Highlighted
Accepted Solution

CP210x VCP Drivers always Hidden in Windows 10 (64 bit)

[ Edited ]

I am installing the CP210x Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine with an Intel i7 processor at 3.4 GHz and 16 GBytes of RAM. The virtual COM ports install but they are hidden so the devices do not "talk" to one another. I have tried everything I know to get these VCPs unhidden to no avail.

Has anybody experienced this problem before and what did you do or use to resolve the hidden virtual COM ports?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Dave

Re: CP210x VCP Drivers always Hidden in Windows 10 (64 bit)

what do you mean by "hidden" here?
could you help describe the issue more clear, i think you could add some some screenshoot. if possible could you tell us the procedure to reproduce the issue.
WeiguoLu

The CP210x Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers are being installed on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine with an Intel i7 processor at 3.4 GHz and 16 GBytes of RAM. Via a USB 3.0 connection, the VCPs will provide communications to a Timewave PK-232SC+ Multimode Data Controller (https://timewave.com/product/timewave-pk-232sc/) that is connected to an HF Amateur Radio transceiver. The PK-232 SC+ utilizes a Silicon Labs chipset which is why I must use the specified SiLabs drivers.

When the drivers are installed, the USB cable is disconnected from the computer and the Timewave PK-232 SC+ box is turned off. Once the drivers are successfully installed per the driver installation dialog window, the USB cable is reconnected and the PK-232 SC+ is turned on. This makes the Silicon Labs CP210X Virtual COM Port Drivers appear in the Windows Device Manager under the Ports (COM and LPT) section. However, the virtual COM ports are greyed out meaning that they are hidden. They do not appear in Device Manager at first until View ---> Show Hidden Devices is checked.

The problem is, as long as the virtual COM ports are hidden, the computer and Timewave PK-232 SC+ box will never communicate with one another. The virtual COM port drivers MUST be visible in order for communications to take place.

This is where I am currently stuck. I have tried every trick I know to get these CP210X Virtual COM Port Drivers to install in a visible state within Device Manager. I cannot use any other virtual COM port drivers because the Timewave box uses the Silicon Labs chipset. On top of that, the Timewave box is not cheap; it costs $600 and cannot be returned.

Has anybody experienced this problem before and what did you do or use to resolve the hidden virtual COM ports?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Dave

I should probably mention that Randy, CEO of Timewave, and his colleagues have spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why the Silicon Labs Virtual COM Port drivers remain hidden under Windows 10 Home on a Dell XPS 8900 computer. That is why I have brought this issue to the Silicon Labs forums to seek their users and employees expertise. Thanks everyone! Dave

Delu,

Did I provide you with enough information or do you need more? I am anxious to get this interface working. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Regards, Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your detailed posts.  You're experiencing this issue on an OEM device that implements our USB-to-UART bridge products, and unfortunately we aren't privy to any design details of this end-product so we're not able to help you troubleshoot it.  The best approach in cases like this is to contact the manufacturer of the malfunctioning device - as you have already done.  Hopefully, Timewave will find a solution for you shortly.  For more general information on OEM devices like this, see this KB article:

http://community.silabs.com/t5/Interface-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-a-Product-Using-a-CP210x-USB...

I haven't personally experienced the issue you have reported, but this MSDN link (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553955(v=vs.85).aspx) mentions a few reasons why a device may appear as "hidden" in Device Manager:

"By default, certain devices are not shown in the list. These hidden devices include devices that have the device node (devnode) status bit DN_NO_SHOW_IN_DM set and devices that are part of a setup class that is marked as a NoDisplayClass in the registry (for example, printers and non-PnP drivers)"

This might provide a few more leads to track down.

At any rate, best of luck to you!

- Phillip

Hello Mr. Dave,

My sistem is Windows 10 home single version 1703, 64 bits RAM 8GB , Core i 5 7200 U CPU 2.5Ghz 2.7Ghz, lap top Dell.

I am trying to install the USB Port to use SCU 17 with Yaesu FT950, used in Windows 7 worked perfectly, now does not recognize the driver and does not accept to install.

Could you please help me?

It would be very welcome any help to make it work and I get back on the active in digital modes.

Thank you

Leonardo Zucon PY2KNK