Accepted Solution

How many PIDs for the same interface (or for different interfaces) one can request?

Hi all,

I wonder if there is a limitation on the number of PIDs one can request. I'm thinking about designing another product using the CP2130, and I already requested one PID for one active product that uses the same interface. Of course the drivers can be the same, but the products are essentially incompatible because the commands are very different.

Is there any limitation of requests one can make?

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

Re: How many PIDs for the same interface (or for different interfaces) one can request?

Hi Samuel,

We have no strict limits on the number of PIDs that can be requested, and it is very common to request different PIDs for different devices.  We do require that our PIDs only be used with Silicon Labs devices.

Regards,

Joe

Highlighted

Re: How many PIDs for the same interface (or for different interfaces) one can request?

Thanks Joe. It is good to know!

Actually, it is very handy that I have different PIDs for different devices that have the same interface. Especially in Linux with libusb when I often open the devices by PID and VID.

I seriously though about using the already assigned PID for a different device with the same interface, but that would create confusion. This option is more correct, IMHO.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço