sensor-->>inactive area(x cm)-->active ares(y cm)-->inactive area(z cm).I want to detect gestures in active area only.Sensor shouldnt detect gestures in inactive area.Will it be feasible by setting any threshold values?or firmware needs  to handle inactive and active area by simultaneously by using proximity distance calculation?

The sensor itself cannot tell active/inactive area or detect gesture without host firmware. You have to run your simulation with the raw data read from the sensor and implement the algorithm in the host firmware to achieve that.

Regards,

Tony