Administrator

Low Power Contest

[ Edited ]

low-power-contest-final.png

The winners of the Low Power Contest are announced here.

It’s time to show off your low-power programming skills using Silicon Labs' 32-bit EFM32 devices! We have created a competition for you to demonstrate and get rewarded for sharing your tricks for minimizing power! The focus will be on innovative or creative use of low power features rather than the end product. Anything from a small snippet of LESENSE (Low Energy Sensor Interface) code to a fully-fledged IoT-system is a good candidate.

We have two contests that you can participate in either of them or both: 1) an idea contest for you to share your low power concept and 2) a design contest to submit actual design of what you've built. See details on both contests below.

1) Low Power Idea Contest 

Do you have a cool low power design idea that you can build with an EFM32 starter kit? It's time to share your idea with community members to win an EFM32 STK to make your concept come to life.

How to participate: 

Submit your design idea on the community by September 26th, 2015 at 11:59pm (GMT). Our internal jury will select up to 30 submissions, and the winners will receive a free EFM32 STK ($67 USD) to use in the Low Power Design Contest. You can decide which kit you want to receive for your project. Compare different EFM32 STK options here. The winners will receive the kits within 1-2 weeks after providing their shipping addresses to DL.Contests@silabs.com unless delays are caused by customs checks. 

You can submit up to two project ideas by leaving a comment on the "Low Power Idea Contest: Submit your ideas here!" page. Give a description of your idea in the comment that describes why the EFM32 is a good fit for your design. You can add as many details as possible to help us understand why it's a cool idea and whether it would actually work.

Judging & Winner Announcement:

The submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria: 

• Demonstrating low power features of the EFM32 (50%) 
  • Usefulness (25%) 
  • Originality (25%)

We will announce the result on October 2nd, 2015 on the "Low Power Idea Contest: Submit your ideas here!" page and ship an EFM32 STK to up to 30 winners. 

Note: The Low Power Design Contest will be open to both contestants who participated in the Low Power Idea Contest and those who did not participate in the Low Power Idea Contest. If you participated in the Low Power Idea Contest, you can decide whether to build a project based on your idea from the Low Power Idea Contest or build a brand new project for the Low Power Design Contest. Submissions for the Low Power Design Contest should not closely resemble submissions created by other contestants for the Low Power Idea Contest.  

2) Low Power Design Contest 

Already have an EFM32 kit that you can use for your low power design? Then, just start working on your low power design without participating in the Low Power Idea Contest. The first winner will receive $3,000 USD and an Energy Harvesting Solution To Go (199 €) sponsored by Würth Elektronik.

How to participate:

You should submit your final (you cannot edit if after you publish it) project to the "Projects" page by November 30th, 2015 at 11:59 pm (GMT). We will only accept one entry per person (or a team) for the Low Power Design Contest. 

The topic must include the following criteria: 

• A title that follows the following format: ‘Low Power Contest 2015: your design title’
  • A description of your design
  • One or more quality pictures of your design  
  • Any source code or schematics/drawings used

For judges better to understand your project and increase the chances of winning, the following deliverables are highly appreciated:

• A link to a short video (less than 5 minutes, Youtube preferred) that demonstrates the design. The video title must include ‘Low Power Contest 2015’
  • A screen shot of the energy profiler with energy score in Simplicity Studio

If you have an issue with adding an attachment, send an email to DL.Contests@silabs.com for help. 

Judging & Winner Announcement:

December 1st-10th, 2015: Silicon Labs Community members can start voting for the top 10 best designs by using kudos.

December 11th-18th 2015: The internal jury will pick the final winners for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd places among the top 10 best designs chosen by the community based on the following evaluation criteria:

• Demonstrating low power features of the EFM32 (40%) 
  • Usefulness (15%) 
  • Originality (25%)
  • Quality of Presentation (video, photo, source code, schematics/drawings) (20%)  

In addition to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd prizes, participants that did not receive any of those prizes, will be eligible for winning one of the following awards:

• Community Choice Award: given to the submission with the highest amount of kudos. The winner will receive a Basis Peak fitness tracker ($199.99) and an Energy Harvesting Solution To Go kit (199 €).
  • Code Award: given to the submission with the most innovative code and use of Energy Profiler tool in Simplicity Studio. The winner will receive a Basis Peak fitness tracker ($328.75) and an Energy Harvesting Solution To Go kit (199 €).

The final winners will be announced on December 18th, 2015 on this contest page. 

Award

Prize

1st Place

2nd Place

3rd Place

Community Choice Award

Code Award

Note that all prizes will be paid/sent to the individual / team member who published the submission. 

By entering the contest you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the Community Contest Terms and Conditions. Please review the Contest Rules below before entering the contest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contest Rules 

Eligibility

To be eligible to participate, you must meet all of the following requirements:

(1) You (and every member of your team, if you enter as a team) are over 18 years of age on the date that your entry is submitted.

(2) Low Power Idea Contest: You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.

(3) Low Power Design Contest: You (and every member of your team, if you enter as a team) are a resident of one of the following countries (and are not residents of any countries not listed below): Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding resident of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Japan, Norway, Singapore, Turkey, United Kingdom (excluding residents of Northern Ireland), or the United States. 

Requirements

(1) All submissions must incorporate the use of Silicon Lab's EFM32 microcontroller devices. 

(2) Contest submissions must be received on or before each of the deadlines set out in these rules. Entries received after any deadline, for whatever reason, will be disqualified. No exceptions will be made. 

(3) The contest is held in English and all relevant information is in English. All submissions must be written and submitted in English. 

(4) All prizes will be paid/sent to the individual / team member who published the submission. The person needs to provide the paperwork to receive the cash prize and the Form 1099 (if applicable). The payout will occur no later than 60 days after the prize winners have submitted their documentation.

(5) To be considered for the Low Power Contests, your entry must contain all of the following elements. 

• Low Power Idea Contest

To enter the Low Power Idea Contest, follow these steps:

1. Log into the community to enter your project idea in the Low Power Idea Contest Page
  2. Click on the Reply button
  3. Describe your project idea based on the EFM32 MCU in text form (no additional materials like photos or videos are required)
  4. Specify which EFM32 STK you need to complete your project in the description so that we can ship the kit in case you win the contest. Compare different EFM32 STK options here.
  5. You can submit up to two project ideas. We will not accept more than two entries per person (or a team)
  6. Click on the Post button to publish your submission. Note that you cannot edit the published submission.
  • Low Power Design Contest

To enter the Low Power Design Contest, follow these steps:

1. Log into the community to enter your project design in the Projects boards
  2. Click on the Post Project button
  3. Your post title should begin with ‘Low Power Contest 2015:’ (your design title)
  4. Describe your project idea based on the EFM32 MCU in text form
  5. Add one or more photos of your design (Image file types allowed: gif, jpg, jpeg, png)
  6. Attach any source code or schematics/drawings used
  7. If you have a short video (less than 5 minutes, Youtube preferred) demonstrating your design, insert a video link to your entry. The video title must include ‘Low Power Contest 2015’
  8. Choose the "Design Contest" label and click on the Post button to publish your submission. Note that you cannot edit the published submission.
  9. If you have an energy score from energy profiler in Simplicity Studio, attach a screen shot of the energy score page.
  10. Once you are finished with your submission content, choose the ‘Low Power Contest’ label
  11. Click on the Post button to publish your submission. Note that you cannot edit the published submission
  12. We will only accept one entry per person (or a team) for the Low Power Design Contest.

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs

Re: Low Power Contest

Hello,

i forget add 

Low Power Contest 2015:

in title but can't edit, no private message (as describe in Help)

so i replay ehere.

Can you add this text to title of my project ?

GSM/GPS Micro Tracker for Wild Animals

Thanks in advance

Mitek

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi, @x89300 

No worries, I just edited the title for you. Good luck! 

Thanks !

Can projects previously submitted to the forums be submitted for the contest or does it have to be something new just for the contest?

Administrator

Hi, @nickpalladino

You have to submit a new project to be eligible for the low power design contest. Please refer to the Community Contest Terms and Conditions

WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?

To be eligible for judging an entry must consist of the following components and meet the following content / technical requirements:

Your entry meets all of the technical requirements stated in the Contest Description, is submitted within the Contest Period, is complete in every respect; and

• Your entry is your own original work; and
  • Your entry has not been selected as a winner or been published in any other contest; and
  • You have obtained all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry, including those that may be required from your employer and any third party from whom you have licensed software or any other intellectual property;and
  • Your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials. You may include Silicon Labs trademarks, logos, and designs, for which Silicon Labs grants you a limited license to use for the sole purposes of submitting an entry into this Contest.

Technically, it has not been published in any contest, just the forums but I understand that you want new projects. Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a specific reason why entries are limited to 20000 characters? I just got told that my entry is too long (even though I have it as a text file on my computer, and there its just 17.3kb). I made it work by removing two links to files that I was not allowed to add as attachments, and then it worked. Maybe the blog system looks at the generated HTML and not at what I typed?

--
To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.
Administrator

Hi, @hlipka 

The maximum number of characters in any forum/blog post is set to 20,000 by default. I believe no has reached that number of characters before you. I'm sorry for the confusion but glad to hear that the attachments worked out in the end. 

The attachements itself did not work (PDFs are not allowed). So I somehow circumvented this and added links to the files in a comment to my own project entry...
--
To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.
Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]

@hlipka Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it. PDF files should work like this page.

If there is any other attachment that you're supposed to add to your submission, please send it to me before the contest deadline.