Updating the NCP on the Borderrouter with the Bootloader

I'm trying to update the firmware of the EM3588 USB Stick from CEL on the Border Router without the ISA3 programmer as described in QSG102 v0.3

As you can see it Fails when i try to start the bootloader

bootloader start failed.PNG

Is it because of the Thread Version 1.0.4?

If it is not possible to update on the border router, is it possible with Simplicity Studio to update the USB Stick?

Thx for your help

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Super Star</font></font> </a> ETL

Re: Updating the NCP on the Borderrouter with the Bootloader

happened the same for me. Had to use ISA 3 to program in the NCP image and bootloader. After that it worked fine.

The issue is there is a typo in this revision (0.3) of QSG102 describing the update feature.  

On page six the line that reads:

$ cd /opt/siliconlabs/threadborderrouter/tools/ncp-updater

$ ./bootload-ncp-util-app --uart /dev/ttyUSB0 --launchbootloader

Should read:

$ cd /opt/siliconlabs/threadborderrouter/tools/ncp-updater

./bootload-ncp-util-app --uart /dev/ttyUSB0 --launchbootloader

Note the extra $ on the new line was being interpreted as part of the firmware filename and causing an error. 

my knowledge about linux is not so good, but i think the in the QSG102 says that it is a new line to write

do you mean that i should write this comands in one line like this?

$ cd /opt/siliconlabs/threadborderrouter/tools/ncp-updater ./bootload-ncp-util-app --uart /dev/ttyUSB0 --launchbootloader

actually this dosnt work for me, how do you think i have to write it?

Highlighted

I misread your initial post, so please disregard my earlier comment.  The "$" indicates a new command, and the procedure in QSG102 is indeed correct.  We will try to reproduce the error that you're seeing.  

In the mean time, we can offer two possible solutions:

1. Update the firmware using the ISA3 debug adapter.  You would have an ISA3 debug adapter if you are working with the EM35x family of devices.  (Note that if you are working with the EFR32 family of devices and have the SLWSTK6000A development kit, you will not be able to update the CEL USB stick.)  The firmware is located in the Thread 1.0.7 stack distribution:

application:    /ncp-images/em3588/ncp-uart.s37

bootloader:    /tool/bootloader-em3588/serial-uart-bootloader/serial-uart-bootloader.s37 

IMPORTANT: The device should be erased before programming.

2. Arrange for the Silicon Labs field or factory team to update the CEL USB stick.  Please file a support portal request and we'll get it arranged.  Be sure to specify the border router part number RD-0004-0201 in your request so that the request is routed promptly.