Administrator

Create your project with Silicon Labs’ latest kit!

[ Edited ]

giveaway-kits-december.png

It’s already December and the time of the year to look back on the year. The Silicon Labs team has introduced several new development kits this year to help engineers quickly build their smart & cool applications. These are some of the latest sensor and MCU kits:

UVIrSlider2EK Ultraviolet and Touchless Slider Evaluation Kit

C8051F970 MCU Development Kit

Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo

Biometric Sensor Expansion Card for EFM32™ Wonder Gecko Starter Kit

USB to SPI Bridge Evaluation Kit

Si7013 USB Dongle Evaluation Kit

Do you have any of them on your wish list?

If so, simply make a comment below for your chance to win a kit that you want. All you need to do is to explain what project you want to work on with the kit. We are open to any kinds of entries but it would be great if it’s related to something you can build in the next few months. 

Number of winners: 4 (Only one entry per participant)

Prize: any of the kits listed above

Contest Period: 2 Dec.2014 – 10 Dec-2014

Good luck!  

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs

Re: Create your project with Silicon Labs’ latest kit!

I'd be interested in trying out the the Biometric Sensor Expansion Card for EFM32™ Wonder Gecko Starter Kit

Plans: similar evaluation as I did for the Zero Gecko + Sensor board, and validating the sensor's application in sporter's safety monitoring.

Si7013 USB Dongle Evaluation Kit: Every once in awhile this kit appears in a drawing on SiLabs website. I’ve tried many times to win one, so maybe this will be my lucky try. I work in an environmental test lab and would like to build a DIY humidity/temperature monitor. Thank you for the opportunity and have yourself a very Merry Christmas.

I like to use the Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo to monitor and control my work environment. It should measure how much light and UV I received, and using motors open / close windows and blinds if required. The display will show how 'healthy' the environment is, taking into account all sensor data.

Vincent

I would like to use the Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station to create weather station with internet access.

[ Edited ]

I'd like to build an mechanical automation system with PID on MCU Development Kit. In this system I will measure the rotor speed by special optical method and I will use this to control the motor. The operator of system specify the value of rotor speed by potentiometer or by capacitive sense. This MCU will cooperate with DC - DC buck converter.  MCU will be isolated from negative magnetic influence from the motor. This is some sketch of the idea because I will build more complex control system with a lot of sensors.

[ Edited ]

I would like to get Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo. I'm planning to create system that will control temperature and humidity in my house.Access to system will be through internet. In case of problem with high level humidity or low/high temperature - system will turn on/off external devices that let keep optimal conditions.

[ Edited ]

Si7013 USB Dongle Evaluation Kit:

I would like to build a system for monitoring of humidity and temperature in Terrarium. The data coming from sensor will be logged in PC and used to view the parameters remotely. Also, the data can be used to control the equipment to stabilize environment in Terrarium.

I would like to use Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo in home brewery control system.

[ Edited ]

I would like to get the Si7013 USB Dongle Evaluation Kit. Currently I'm doing a Zero gecko STK road test for Element14, and I'm porting my KompMon project over to the ZG during this project. I would like to replace the SHT21 sensors I'm currently with the Si7013/Si702x sensors. That way I would have three sensors, and they are much more accurate. Also, due to their really low standby current, I can have them powered on all the time and don't need to use a power switch anymore (my solution is solar-powered, so current consumption is critical).

--
To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

[ Edited ]

I'd love to win the Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo to learn more about remote weather monitoring stations.

[ Edited ]

I am interested in C8051F970 MCU Development Kit. I would like to build PROPELLER CLOCK.

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I'd like to use the Biometric Sensor Expansion Card for EFM32™ Wonder Gecko Starter Kit to build heart monitoring system for older peoples with cardiac problems (especially for my parents). Using contact sensor from Biometric Card allow to check heart status very qucikly and simply, without need of wearing armband or sticking electrodes.

[ Edited ]

Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo - for monitoring and controlling the environment for the production of plants By measuring light , humidity , temperature, the system will chose the proper parameters of temperature , hydration

Hello,

My idea is based on Human-Machine-Interface driven Art using the Touch Less slider solution and the USB to SPI bridge.

The user would use the UVIrSlider2EK kit as the input device to send the hand gestures into the PC side software. The CP2130EK USB to SPI bridge to connect to a series of APA102 LED strips as output. The APA102 is a single LED addressable chip that works on 3-wire SPI communication protocol.

The hand gestures sensed by the Touch less slider would be convoluted in software on the PC to create visual effects on the APA102 LED strips. Assembling the APA102 LEDs into a big display of rows of LED strips creates the output panel. Based on the computation of the hand gestures and a timer each of the rows of these LED strips would assume variable color patterns.

This creates an interesting Art installation that can be controlled by the visitors or a Play area installation for kids to enjoy during the holidays.

Kits required:

UVIrSlider2EK - For the Hand gesture input

CP2130EK - To control the APA104 SPI LED strips

Warm Regards,
boseji

[ Edited ]

Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo

I'm a university nanoelectronics student and would love to get a Zero Gecko starter kit. I'd use it to learn about the EFM32 and how to program it. I'm intrigued to see what I can make on such a small (low power) device. I'm applying for a summer intern position at Silicon Labs Oslo, so it would be great to get familiar with the hardware beforehand.

I would like to get Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo, as I am currently a student of photonics and I have just started to build a selfrotating solar system for energy harvesting improvement. Weather station with its light and UV sensors would be great for rotation control and efficiency calculating. I would be very pleased for help!

[ Edited ]

I would like to win C8051F970 MCU Development Kit.

I am working on a comparison of different low power MCU's and it will be a great opportunity to make some measures with this device.

I'm embedded engineer and author of several embedded system and software books. I'm interest these all board/kits to be evaluated and tested for several projects and testing scenario. I hope I can leverage knowledge of these board & kits by writing in blog and books. Thanks. 

AK

http://blog.aguskurniawan.net/

[ Edited ]

I would like to experiment with the C8051F970 MCU Development Kit !

The goal is to design a waterproof shower controller exploring the Low-Power capabilities of the C8051F9xx series.

thank you! Robot Happy

Welcome,

In answer for competition I would like to receive "Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo".

I am IT student (programmer) from Poland where Yours products is very rare and hard to reach here.

I would like to learn ​EFM32™ Zero Gecko 32-bit Microcontroller programming and become more familiar with EFM32 series.

I am interested in few projects like MPPT charge controller, balanced li-ion charging and also home automation.

I am really curious about EFM32 abilities.

I think this competition is good chance to get experience with Silicon Labs products.

Weather Station Demo would be great for doing some measurements in my MPPT charge controller project.

Regards,

Dominik

I am student of electronics. Currently we are considering new projects for next year. The win in this competition might give good direction to our plans. I would like to introduce my best idea:

The Ultraviolet and Touchless Slider Evaluation Kit could be used in psychological research of my friend. He examines the impact of sound and light to concentration of our attention. The main research tool is reflex tester. I plan to build reflex tester based on touchless slider. It measure speed and correctness level of person being tested, who has a task to quickly “touch” the indicated place. The task seems to be simple but experiments shows that it is not. Moreover special organize experiment could be use as diagnosis of person's manual skills (such tests are made for professional drivers). It is also interesting how varied sounds (music also) and light influence to our attention.

This device could be extended. To make extended reflex test it could ask person to make some simple and quick gesture. Now it still measure correctness, but also check more manual abilities.
To sum up, this device may helps with discover our attention secrets and shows which conditions are maximize our productivity.

Thank you for your attention!

I am writing in response to your contest. I am very interested in it because I would like to improve my engineering thesis using your kit. I have done signal logic analyzer which allows to view internal or external signals. It is an VHDL Ip Core which have interface to Wishbone bus. I want to use USB to SPI Bridge Evaluation Kit for connect my analyzer to PC (with running  graphical application). It will accelerate the transmission and allows me to increase the sampling frequency. It will also allow to connect more than one analyzer to one application.
Thank you for examining my request.

My idea is to use  BIOMETRIC-EXP-EVB Sensor expansion card (with Zero Gecko Starter Kit, preferrable) in order to create wereable device (small monitoring system) for elderly people which will listen to  body’s vital signs (temperature, galvanic skin response, pulse, (heart rate) and blood oxygen level. Users can set personal alerts if readings are too high or too low and avoid dangerous levels.

[ Edited ]

I would use 

http://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/sensors/zero-gecko-weather-station-starter-kit

to build a station to register sun parameters during whole day for the analysis and choice of optimal angle to build terraced beds in the garden according to permaculture ideas to catch maximum of the sun to grow some exotic fruits

I would like to use USB to SPI Bridge Evaluation Kit to bulid All-in-one measuring system.
The system will be contained 7 reconfigurable devices:
* Function generator,
* Oscilloscope,
* Multimeter (voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter),
* Frequency response monitor,
* Spectrum analyzer,
* Logic analyzer,
* Protocol analyzer for SPI, I2C, CAN, LIN.
Signals can be connected to analog processing board with analog to digital converters (ADC), digital to analog converters (DAC), programmable gain amplifiers (PGA), GPIO isolators.
To access the virtual instrument (e.g. oscilloscope) user will be used PC with software based on CP2130 SDK.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Star</font></font> </a> ele

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am interested in Zero Gecko Starter Kit with Weather Station Demo ( http://www.silabs.com/products/sensors/infraredsensors/pages/zero-gecko-sensor-exp-evb.aspx ). I want to build smart home system which will control the heating, dehumidification, lighting, electric window blinds and works with sensors of the alarm system.

Administrator

Thank you to all who participated in this contest and shared your project ideas with us Robot Happy Our judges will announce the result of the contest on this page soon!

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs
Highlighted

All,

Thanks to all of you for the great ideas!  This contest was *very* difficult to judge.  The winners are:

1. Heart monitoring system - by jrakus

2. Human-Machine-Interface driven Art - by boseji

3. Wearable vital sign monitor - by sdizdarevic

4. Compost temperature and humidity monitor - by hlipka

Nari will contact each contest winner directly to arrange your kit shipments.

We had some honorable mentions as well:

5. Sun monitor / terrace bed designer - by wojtekss

6. Home brewery controller - by melon

Thanks to all of you who shared your ideas.  Please stay tuned for our next contest!

-Brent