Administrator

Win an EZR32 Wireless MCU Starter Kit!

[ Edited ]

The EZR32 wireless starter kit (WSTK) is an excellent starting point to get familiar with the EZR32 wireless microcontrollers (MCUs) and provides a complete development platform for the EZR32LG and EZR32WG Wireless MCUs. The wireless starter kit platform consists of a mainboard and an interchangeable radio board featuring variants of the EZR32 family. It also contains sensors and peripherals used for demonstrating many of the EZR32 wireless MCU's wireless and low power capabilities.

Key features of the WSTK:
• EZR32 radio board

Ethernet and USB connectivity 

• Advanced Energy Monitoring
• SEGGER J-Link OB debugger
• SI7021 relative humidity and temperature sensor
• Ultra low power 128 x 128 pixel memory LC
• And more…

3 winners with the best ideas will receive an EZR32 wireless starter kit from us and will be invited to write a review blog post about the kit to help other developers get started easily. 

So, how to participate in the contest? 

Take a look at the two WSTK pages below and share your project idea with us by leaving a comment below. We would like to hear what you want to build/test with one of the EZR32 kits and why. (Only 1 entry per user) Our wireless team will be judging the entries based on relevance and creativity. 

# of winners: 3

Prize: 1 x EZR32 WSTK (winners can pick one of the two EZR32 WSTKs)

Contest Period: 23 Apr - 1 May, 2015

By entering the contest you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the Silicon Labs Contest Terms and Conditions 

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs

Re: Win an EZR32 Wireless MCU Starter Kit!

Would like to use this as the heart and brains of an alarm system for a house and also make it mobile for a R.V. while on road trips. My nephew and niece will be helping me design and build the system also. My nephew is tearing everything apart and loves my electronics bench. Get them interested and young into the design, maker, build world.

I am currently working on my diploma project in which I built a wireless weather station based on a EFM32 Tiny Gecko and a XBee module. To reach a smaller form factor and a lower power consumption, I want to migrate my system to an EZR32LG (868MHz).

The weather station measures temperature and rel. humidity using an SHT25/Si7013, the UV-Index (Si1145), rain and wind speed with reed relays and the current accumulator voltage (ADC). All data is sent to a base station (data collector), which sends the data to a web server (wetter.htl-hl.ac.at). So one EZR32 would measure the data outdoors and sends it to the second EZR32 which is located in the house (data collector). Then it passes all the data through to the existing base station and/or displays the current data on the memory display. The data collector could also measure the temperature/rel. humidity with the onboard sensor (Si7013). The weather station is also equipped with a GPS module which is used to send the current position to the server. To save power the module is shut off with a MOS-FET while it is not needed. The web server then updates the location of the station in a Google maps chart autonomously.

The hole weather station is powered by energy harvesting using a solar panel and a Li-Ion accumulator. Furthermore it is also possible to add a second energy source.

Regards

Michael

I would be looking to use this as a stepping stone into creating a transmitter/receiver pair for RC submarines. The integrated RFIC with the uC would be fantastic for space savings for the device that is contained within the submarine itself. The USB functionality would be used for configuring the device as it would also be paired with a 6DoF sensor. On the handheld portion, the display would be used to show telemetry information as well as for configuring the device itself. Ideally, the RF section would operate down to 35MHz, but I will be getting my tech license to allow for operation in the 220MHz band. This will still allow for penetration of the water, but come with advanced radio functionality. Adam

I woukd like to design a network of sensors and actuators in home automation.
Here below the list of some sensors :
-lightning measurement
-relative humidity and temperature measurement
-soil humidity for watering plants, garden
-switch on/off
-energy measurement on an outlet
-new mail detector for the mailbox
The center point of the network is a coordinator. The device will be accessible from internet and an user friendly conditional statement like ifttt will be used for making some scenarios.
All the nodes must be a most part of time in low power mode except the coordinator and the energy measurement device. A small rf protocol of communication will be designed for exchanging data's inside the network.

A smart home enabler: some really low power network devices which are sending information to and supervises a small linux box that can be connected to internet.

I would like to build wireless bike computer with battery free sensor module.
It will be based on two parts:

- Sensor node placed on the fork which will measure speed with magnet on the wheel and coil on fork - it could be done with LETIMER and RTC, so 99% of time it will spend deep sleeping.
Every 30 seconds it will wake up and compute average speed at this period, distance and measure altitude with MPL3115A2(0.3m resolution) and compute elevation change. After accumulating some amount of data sensor node will send information to master node.
The main idea here is to try to build completely battery free sensor node. It will harvest energy from magnet on the wheel and coil on the fork, store it in capacitor, or supercap and sleep most of the time.

- Another part of the system will be master node which will show current stats and store all logged data for some weeks, so you can send it to PC.
Not sure how it will looks like. Maybe it will be just smart watch, which I almost finished on EFM32, so radio should added, or MCU should be replaced with EZR.

Hello,
I'm planning to create wearable vital sign monitor for peoples with heart diseases.
The monitor will transmit the biomedical data (raw ECG signal, temperature, blood oximetry, pulse, heart rate, respiration rate) via radio network to monitoring station. LCD display would be used to show values in real time.
The device should contain: EZR32 radio board, 5-Electrode ECG AFE (Analog Front End) with respiration measurement and pace detection, Temperature sensor, BLE Module, Battery.

I paln to use multiple units of the EZR32 for light (visible and infrared), temperature, and humidity monitoring of artifacts in a museum's storage facility. The low power dissipation will allow for long battery life, and the capacitive sensing capability allows for use a low-cost humidity sensor.

I would like to determine whether it is practical to build a mesh network with the EZR32, to reduce the number of base stations required to cover a large facility.

Also, the Ethernet capability of the kit makes it well-suited for the base stations that interface the wireless sensor nodes to the internet.

I plan to use the EZR32 Wireless MCU Starter Kit to expand the existing test systems functional capacity to be able to wirelessly send data to real-time monitoring screen. Sending the test results and the measured value of the tested product to the monitoring screen. I also want to use the EZR32 Wireless MCU starter kit to send an alarm message to my desktop when a test system crashes or when a product test is failed. Also the temperature and humidity measurements of the tested product monitored during test.  Using the network capability of the EZR32 Wireless MCU starter kit to remotely access and view the tested product data and be able to remotely troubleshoot problems.

kind regards,

Lahcen

Nari,

In one of your earlier contests, I had asked if there was any plans for a wireless solution and here’s your answer.  Thank you for the continuing great product lines. 

My project would be a self powering (energy harvesting) bike monitor.  The main unit would consist of a display and input (i.e. menu driven keypad or touch panel) for setup, logging and health status.  It would also be used for wireless data uploads to a PC or tablet for tracking and analysis.  In the future, it could also be used to download and display daily cycling plans/schedules.  The main unit could also take the form of a wearable device (i.e. wrist band or watch).  A great fit for the Wonder Gecko EZR32WG WSTK!

Wireless sensor modules would interface with the main unit to track speed, pedal motion, heart rate, etc.  Additional modules, such as GPS, could be added as designed.  The proximity of the sensors to the main unit allows for a low power RF solution.  The energy harvesting from the sensors, coupled with Gecko’s low power modes, allows for self powering operation.  The Leopard Gecko EZ32LG WSTK would be an excellent fit for the sensors.  Where lies the problem, if you choose my submital, which one to request?  Leopard or Wonder.  I guess I’ll worry about it when the time comes.

Thank you again for the opportunity.

Gordon

I’d like to evaluate usage of EZR32 MCU in IoT space. Ethernet and sub Ghz radio features allow to realize gateway scenario between IP based network and sensor network. I’d like to use Eclipse Paho (implementation of MQTT and MQTT-SN - embedded variant) in order to realize this. I have experience with those technologies on more powerful embedded systems that use embedded linux (Beaglebone Black and RPi). It will be nice to see it working also on low power MCUs and check interoperability between different realizations.

As a proof of concept project I’d like to create distributed humidity monitoring system. Two EZR32 nodes will be monitoring humidity (current value, min/max). They will be connected with each other using sub Ghz radio. One of them will be connected with smart gateway node (e.g. RPi with Eclipse IoT Java stack - Eclipse Kura) using ethernet. Communication will be realized using MQTT standard.

Additionally, I’d like to explore low power modes of EZR32 family with MQTT protocol which is designed for low power solutions.

My Sensor Puck review is almost done and will be published in next days.

Best Regards,

Tobiasz Dworak

Highlighted

Thanks to all the contributors for some great application ideas! Here are the three winners -

Self-powering bike monitor by gordonmx

Vital signs monitor by zsok

Home automation sensor network by Andri

Nari will contact each winner directly to arrange the kit shipment.

We also have a runner-up that deserves an honorable mention -

Weather station by Michael

Thank you again for your ideas, and stay tuned for the next contest!

Regards,

Kavita