Accepted Solution

Update the NCP software then stop on "Restarting NCP into Bootloader mode..."

[ Edited ]

Follow UG129 Rev. 0.5 to update Zigbee Gateway software, it can not work after update NCP  software.

the Zigbee Gateway can work before, just old image and NCP software.   I try to  update the old NCP FW, but the screen had stopped on  "Restarting NCP into Bootloader mode..." every time.

Could you help me? what can I do now?

Re: Update the NCP software then stop on "Restarting NCP into Bootloader mode..."

hi ,

report the detail

I follow UG129.pdf to setup the Gateway on Pi 2. it is work before.

then I follow the ug129-zigbee-gateway-ref-design-guide.pdf to update the Gateway, then it is not work now. ps:i had used new key (90CE4F77)

who can make sure it is work if i follow the  ug129-zigbee-gateway-ref-design-guide.pdf and buy a new USB zigbee (CEL MeshConnect)?

Re: Update the NCP software then stop on "Restarting NCP into Bootloader mode..."

I am having the same problem and have tried lots of different configurations with no success. I have one working gateway kit (the silicon Labs pre-configured gateway kit), and I am trying to build a second kit using a separately purchased Pi and CEL USB dongle. I have loaded the gateway code on the Pi and am able to browse to the setup page. I have tried loading the NCP into the dongle using the command from UG129 and I also tried using the EFR32 Gecko kit instead of the CEL. I get the same result for both - stuck with the message 'Restarting NCP into Bootloader mode'.

I then loaded the NCP image into the USB dongle using the EFR32 kit. The Pi still does not see the NCP. I turned on the Server Log and get:

2017/04/19 14:48:12.311 There are no ZigBee NCP images connected

2017/04/19 14:48:12.312 ncp.py scan: Connecting to.. /dev/ttyACM0 115200 False True
2017/04/19 14:48:12.313 ncp.py scan exception: SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input

Next, I took the dongle from the working gateway and inserted it to the new Pi and rebooted. Again, the setup page shows 'ZigBee Network Unknown' and  hitting 'Reform Network' does not do anything. Finally, I took the new dongle that I programmed with the EFR32 kit and inserted it into the working gateway and then I also see the  'ZigBee Network Unknown' message on this gateway. Switch back to the original dongle and the gateway works again. Seems odd that the NCP I programmed would not work on the original Pi. I wonder if the version of the NCP has to match the gateway version?
I am hoping that Silicon Labs can jump in here and help resolve this.

Thanks for your information, I am hoping the Silabs can feedback something too.

hi Tsai07, Tilco,

I suggest you start from gateway 2.1.0 release and install it on to a RPi 2 hardware.
http://www.silabs.com/documents/public/user-guides/ug129-zigbee-gateway-ref-design-guide.pdf

Still follow UG129 rev 0.5 above, you need to start from a fresh Jessie lite image 5-31-16 version but with some update below:

1. You need to use the new apt-key:
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 90CE4F77

2. After apt-get install the silabs-zigbee-gateway, the mosquitto package installed on Pi (1.4.9-0mosquitto2) may suffer unexpected service termination. It is recommended to downgarde it to 1.4.9-0mosquitto1 to avoid this issue.
$ sudo apt-get install mosquitto=1.4.9-0mosquitto1

3. You need to replace the ncp.py script with the attached one to scan a valid and update ncp firmware.

Please note that the EZSP protocol was updated from v4 to v5 since ZNet stack 5.9.0 release. Older gateway host sw (v1.2 ZNet 5.7.4.1) is not compatible to the newer 5.9.x ncp firmware and vice versa.

The attached ncp.py has been modified to work for both EZSP v4 and v5 ncp firmware. Note that after install the 2.1.0 gateway, you need to update the ncp firmware to 5.9.x first so that gateway 2.1.0 can work properly.

The ncp.py can be used to upgrade CEL EM3588 mesh-connect USB stick and the EFR32MG WSTK firmware provided that there is already a valid ncp firmware flahsed before and runs either EZSP v4 or v5 properly.

$ sudo service siliconlabsgateway stop

$ sudo python ncp.py scan

$ sudo python ncp.py flash -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -f /opt/siliconlabs/zigbeegateway/firmware/ncp-uart/em3588/ncp-uart-xon-xoff-use-with-serial-uart-btl-5.9.0.ebl

or 

$ sudo python ncp.py flash -p /dev/ttyACM0 -f /opt/siliconlabs/zigbeegateway/firmware/ncp-uart/efr32mg1p232f256gm48/ncp-uart-rts-cts-use-with-serial-uart-btl-5.9.0.ebl  

If current firmware on these hardware isn't a valid ncp firmware or the ncp firmware has been corrupted, you need re-flash a valid ncp + bootloader images using the ISA3 debugger for the CEL USB stick or using the Simplicity Studio to flash the corresponding ncp + bootloader images via JTAG.

See if these help.

Hi Rayc,

Very thanks. it can work now after follow your guideline.  the  CEL EM3588 mesh-connect USB stick can be updated and work fine as before.

This works for me also. Thanks for the quick resolution.