SetCommBreak/ClearCommBreak problem with CP2102

Hi, I'm trying to implement bit-banged serial interface (TX, RTS, DTR) using a CP2102 chip and I'm experiencing a problem related to setting/clearing the break on the TX line using either SetCommBreak/ClearCommBreak or EscapeCommFunction(hCom, SETBREAK)/EscapeCommFunction(hCom, CLRBREAK) function. The error I get is always: ERROR_GEN_FAILURE, 31 (0x1F), A device attached to the system is not functioning. Other signals (i.e. RTS, DTR) can be set and cleared normally. My machine is running Windows7/x64. I am using the CP210X VCP Driver version 6.7.4.261. What am I missing? Test C code, compiled in Visual Studio 2010, is in attachment. Br, Matej

Re: SetCommBreak/ClearCommBreak problem with CP2102

Why are you trying to bit bang a serial interface, instead of using the built in UART the device provides?  If you are interested in more than one UART port, consider the CP2105 or CP2108.

Regards,

Joe

Highlighted

Re: SetCommBreak/ClearCommBreak problem with CP2102

Hi, Joe The idea behind serial bit-banging is to implement a synchronous protocol, similar to SPI, called TPI (MOSI/MISO 3-stated in a single data line, clock same as SCK). Such a protocol is used by several small Atmel Tiny microcontrollers (e.g. Tiny10), which our students use for their projects. Since the students already use the CP2102 as a normal UART device, it would be best if we could re-use this module for TPI programming also. If I was to use CP2102 as a normal UART device, it would have to provide a driving signal for the 3-state driver, which would disable the master (PC) transmission signal during reception. As far as I know, CP2102 does not feature such a capability. Using bit-banging approach, this is possible (though really dead slow). However, microcontrollers which feature TPI, usually don't have more than 1k of FLASH. Regards, Matej