Accepted Solution

Don't find .ebl file for ZigBee (or Thread) application

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone !

I use the EFR32 Mighty Gecko Starter kit and I want to create a ZigBee network, so I follow the instruction in the QSG106: Getting Started with EmberZNet PRO. But when I don't find the .ebl file in the 4.3.5 (Browse to the folder with your compiled application (<folder on General tab>\app\builder \ <projectName> \IAR ARM - <qualifier>) and select the .ebl file.)

I have made a research on my computer, but he doesn't exist... How the .ebl file appear ?

I use the EmberZNet 5.8.0 and the full version of IAR ARM 7.80.2

Re: Don't find .ebl file for ZigBee (or Thread) application

Hi Oceane,

I followed the instructions in QSG106_EFR32_ZigBeePRO.pdf in order to reproduce the scenario and I was able to find my .ebl file.

There is a chance your build did not complete completely and thus the .ebl was not made. Please check the console output for completion as shown on p.19 of the QSG.

Another way to check and locate the .ebl is the following: in your Studio Project Explorer window, under your project, there should be a folder called "IAR ARM - Default" -- if you tip the triangle down to browse the folder, about halfway through the files, you should see 5 files with slightly different icons from the rest (triangles in a blue/purple circle) -- these are the compiler outputs (one is a debug file with a little bug icon) -- they will be called [your_filename].bin, .ebl, .hex, .out, .s37. If they are not there, your project has not yet successfully compiled and you should check your steps again.

If they *are* there, right-click on the .ebl, (mine is called Z3LightSoc_581_12212016.ebl) and pick Properties. If you copy the Location field, you can just paste that right into the "Application image path" of the "Upload application" window.

Please note that the folder structure in the Project Explorer window does not represent the actual file/folder structure on the hard disk, just the conceptual structure of the project.

Best,

-Alex

Hi Alex,

I think the build is completely finished (Has you can see in the picture call "build finished")

Has you said, in the Project Explorer windows in Simplicity Studio, in my project (Z3LightSoc), I open the IAR ARM - Default file and I search the file Z3LightSoc.bin/.ebl/.hex/.out/.s37 ; but I just saw Z3LightSoc.bin/.hex/.log/.map/.s37.... There is no .ebl file...! (Has you can see in the picture call "file bin hex s37")

When I go in the "real" project file on my computer I also can see Z3LightSoc.bin/.hex/.log/.map/.out/.s37 files. But no .ebl file...

And there is a text file "Z3LightSoc-image-builder-output", I have made a screenshot call "image builder output".

Best Regards,

- Océane

Highlighted

I also encountered this issue.

Here is my solution:

1. right click on the project click properties.

2. Go to C/C++ build/Environment.

3. Add an environment variable here:

ISA3_UTILS_DIR

C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\adapter_packs\em3xx\utils(this is my path, need to modify if your install path is different)

4. Build project again.

You should find the .ebl file now.

It works !

Thank you !

Hi Devon,

Thank you for adding the information about the ISA3_UTILS_DIR path. This should not normally be necessary, so I'll  check with the developers on why that may not happened.

-Alex

In addition, it may be helpful for anyone encountering this problem to know that you don't need a .ebl file to program an application -- you can use an .s37 file just as easily and that's what I normally use.

-Alex

Super Star

I just got my EFR32MG wireless dev kit.  I went through Getting Started with Silicon Labs Thread and had this same issue.  Adding ISA3_UTILS_DIR to the project build environment worked.  However, I found I didn't need to do this after I installed ISA3_Utilities_4.9.3 from support software downloads.  The ISA3_Utilities_4.9.3 installer added the utils directory to the path.