CP210X VCP Driver and Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra

I've been getting feedback from a few customers who are using my product (WeatherSnoop 3) that the VCP driver for the CP210X is not working under Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra Developer Preview. 

Is Silicon Labs testing this driver under this new and upcoming operating system, and if so, what are the results so far?

Re: CP210X VCP Driver and Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra

As far as i know the driver is not currently tested for OSX vesion 10.12.
My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Silicon Labs
WeiguoLu

Hi Boisy,

We've received a few reports of problems with 10.12, we're looking into it.  I will reply to this thread when I have more information.

Regards,

Joe

I use WeatherSnoop to upload weather data form my Davis VantageVUE weather station. After installing Mac OS 10.12 (beta Sierra) the CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver no longer works; hence, I am dead in the water and no longer able to propagate my data to WeatherUnderground and other similar sites.

This has a significant effect on my business and my Web sites. Please advise as to whether a new driver is in the works and when it might be expected?

Thanks!

Boisy, Bill,

Our tester found that the problem has gone away with the latest version of MacOS 10.12.  Can you try updating your OS and seeing if this solves the problem?

Regards,

Joe

JOE . . . 

Thank for your response. I am a beta tester but not a developer, so the latest public beta I have is 10.12 Beta (16A238m). The problem still exists in this version.

Cheers,

BILL

The 2nd public beta of Sierra was released.  

With this release, it now works normally.

Regards, 

Traj

TRAJ . . .

You are correct. Just downloaded the 2nd public beta and the driver is working properly and uploading my weather data via WeatherSnoop. Thanks for the help.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KSCYORK4#history

BILL

Just installed Public Beta 3 of Mac Sierra and the driver is again non-functional.

Any issues with the final version of Mac OS Sierra? 

Working fine with final Master Beta of Sierra, I'm happy to report. Do not have the final release version.

Highlighted

Hi,

(P.S. I have been responding via email to: community@silabs.com, but all my mails are being rejected due to 'my email not being on the allowed senders list)

After installing the 10.12.3 update and then re-installing the driver from scratch, I see the driver loading and the device becoming available when I plug in my device (a Yeasu FT-991 amateur radio)  into the USB port.
I am now able to control the radio and use the sound device.

However, I now a new intermittent issue. The software application is supposed to send the audio out your USB Sound interface to the radio. It works OK, but at random intervals, all of a sudden the audio starts going out the macbook’s built-in audio speakers - even though the software is set to feed it out via your USB Sound Interface.

This issue never occured before the MacOS update.

So this could be either an issue in your driver with something not exactly 100% compatible/ready for MacOS Sierra, or there some bug within MacOS itself that periodically pops up, or the application I am using (WSJT-X) has some bug that causes it to pipe the audio out the wrong interface.

If you can make any suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot the above so as to better pinpoint where the problem may be, please make suggestions.

I noticed last night, that I get the following warning message in ‘dmesg’: "IOUSBHostHIDDevice::interruptRetry: resetting device due to IO failures"
This appears exactly at the moment that the above problem occurs.

The WSJTX software uses the Qt audio framework to read and write audio. 
It opens a stream for reading and keeps on reading audio from the USB AUDIO in from the external radio (the software listens to the audio and demodulates the signals receive).
For sending audio (modulated data signal) to the radio to be transmitted, it opens a ‘write stream’, sends the audio (a few seconds up to 50 seconds in duration), then stops the stream. 
Later on it starts that same stream, sends more audio and when done, stops the steam. 
This cycle normally continues many times over the course of a ‘radio contact’.

The "IOUSBHostHIDDevice::interruptRetry: resetting device due to IO failures” message appears at around the 4-6th cycle, exactly when the ‘write stream’ is stopped.

This error can be reproduced by other amateur radio operators also using MacOS Sierra and needing to use your driver for a range of radios (Yeasu, Kenwood, perhaps more). So we can be certain that this is not a cable or device issue. The same USB cable and radio device works 100% with this same software when being run on a 10.11 OSX Macbook. As soon as the MacBook is upgraded to 10.12 - the above problem appears.

Can you also please confirm whether 4.10.14 is the latest driver version.

I have seen some users reporting to be running version 4.10.15 - but I am not able to track this version down anywhere.

Hope you can help.

Is there any additional diagnostic software you would like me to run. Or perhaps you have a 'debug' version that logs lots of traces which might help point you in the right direction?

Thanks.