August 2016 Member Spotlight: hollie

by Administrator Nari ‎08-18-2016 10:01 AM - edited ‎08-18-2016 10:02 AM

We are featuring one of the Silicon Labs Community members who is active or new in the community on a monthly basis to help members connect with each other.

Meet our July member of the month: hollie

0,17,640,640.jpg

Q: Congrats on becoming our featured member of the month! Can you introduce yourself to our community members?

Thanks, I’m honored to be featured! I’m Lieven Hollevoet, located in Belgium. 

I’ve been interested in engineering since childhood. I vividly remember the many devices that I disassembled to get to know what made them tick. Re‐assembly was a challenge and a learning experience too. I’m still sorry about my sisters’ fancy alarm clock that proved a too big challenge for me that time :-).

Then I discovered electronics around my 12’s and I started building kits. That evolved into making my own circuit designs. Of course I studied electronics after high school.

I started my career at the research institute imec working in the wireless system department where we designed power‐efficient ASICs for next- generation high‐speed standards. During that time, we also had cooperation with local SME’s to assist them in bringing new technology into their existing products.

In 2012 an ex‐colleague from imec and me started our own company ‘Quicksand’ where we design low power electronics. Typical examples are devices that need to operate a long time on a single battery charge. We already have a track record of a few challenging projects like a wearable personal communicator for elderly, a smart water valve/meter combination, and various sensor devices.

As part of our quest for low‐power solutions, we have also built up quite some experience with a low‐power wide area communication solution called Sigfox.

Q: How did you know about the Silicon Labs Community?

Since we focus on low‐power applications, the EFM32 series of microcontrollers are our default go‐to devices when we design a new application. I discovered them right before Silicon Labs integrated that family into their product line. I was a user of the ‘Lizard Lounge’ forum that was setup by Energy Micro, so when the forums were transferred I followed them to the Silicon Labs Community.

Q: What features would you like to see added to the community?

Content‐wise all is there, but according to me it would be nice to have subsections on the forum under 32‐bit devices for the different controller families. Now when you search for info sometimes the hits you get are for a different 32‐bit controller family. It would be nice to be able to narrow the searches down to the exact family you’re searching information on.

Q: What advice would you give to someone new to the community?

First of all: I welcome new users! The more users the community has the stronger it is.

Secondly: don’t only use the forum to post questions when you’re running into problems. Give back to the community from time to time by helping others.

Thirdly: when you have a question and you want to post a question, first check for similar posts. When that does not help then be sure to provide a complete description. Give all details required to understand the problem and to be able to recreate it. Give schematics, source code extracts, … The more the better. The people who can be helping you out are only be able to do so when they understand the problem you have.

Q: Thanks for answering the questions. Any final comment?

Keep up the very good work of providing a multi-platform suite of tools for most energy-friendly microcontrollers on the market. Combining the compiler with a way of measuring the power consumption of the application you’re developing is unique in the market and helps us in developing our applications in an efficient way.