20th Anniversary: Spotlight on Silicon Labs in Singapore

by Administrator llooper ‎04-29-2016 09:02 AM - edited ‎05-23-2016 12:33 PM

This gleaming modern city by the ocean is represented by a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish – the Merlion. The body symbolizes Singapore’s beginnings as a simple fishing village, while the head represents the city’s original name, Singapura, which means ‘lion city’ in Malay.

One of Singapore’s most famous landmarks is Merlion Park where the famous Merlion statue, 8.6 meters tall and weighing 70 tons, looks out over the bay.

Fun Facts

• Locals joke that there are four seasons in Singapore: HOT, HOTTER, WET, and WETTER
  • It’s a melting pot of cultures: 74.2% Chinese, 13.3% Malay, 9.2% Indian, and 3.3% other
  • Four main languages are spoken English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil

The city-state is located just 1.5° north of the equator and consists of a diamond-shaped main island as well as more than 60 small islets – a total land area of just 445 square miles or 716 kilometers. Yet in that small area, Singapura still roars! Approximately 5.4 million people live in Singapore.

It has long been recognized globally as a center of business and technology, Silicon Labs expanded its operations to Singapore in 2004, and it is now our international headquarters with more than 150 employees. Our employees there perform a range of functions including, design engineering, product testing, manufacturing support and process planning, and corporate support.

Singapore Office.png

A Fast-Paced Environment, Great People

Our staff tells us what it’s like to work for Silicon Labs International. Kenneth Kong, Supplier Manager since 2008 says, “I find the work challenging and dynamic. Every day when I come into the office, there will be different problems to solve – both technical and non-technical. The challenge of meaningful work offers constant opportunities to develop world-class skills and an opportunity to raise myself to the next level.”  Suby John Pellissery, a Design Engineering Manager loves the work she does, “Integrated Circuit (IC) design is my passion. Every day I get to work on new design areas, interact with experts and learn new things. And it’s a nice experience to see your hard work back in the form of this tiny IC!”

Sheila Marie Galang Letun, Staff Packaging Engineer, tells us, “There is never a dull moment in my job. I love it because it gives me both the chance to apply and share my experience and at the same time, learn new things every day.  There is always a general sense of openness where you can speak to your colleagues or to the management team about your thoughts regardless of your level or position. You’ll get a sincere and honest response. This shows me that respect and trust in each other is always here at Silicon Labs.  Sheila goes on to say, “since the company is small, the people mostly know each other so task on hand can be accomplished fast, you get answers quickly, move things easily. In my opinion, Silicon Labs is very efficient and cultivates responsibility in each employee because they are empowered and trained to do their job right.”

In addition to a stimulating work environment, our staff tells us that when they aren’t at work, Singapore offers countless things to do and see. Here are a few highlights:

• Singapore Botanic Gardens. Not to be missed, you can stroll through old growth rain forest or marvel at the National Orchid Garden, with over 3,000 different types of orchids.
  • Amazing Wildlife Reserves. Go on a Night Safari and see the world’s first safari parks for nocturnal animals. Jurong Bird Park boasts some of the largest free-flying aviaries in the world. See the giant pandas, Kai Kai and Jia Jia at the River Safari or visit the renowned Singapore Zoo.
  • Street Food. A street food paradise, look for spicy multi-ethnic dishes like the delectable unofficial national dish, Chicken Rice, or a Silicon Labs employee favorite, Chili Crab. If you don’t know where to start, Food Prowlers can take you on a guided tour of the best in Singapore’s local food spots.

For more information on Singapore, go to the official tourist & travel guide, YourSingapore – and next time you visit, say hello to our coworkers!

And don’t forget to read the previous post in this series here.