Administrator

Win an EFM8 8-bit MCU starter kit!

[ Edited ]

We've launched the new EFM8 Bee family last month and would like to invite some community users to test out its development kit! The EFM8 Bee family is based on popular 8051 core and is ideal for IoT systems with unparalleled performance.

For this contest, we are looking for project ideas that take advantage of EFM8 features. Visit the product page to learn more about the EFM8 and also note that the the family includes three MCU lines optimized for specific developer needs and applications:

5 winners with the best ideas will receive an EFM8 kit from us and will be invited to write a review blog post about the kit to help other developers get started easily.

So, how to participate the contest?

Just leave a comment below on what you want to build/test with one of the EFM8 STKs above and why. (Only 1 entry per user) Our MCU team will be judging the entries based on relevance and creativity.  

# of winners: 5 

Prize: 1 x EFM8 STK (winners can pick one of the three EFM8 STKs) 

Contest Period: 25 Mar - 8 Apr, 2015

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs

Re: Win an EFM8 8-bit MCU starter kit!

With the EFM8-Sleepy-Bee, I will build a network of tiny sensors/actuators, with energy scavenging by solar light and thermal differential.

The solar-light scavengers will measure temperature, humidity and light on my Veggy garden.

The thermal-diff scavengers will monitor my central heating and solid-fuel burners.

Data will be archived and if any EZRadio available on-board, will be sent to IoT concentrator based around a EFM32.

I have already a light-scanvenger Toilet Flush counter (Robot Very Happy) working on a C8051F990 so will be a great transition !

I would use the Busy Bee to build a small portable "snakes" games for my 6 year old son. He should learn that we don't need to buy everyhing and that its more fun to build stuff by yourself.

--
To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

I work with IoT Applications and have made a living working with 8051s in Indistrial Control in the Past. Its nice to see 8051 in a low power die. I have also started work in the Gecko Zero and have become comfortable with Simplicity Studio hence working with these kits will be pleasant.

I am working with material fabrication and for this we use an electric furnace to heat up materials upto 1300 degree celcius. Unfortunately, the Ovens we have in the lab are *not* IoT enabled.

My proposal is simple and involves using the EFM8 Sleepy to talk to an K- Type ThermoCouple via an Amplifier circuit and log the temperature data to a local SDCARD. Additionally, it will be connected to the internet via an ESP8266 which will give it WiFi powers and will allow it to send real time temperature data to the cloud. An OpenHAB system will be responsible for receiving the data and generating alerts and notification of any abnormalities. These may include power failures etc and will allow us to rectify the situation. 

The data should also be plotted graphically on the attached LCD and will allow local data visualization making the oven a smart oven. The samples are sintered for upto 3 days hence this functionality will help diagnose problems.

A custom enclosure will be 3D Printed for the system and will aid in safe usage.

I would like to use the EFM8 ™ Sleepy Bee 8-bit MCU Device Starter Kits in a test bench to measure the current and voltage that absorbs by the tested device. I also want to use the EFM8 Sleepy Bee ™ starter kit to measure temperature and humidity of the device(s) under a duration test of 16 hours ON.
The collected test data are stored at the server to generate a test report at the end of the test. I also want to remotely log on the test bench to get the current, voltage, temperature and humidity reading of the tested device(s).

My intention is to use on of these boards (preferrably EFM8 Sleepy Bee) in medical app, to create heart rate monitor. The microcontroller sends count to the on-board LCD display which give then count of heart rate. IR sensors are connected as the input sensors which read the blood flow through the
fingers. The microcontroller counts the number of input signals and thus generates an output on a display.An IR pair is used to measure this pulse through the veins of a finger, actually to sense heart rate. The whole system consists of amplification circuits and IR pair. I am using LM 324 to amplify the signal and IR pair (an IR transmitter and receiver pair).
By using EFM8 Sleepy Bee I get a user friendly,cost effective, power effective, efficient and easy to
build system. This device is wereable and it can be connected to send data via Wi-Fi to be in todays demanding IoT.

With EFM8 Sleepy Bee MCU Starter Kit i would like to create a plant watering reminder and i will give it to Mr. Tom David (principal design engineer) because as i can see his plant needs more water Robot wink (check the background from 0:29 in the video).

Seriously i have a lot of low power project in my mind, so it would be nice to have one of the Sleepy Bee kit. With Simplicity studio it could be an efficient and convenient tool.

Being an electronics hobbyist (and a retired Applications Engineer) as well as a ham, naturally my interests’ verge towards HF/analog projects.

I have been working with some 89C51ED2 processors and an AD8951 Direct Digital Synthesizer chip. I want to build a sort of spectrum analyzer with a display to enable me study the characteristics of HF antennas and optimize them in real time by manually adjusting the elements and seeing the response on a small LCD, all in real time.

This has to be a battery operated and light weight device. Two rotary encoders and two push buttons on the panel for all control inputs. The signal received  ( S11, or S12 with a secondary pickup loop will be detected in an AD8307 chip as well as the output of a phase sensitive detector on a second AD8307 chip and the result ( amplitude and phase) will be plotted on a small LCD.

I have written the sweep software, the LCD drivers, AD9851 drivers, and readout software for the  detectors, the control panel interface and a file storage software based upon the routines I found at Ricky's web pages. The 89C51ED2 is not up to the job, speed and powerconsumption wise. I was looking for a faster and lower power processor and found the SI labs controllers fits the bill perfectly. Power consumption is critical as I need to make this hand held and adjustment often takes hours.

I also intend to extend this project later, to use the ADF4351 UHF PLL chip to raise the upper frequency limit to 4 GHZ where much of my current interest lies.

The AD8307 will have to be replaced by an AD8313 (or an ADL5513 if I can get one) which is luckily a gain and phase detector which simplifies the layout somewhat.

Whether my proposal wins anything or not, I am going ahead with the project and will buy a Sleepy Bee or a Busy Bee (when I have the cash to spare) to complete it, after I decide which is the best for my application. Hopefully I can record my progress on this forum in a new thread.

[ Edited ]

Further to my post above,where I clicked the send button by mistake;_

To complete my proposal;_

The fact that the LCD on the kit has a touch screen interests me as it might be possible to eliminate the operators interface and entirely use the touch screen to command the  device. At the least, the commands can be segregated into two groups, Scan command and Storage commands. The scan commands on the rotary encoders and the save/recall of scan images on the screen. This should make the controls more intuitive and faster. The first relating to the setting up of a scan and the latter related to handling of the result

Also want to be able to indicate on the screen reliably the amount of operation time remaining so the AEM capability of the chips should be a great help.

And here is a block diagram in case what I wrote above is not clear.  I will post some pics as soon as I can retrieve my camera.

[ Edited ]

II have appended some  test progs I wrote to genarate a sweept of fixed frequency from the AD9851 and ADF4351. the first  can generate about 14 sweeps per second. These are entirely in ASM and took me all of 4 evening to write.  Now I am rewriting this in C. The first is a complete working system the second is the (ADF4351) only calculates the sweep but does not load it to the registers yet as there are a bunch of parameters which I have not decided about yet. A sweep output is generated ( by AD9851) so it can be easily sync'd to any scope. I have used an external AD8307 detector with this one.

IF someone would like to  build this please let me know and I will provide more details. This is the list file. I can post the source code if you would like to have it. My writing style is rather laconic but very effective nevertheless.

I am working my way through the Simp. Studio and will rewrite all in C  plus some assy routines this weekend. I have a PRC made board with a C120 in the mail so will know how fast I can go soon.

[ Edited ]

Hi Nari,

I'd still like to create my office health monitoring application. For this I would like to combine the EFM8 Sleepy Bee STK (Preferably the SLSTK2010A to give me the additional challenge of implementing with as little Flash and RAM as possible, and having the cool tri-color LED) with the following:

- read the humidity and temperature from the Si7021 sensor.

- with a Bluetooth Low Energy break-out board (I already have) to provide alerts and read-out historical data

- the LCD to display to show the temperature and humidity in the past

- Color LED blinking the current state, red to green.

Regards,

Vincent

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Star</font></font> </a> rzr

Hi,

My "semi-profesionnal" project  is to provide a FLOSS IoT concentrator for R&D and/or DIY hobbyists ...

I mainly focus on devices interconnectivity and extensibility of the platform...

In a SmartHome context, actual sensors would help users to create they own usage and wire dynamically the logical processing thought a user friendly interface (lcd/touch should be enough)

Some videos demos about the work in progress experiments :

http://www.slideshare.net/rzrfreefr/iotivity-atmel20150328rzr

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tizen/comments/2xtwuk/iot_wearables_robot_and_magic_with_tizen_gear2/#

Thanks

PS: is there anyone from Rennes reading this thread ? I'd like to talk with some SL representatives someday

I'd use the Sleepy Bee starter kit for an evaluation of Si7021 humidity and temperature sensor. These sensors seem to be an economical alternative to the Sensirion SHT line. Basically, I'd like to make a probe from the kit that can be modularized.

My idea is to make experiments with human emotions. As we know the lie detector (polygraph) monitors physiological parameters such as a person's pulse and breathing rates. I would use EFM8 Sleepy Bee MCU Starter Kit with tempeature and humidity sensors integrated to be mounted on hand to be weared and to detect temperature and skin humidity rapid changes what could be analyzed as the caused by emotions. Finally the result of analysis would be displayed on the display as an indicator of emotions what could be funny to see during the conversationsRobot wink

Hello,
I'm planning to create wearable vital sign monitor for peoples with heart diseases.
The monitor will transmit the biomedical data (raw ECG signal, temperature, blood oximetry, pulse, heart rate, respiration rate) via wireless or cellular network to monitoring station. LCD display would be used to show values in real time.The user can also view the data on portable device (smartphone or tablet).
The device should contain: EFM8 Sleepy Bee MCU (Starter Kit SLSTK2011A),
5-Electrode ECG AFE (Analog Front End) with respiration measurement and pace detection,
Temperature sensor, GSM/GPRS Module, Bluetooth 4.0 and WiFi Module, Battery.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would like to build a Digital Acquisition System (known as DAQ) based on EFM8 Universal Bee 8-bit MCU Device Starter Kit for USB SLSTK2000A.
The DAQ can be connected to a PC and controlled over USB.
Analog signals may be connected to analog processing board with external analog to digital converters (ADC), digital to analog converters (DAC), programmable gain amplifiers (PGA) and GPIO isolators.
The system can be used as:
- Multimeter (voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter),
- Simple oscilloscope,
- Logic analyzer,
- Protocol analyzer for SPI, I2C,
- Function and arbitrary waveform generator.

Regards,

Good Afternoon Nari,

I’m excited about SiLabs’ new 8051 core based EFM8 MCU family for IoT apps.  For a low power (energy harvesting) remote environmental sensor, the Sleepy Bee, EFM8SB1-SLSTK2010A, starter kit should work out fine (although I could add a few additional sensors).  The joystick and capacitive touch, coupled with the 128x128 pixel display, can be used for setup of the sensor.  A low power wireless option (i.e. BLE, etc.) would be nice.  Is there one in the near future?  

As for the Universal Bee, EFM8UB2-SLSTK2001A, a USB routing hub, buffer and/or data mirror would make an interesting project.

Thank you for the opportunity.

I admit "Robert the Plant", has seen better days. After a lifetime of sex, drugs and rock and roll and failed detox center visits he wound up on my window sill waiting for his "stairway to heaven" :-) 

"And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven."

- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Welcome to the forum Tom D.

In my opinion he will ultimately go to up heaven, walking up the stairways, or just by floating up (Like the bubble floats up in the bottle of soda). That is, if the soul is light enough. Otherwise, he might just float around outside the second floor window till eternity.

Hi

I am developing project for Monitoring HeartBeat & SpO2. I am using SC1143 for sensing.

If time permit then i would also like to add 2-channel ECG to it.

http://moderndevice.com/product/pulse-heartbeat-sensor/

I started with ARDUINO. Just today i came across your Design contest.

So i thinking to shift to SleepyBee as my end product will be Wearable device.

And sorry for link above as i don't know whether its allowed here or not. I just wanted to show the concept.

Thank you. 

Today being the the 15th day and a week past the cutoff date,many, like me, who posted an idea here in the hope of getting their paws on a bit of techno-pulchritude must be wondering when the box will be opened to take a look at the cat.  This cat, (which really is their hope) like the famous Schrodinger's cat is both dead as well as alive until the box is opened.

So would it be too much to ask the powers that be to please spare us any more torment and " let the cat out of the bag, or open the box," all of which amounts to the same.?

Hi all,

There are lots of great ideas here, and it was very difficult for us to choose the winners!

Here are the winners we selected:

1. Sergio_Sena – Network of sensors
  2. currenthunter – Plant watering reminder
  3. rzr – FLOSS IoT concentrator.
  4. ipv1 – ThermoCouple data logger
  5. hlipka – Snakes game

Nari will contact each of you directly for shipping information.

~Tabi

Tabitha Parker
Senior Manager of MCU and Micrium Applications
Silicon Laboratories
Highlighted

Thank you! Robot Happy

Sérgio