CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Ver 6.6.1

Has anybody had the following problem.

I have been using the above driver to connect my Uniden radio to my Dell XPS laptop windows 7.
It worked perfectly until recently. It has suddenly stopped working, I can only see com ports on my device manager by clicking view 'hidden devices' on the Device manager and,. installing 'legacy hardware'. But no matter how many times I re install the driver I get an error 10 and it will not work.
Can any body shed light on my problem.
Is it possible windows updates (the only changes I have made to my laptop) may be the cause.

Ger

Re: CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Ver 6.6.1

It sounds like your device is not enumerating if it isn't showing up in Device Manager. Does the device work on another PC? Have you tried contacting Uniden about the issue?

My radio is visible on another laptop which has a serial port/socket, so. no bridge involved.
I have also downloaded the the driver onto this laptop but, I still cannot see the driver on it's device manager.
Should I see the driver even if the usb cable is not connected.

Ger

I don't understand what you mean about 'so. no bridge involved' - but if you cannot see the device enumerate on multiple computers then it sounds like a device problem. One thing you can do is look at the device tree in UVCView - this will give you a view of devices connected and doesn't have anything to do with the driver. If you cannot find your device here, or you can but it has errors, then there is an error in enumeration.

I recommend contacting Uniden to let them know what's happening, since they are the manufacturer they will have better information on support for their product.

What I meant by 'no bridge in involved' was the fact that the machine I used had a serial port and, did not need the downloaded driver. This I believe proved that the uniden side was ok

If I understand you right, you say that the Uniden has an RS-232 interface and you can connect it to an RS-232 port on your laptop. But when you insert an RS-232 to USB converter based on the CP210x it does not work. Is that right?

That is basically what is happening, except that they are two different laptops each using win 7.
The radio works perfectly with the older laptop which has an RS-232 port.
The newer laptop does not have such a port and, hence the need for the Cp210X.
This worked initially (since last august) but, recently the laptop just stopped recognizing that the radio was connected .
I have since used the radio with the older laptop no problem , so, therefore the radio side is OK.
I have also tried reinstalling the driver several times but, it does not show up in the device manager com port list.
Should I hav done more than just un installing the driver before reinstall?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Ger
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

You could download a terminal pgm, and check if it can see the CP210x ?
If it can Open, then try a loop back echo, just to confirm all is functional.

If the CP210x was ok, and is still proven ok on other machines, it certainly does sound like the OS+Driver combo has gone out to lunch.
{ You have to love Windows updates.... )

Yes, as jmg suggests, you should make sure your CP210x works in a simple case. The driver/device are developed to be a drop in replacement for an RS232 connection, so you shouldn't have a problem switching out the two.

If your device isn't showing up in the COM port list it sounds like your driver might not be installed correctly. Check add/remove program files and uninstall it, then try again. You can also check the C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log to check on the error code of a failed installation.
Highlighted

If your device isn't showing up in the COM port list it sounds like your driver might not be installed correctly. Check add/remove program files and uninstall it, then try again. You can also check the C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log to check on the error code of a failed installation. [/quote]

I un installed and reinstalled my driver several times but still no success.
Eventually I purchased a usb/RS232 adopter using a prolific PL2303HX chipset.
Everything works perfect now.