Highlighted

Mesh networking and using Thread - simplified IPv6 connected home

[ Edited ]

Thread, a simplified IPv6-based mesh networking protocol, helps you connect products around the home to each other, to the internet and to the cloud. If you're looking at building mesh networks we've made gathered some info here to help you get started, and if you have any questions, just respond in the thread below.

More useful links:

Getting started with Thread

Thread Concepts

How to Build a Thread Application

Border Router Basics

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> rev

Re: Mesh networking and using Thread

So i would assume that this could be implemented on the EZR22LG dev kit ?

Also, my understanding is that it wont be available till September ?

Paul

Re: Mesh networking and using Thread

Paul - Good questions.

Re: EZR32LG - No, because that's sub-GHz, and Thread is only using 2.4GHz DSSS PHY with IEEE 802.15.4 MAC.  (There are various sub-GHz proposals for 802.15.4 floating around, but anything we'd do with sub-GHz and Thread networking would be on next-gen SOCs, not EZRadio/EZR32 platforms.)

Re: Thread availability - All I can say at the moment is "much sooner than that."  You will be pleasantly surprised, I think.

--------
The views represented in this post are the independent views of the author and don't necessarily represent the official views of Silicon Labs.

Re: Mesh networking and using Thread - simplified IPv6 connected home

Here's a question we got:

How does thread work? Have i understood it right that it is same as Zigbee, but in addition to mesh network connection, a device with Thread is also connected to WiFi directly to our home router. Does that mean, we do not need an extra Gateway device and one of the thread network device, like for example thermostat itself shall act as gateway itself?

Regarding the previous comment:

Thread is not "just like ZigBee".  They are both 802.15.4-based mesh networking protocols, but all of the layers above the MAC layer are different (and even the use of the MAC layer differs slightly).  Nor is Thread "directly connected to WiFi".  Only the border router devices bridge between the Thresh mesh network and some other IPV6-enabled PHY, such as Wi-Fi/802.11 or Ethernet/802.3, acting like a "gateway".

See Thread training videos in the Training section of this Community for more details on how Thread works and how it differs from ZigBee Pro.

--------
The views represented in this post are the independent views of the author and don't necessarily represent the official views of Silicon Labs.

Questions: 

1. Could we expect modules from Silicon Labs with comparable pries to BGM111?

2. What about average power consumption comparison between BGM111 and any Thread device acting as leaf (i.e. sensor) and gateway (repeater)?

Best Regards

Mike

Hi can this run on BGM111 and whats the power consumption difference between thread and BLE?

Regards,

Patrick