CP2102 echo without loopback connection

Hello everyone,

I am using a CP2102 red board, with 6 pin (5v, 3V3, GND, TX, RX, RST - something like this http://cloud6.lbox.me/images/384x384/201208/cp2102-usb-2-0-para-ttl-conversor-modulo-uart-6pin-serie... ) with Coolterm over a OS X 10.9.5 Macbook.

My issue is the following: 

-when i connect the CP2102 to usb and there is no pin connected, i try to send a character over the adapter and there is no reception. (as expected)

-when i connect the CP2102 to usb and there is a jumper connected to Tx (left floating), i try to send a character over the adapter and there is no reception. (as expected)

-when i connect the CP2102 to usb and there is a jumper connected to Rx (left floating), i try to send a character over the adapter and there is no reception. (as expected)

-when i connect the CP2102 to usb and there is a jumper connected to Rx (left floating) and a jumper connected to Tx (left floating), i try to send a character over the adapter and there is reception like a loopback. (not expected)

Is my CP2102 broken? I suspect it is because with 2 jumpers connected to the tx and rx pins from one side and left open to the other side there is a loopback. 

I have also installed the last driver version.

Thanks to everyone,

Luca

Re: CP2102 echo without loopback connection

@milu

First I want to say it looks like this product is not made by Silabs, it is better to contact the manufacture of the product to know how it should to work.

Secondly I am totally confused how you connect the pins and run the test.

I guess there is a terminal application run on the Mac machine. Now you want to test if the CP2102 could work with loopback mode.

To run the loopback test, you could try connect the TXD/RXD( UART interface of the CP2102). Then try to send some character from Mac.

My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Silicon Labs

WeiguoLu
Highlighted

Re: CP2102 echo without loopback connection

Here's a KnowledgeBase Article that explains why you should contact the manufacturer of your board for more help:

http://community.silabs.com/t5/Interface-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-a-Product-Using-a-CP210x-USB...

Since we don't know anything about that board, it is hard for us to derive what could be causing your issue.