April 2016 Member Spotlight: Timur

by Administrator Siliconlabs on ‎04-20-2016 09:45 AM - last edited on ‎04-21-2016 03:42 AM by Administrator Nari

We are featuring one of the Silicon Labs Community members who is active or new in the community on a monthly basis to help members connect with each other.

Meet our April member of the month: Timur

Timur.jpg

Q: Congrats on becoming our featured member of the month! Can you introduce yourself to our community members? 

My name is Timur Kristóf and I live in Budapest, Hungary. I came from a strong software development background. For many years I used to work on web apps, mostly large content management systems and enterprise software. I did some mobile app development as well. Eventually, a defining moment in my life led me to return to my old dream of becoming an electrical engineer. So these days I attend the Budapest University of Technology and Economics. But I've always been interested in doing more than just study, and that's why I joined the Department of Broadband Infocommunications and Electromagnetic Theory. Here I came in contact with some good people and got the chance to work on cool and exciting projects and learn the practical aspects of engineering.

Q: How did you know about the Silicon Labs Community?

At the lab, some of my colleagues have used the Si446x RF chip and some 8051 devices, so that's how I got to know Silicon Labs. It was natural to me to go to the Silicon Labs forum when I had questions about these devices.

On one occasion I was browsing the website and discovered that you guys also have 32-bit MCUs, and even support GCC on them. As a software guy and an open source hippie, I was very happy to see that I could finally get my hands on a device that I could program using a decent compiler. Not only that, but a few of them have a built-in radio in it! That's how I discovered the EZR32. It was love at first sight. I'm also excited about the EFR, but got the impression that it still needs time to mature on the software side.

Q: You won the third prize in the Low Power Contest with your next generation falconry system project. Do you have something in mind for your next project?

My next project is the development of the on-board computer of SMOG-1, the small satellite whose electronics we develop here in the lab. It's a team effort and the whole thing is a great challenge for us. But if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing, right? This is also an awesome opportunity for us to learn a great deal of practical expertise. I'd like to thank my team for everything they've done for me, I could not have made it this far without them.

There is also still work to be done on the falconry system. I'd like the user experience to be just perfect, so I'm in the process of polishing it up. Building a working prototype is easy, making a likeable device that users can rely on takes a more considerable effort. Robot Happy

Q: What pages do you usually visit in the Silicon Labs Community, and why?

Most of the time I just browse the 32-bit MCU forums. It is always nice to learn new things about the hardware or hear of new ways to use it. I also drop by the Wireless forum mostly to talk about the Si446x or the EFR. There are some people whose posts are always very educational to read, like @Alf or @zopapp. I'm immensely grateful to them and everyone else who answered my questions or helped me better understand how things work. When I can, I also help other community members when they encounter problems that I'm familiar with.

Q: Thanks for answering the questions. Any final comment?

It has been a great honor for me to be included among the featured members. I like the direction in which Silicon Labs is heading now, it is always nice to see that a family of products has a good community because it means that the product is relevant and interesting. However, many hardware companies failed because they had neglected to perfect the software that runs on their devices. Please don't fall into this trap! I hope to see more cool stuff from Silicon Labs in the future and hope that the spirit of collaboration that we see in the community today will continue.