Accepted Solution

CP2615 i2c

Hi

i am workin  at my custom cp2615 board with SI4735 fm receiver

i have also cp2615 demo board 

on my custom board i am using external MCU to configuration and management of SI4735 receiver.

using  cp2615 eval board i programmed all parameters via xpress configuration.

unfortunely my board not working as expected.

i don't want to use i2c from CP2165 becouse all data is managed via external MCU and i want to using usart in CP2615 comunicate with windows app. (setting frequency read parameters etc)

so i2c pins from cp2615 are not connected to any parts in my board - only as a connector for programming (with reset and config pin)

my board working - audio play - to usb when i have i2c from cp2615 connected to my eval board programming pins

when i disconnect - it after reset not working unfortunetly..

in short = do i need i2c from CP2615 connected to any slave device ?

BR
Robert

Re: CP2615 i2c

after some test:

as is in this KB http://community.silabs.com/t5/Interface-Knowledge-Base/Determining-Codec-ADC-DAC-compatibility-with...

only one i2c master is supported so if there is another MCU in the system we can use i2c pin connected.

but

if they are unconnected CP2615 not working (?)

i found that if i connect SDA from CP2615 to any not used input in my MCU it can help and CP2615 start working and audio playing Robot Happy

(so CP2615 SDA must be connected somewhere,,,)

so audio problems are resolved Robot Happy

now i try to communiate wirh my MCU via uart.

i have enabled UART in CP2615 (TX/RX with 9600 bps) 

unfortunately on the PC side i can't see any data from my MCU (it sending some ascii strings)

there is any example with receiving UART data throught CP2615 ?

BR

Robert

Hi @robo,

I am glad to hear that your audio problems are solved. I think it is always a good idea to connect the SDA/SCL pins instead of leaving them floating. 

Now as far as the UART pins are concerned, could you clarify some more? When you scope the Tx/Rx pins, do you see the data being sent from the CP2615? Does the functionality work as expected on the EK? I don't think we have any examples showing UART working with CP2615 currently. 

Best,

Manasa

HI

about uart :

i transmitting from mcu to CP2615 (i see datastream on analyzer) but i can't see nothing on PC side on usb terminal or sniffer.

BR
Robert

ok - after some test - uart - RX- working Robot Happy

i will test TX soon but it's looks promissing !

thanks !

Excellent - was the demo that our firmware team provided helpful? 

(From them): "I have put together a Python demo package that shows how a host communicates with the CP2615 to perform I/O.  This package does not specifically demo the UART, but the comments in the script state how this is done.  You can access the demo package here: 

Hi

Yes - UART working very good - without any problem. ! THANKS !!!

i must only now test i2c interface in CP2615 - what can i do when i don't use this feature.

pull up only simulate slave receiver ? 

becouse as i remember it was some problems when it was unconnected. i will look at this.

BR

Robert

Hi @robo,

It sounds like the pins don't have any internal-pull ups enabled. In such case, tie these to either VDD or GND - your choice. It is not wise to tie these to GND if internal pull-ups are enabled, since that would cause some additional current consumption through the device's internal pull up resistors. Hopefully that will fix the issue. 

Best,

Manasa