<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Star</font></font> </a> wjo

questions on resuming development with ETRX3/EM357

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid I'll have to supply all of you with quite a bit of background information to get my question and situation clear.

The company (small business, less than 10 employees, most of us are uni level) have been using Telegesis ETRX3 for well over 5 years in their main product.

We want to resume development on phasing out the ETRX3 and replacing it by the EM357/358 (not decided at this point).The engineers that used to work on the Telegesis module have since left the company.

Currently we make use of the UART/serial interface to communicate from the ETRX3 to the main processor on our privately developed product. I started work here well over a year ago and never touched the Telegesis software and the software of the product processor.

5 years ago the company bought a EM35X dev kit. Since then a lot has changed, as far as I know the EmberZnet version we currently use is fairly outdated. Previous attempts to use the EM357 were halted as the previous person in charge of ETRX3 and EM357 work left the company (other reasons).

Our products that need to interface with the ETRX3 have custom software running on the microcontroller sending and reading the aforementioned AT commands (we call this our zigbeemanager).

Thats the background information done with.

Does our company have right to acces and use to the most recent version of the EmerZnet PRO stack, knowing we purchased an em35x devkit back in 2012? we are currently working on reactivating and retrieving the registration keys.

Is the EmberZnet PRO stack backward compatable? We currently are unsure Zigbee version is running on the Telegesis (Zigbee 2006, Zigbee PRO, application profile, what emberznet pro version are we using?). We are aware of backward compatability problems with Zigbee 2006 and 2007 networks and thus want to know what emberZnet version we use and zigbee version we are using.

What are the advantages of using Simplicity Studio over Ember Desktop? People working on the project have very little experience with either. We want as few compitability issues with our Zigbeemanager software as possible (custom at software to interface with the old etrx3 at) and naturaly we want to develop the highest quality software in as little time as possible. 

Highlighted
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> YK

Re: questions on resuming development with ETRX3/EM357

1. Since you have em35x devkit, it is no problem to register and use emberZNet.

2. As I know, latest emberZNet still supports em35x.

3. Ember Desktop is obsolete IDE and it's recommended to use Simplicity Studio now.

If my reply answers your question, please click on "Kudo"s or "Accept as Solution"s to benefit others who have the same issue.

YK Chen

Re: questions on resuming development with ETRX3/EM357

So long as you have registered your kit in the past, you have access to all versions of the stack.  If you are missing access, you can get it via the serial number of your kit, which can be found on the bottom right of the back of the user quick start guide.

I don't fully understand your question about backwards compatibility, so I will do by best to answer your question about it.  As far a the AT Command set of the Telegesis modules, they are built upon the EmberZNet, but the stack only not the application layer.  Their stacks are ZigBee R20 compliant.  The latest EmberZNet stacks are R21 compliant (IE Zigbee 3.0).

Given that you are probably going to need to run one of the most recent versions of EmberZNet (5.10 or later), you will have to use Simplicity Studio v4.  This is the main thing of the use of Studio vs Ember Desktop, which stack version you are running.

How are you planning on communicating from your software with the updated EmberZNet firmware of your new parts?  Thanks.