Accepted Solution

VCP Driver for CP2114

Hello,

I am interested in using the CP2114 USB Audio Bridge IC for an application and noticed that it also contains an auxiliary UART Interface as well. What I'm wondering is if there is a plug-and-play virtual com port (VCP) driver available for this IC? On the Si-Labs product page, there is a link for the "CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers." I just wanted to confirm that these work with this chip, as the app notes I read for it don't list the CP2114 as one of the compatible chips, only the CP210x series of chips (unless they mean CP21xx rather than CP210x). Any clarification you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Jason O

Re: VCP Driver for CP2114

hi @Jdo300,

The CP2114 uses the standard USB HID device class, which is natively supported by most operating systems, so it don't need to work with the VCP driver.
And the AN433 provides the information for how to communicate with the uart interface through the HID.

http://www.silabs.com/documents/public/application-notes/AN433-CP2110-4-HID-to-UART-API-Spec.pdf

Thanks

Hi Yucheng,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I remember seeing AN433, which talked about the API library for directly communicating using the HID interface. However, I want to know if there is a ready-made driver available that will make the device automatically enumerate as a standard COM port? I write my software in C# and already have code written that works with the standard SerialPort object for COM port communications.

What I would like to know is if the driver listed below would work with the CP2114?

http://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Assuming that it allows the device to automatically create a COM port when plugged in.

Thank you,

Jason O

@Jdo300

I think there is no method available to make the the HID display as a standard COM port.

CP2114 implements a USB-to-UART interface using the HID protocol. This is an interrupt-based protocol using a driver that's built in to most operating systems. You will not be able to use the VCP driver that for CP210x, which is based on a USB bulk protocol.

My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Silicon Labs

WeiguoLu

@delu,

Thank you for your response. If this is the case, do you know if Silicon Labs offers any code samples for their HID API library showing how to configure and use the UART on the PC side? This would be very helpful to reduce development time. So far, the only programming reference I am aware of is AN433, but I have not yet found any example code for using the library.

Thank you,

Jason O

Highlighted

@Jdo300

As far as I remember there are examples that come with the CP2114 software package that show how to use it.

http://www.silabs.com/products/interface/usb-bridges/classic-usb-bridges/device.cp2114

WeiguoLu