Reply
Highlighted
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description

[ Edited ]

Hi Lizards

Do you have a great low power design idea based on an EFM32? Let us hear about it and qualify to win a free Giant Gecko STK (EFM32GG-STK3700) to implement your idea. The best implementation will win 2000 USD.

GG_STK.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAGE 1: Describe your idea

Submit your design idea to us by October 31st, 2012. An Energy Micro jury will then select up to 40 submissions that will receive a free Giant Gecko STK to use in stage 2. This kit also includes an on-board full Segger J-Link debugger.

A submission can be made by starting a new topic (create a user to post a topic) in the Stage 1 Submissions-section starting the topic title with [DC12-S1]. Topics will only be visible to the creator before October 31st, but will be visible to everyone after this. Give a brief description of your idea in the topic post, which also describes why the EFM32 is a good fit for this design. The jury will reward originality, usefulness, energy efficiency and how well the design fits the EFM32.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAGE 2: Make and show it!

Nothing is better than a working demo. That's why we want you to implement your idea and show it to the world. A submission can be made by starting a new topic in the Stage 2 Submissions-section. Topics will only be visible to the creator before January 31st, but will be visible to everyone after this.The topic post must include the following:

  • A title (Use this as the topic title)

  • A description of your design

  • One or more nice pictures of your design

  • A link to a short (around 2 min) video that demonstrates the design. The video must be uploaded to Youtube and the title must include 'EFM32 Design Contest 2012'. The description of the video on Youtube must also link to your submission post on the Lizard Lounge.

  • Any source code or schematics/drawings used (can be sent by PM as described below)

    Source code, schematics or other technical details that the submitter does not want to make public must be submitted by private message to Rasmus. Such material will be used by the jury to decide the winners, but will not be made public by Energy Micro.

    Stage 2 will close on January 31st 2013. An Energy Micro jury will then award the following prizes to the best submissions:

    1st prize: 2000 USD

    2nd prize: 1000 USD

    3rd prize : 500 USD


    The jury will reward the quality of the implementation, originality, usefulness, energy efficiency and how well the design fits the EFM32.

    All who received a free kit in Stage 1 will keep their Starter Kit. Free EFM32 samples can be obtained here.

    Stage 2 will also be open to new contestants who did not participate in Stage 1. Submissions for Stage 2 should not closely resemble other peoples submissions for Stage 1 unless you posted a similar idea yourself in Stage 1. Kits can also be bought world-wide from Digi-Key or Mouser, or through a local distributor.

    For questions and discussions around the contest, please use the Discussions-section.



    ---------------------------------------- Legal Information ----------------------------------------

    Energy Micro reserves the right to change the terms of this contest at any time. All cash prize awards are paid gross/before income tax. Any submitted content must comply with the Code of Conduct. The intellectual property of the submitted content shall be owned by the participant. Energy Micro shall have the right to freely use and publish the submitted content for marketing purposes. If Energy Micro wants to use the submitted content for any other purpose, Energy Micro shall negotiate with the participant and sign a related agreement.
Posts: 164
Registered: ‎09-17-2012

Contest description

Questions to Stage 1:

a) can more than one design idea be submitted in different posts by the same user?

b) can I additionally to the efm32 chip use any external components, sensors, android apps, etc. as a part of the project idea?

c) only a description is acceptable or pictures and schemes are also ok?
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎06-01-2012

Contest description


Gelmi wrote:

Questions to Stage 1:a) can more than one design idea be submitted in different posts by the same user?b) can I additionally to the efm32 chip use any external components, sensors, android apps, etc. as a part of the project idea?c) only a description is acceptable or pictures and schemes are also ok?




a: Yes, many ideas from one user is allowed.

b: Yes, external components, sensors, smart phone etc. are allowed as part of the idea, (smart accessory for phone for example), but the idea should be built around the EFM32 with low power in focus.

c: Pictures, drawings, diagrams are ok, but not a necessity.
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-18-2012

Contest description

Hello, I posted my proposal, how and when will you say what proposals are selected? Do you plan to send an email?
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description


micronpn wrote:

Hello, I posted my proposal, how and when will you say what proposals are selected? Do you plan to send an email?




We will announce the winning Stage 1 proposals as a post in the Design Contest 2012 section soon after the deadline on October 31st. We will also contact the winners in a private message to collect shipment details for the STKs.
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎05-30-2012

Contest description

Maybe there´s some inspiration for applications here. Apparently there´s not much energy needed for designs using power efficient microcontrollers: (Energy Micro homepage) 'steute realizes wireless switch by energy harvesting using EFM32 Cortex-M3 MCU'
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎09-19-2012

Contest description

Can we use PDF file for submission ? Any other MUST that we need to include for first stage submission?
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description


harshad.italiya wrote:

Can we use PDF file for submission ? Any other MUST that we need to include for first stage submission?




Yes, you can submit a PDF if you want, but a brief description is enough for stage 1. As such there are no strict requirements for the format. We just want to understand clearly what your idea is about.
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎09-11-2012

Contest description

Do we need to specify a particular uC (e.g. tinyGecko with part no so and so) from EFM32 family for idea submission ?
Posts: 120
Registered: ‎09-11-2012

Contest description

As Rasmus mentioned, for stage 1 a brief description is sufficient. Stage 1 is to present a original design / idea. There will be a chance to qualify for free-of-cost GG STK. I believe any EFM32 family can be used for this contest.
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description

We chose the GIant Gecko STK as the prize for stage 1 as the GIant Gecko includes all of the features you can find in the other EFM32 families. You are however free to choose whichever EFM32 you like for your design idea, and the part does not need to be specified specifically for stage 1. Either way, the STK can be used as a debugger and energy profiler for your design.
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-23-2012

Contest description

If two or more submissions are similar enough to be considered the same idea, and the idea is selected as a winner, how will you decide which submission wins Stage 1?
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description


hectorh wrote:

If two or more submissions are similar enough to be considered the same idea, and the idea is selected as a winner, how will you decide which submission wins Stage 1?




For stage 1 we will have up to 40 winners as we will send out up to 40 free STKs. The number depends on the number of submissions we get, but so far we are looking to send out a lot of STKs as we have received a lot of submissions already. We could of course still find that we have two similar ideas where one makes the cut and one does not. But even though the ideas may be similar, there might be a few differences that set them apart according to the jury criteria in the contest description above. I must add though that we so far have not received any submissions that are exactly the same.
Posts: 164
Registered: ‎09-17-2012

Contest description

I have a question for stage 2 about this working demo. Does it have to be a separate board (pcb) with all the components or can I use a starter kit as a part of the prototype and just plug in some components with wires? So the demo is fully functional but not necessary miniaturized and in all-in-one-pcb stage. In other words: will the devices with the same functionality be granted with the same amount of points if one is more like beta tested device with casing and the other is the STK board with couple of pcb mini boards connected to it?
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎06-01-2012

Contest description


Gelmi wrote:

I have a question for stage 2 about this working demo. Does it have to be a separate board (pcb) with all the components or can I use a starter kit as a part of the prototype and just plug in some components with wires? So the demo is fully functional but not necessary miniaturized and in all-in-one-pcb stage. In other words: will the devices with the same functionality be granted with the same amount of points if one is more like beta tested device with casing and the other is the STK board with couple of pcb mini boards connected to it?




Since the prize after stage 1 is an STK, which can be used when implementing in stage 2, implementations on an STK (possibly with prototype boards connected) will of course be granted points based on functions, not how nice it looks. It is not necessary to miniaturize the implementation or make custom pcb's etc. to compete.
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-23-2012

Contest description

The result of Stage 1 did not come out yet? It should be over before 1th Nov, right?
Posts: 204
Registered: ‎09-16-2012

Contest description

Give them some time! They can't give the results until they've evaluated the entries!
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description

Hi all!

Stage 1 is now closed and we have received 83 submissions in total! Thanks everyone for sending in all of these great and imaginative design ideas. We will start right away to read through these and the winners of the GG STKs for stage 1 will be announced within a week. The winners will also be contacted by Private Message (in Lizard Lounge) to collect shipment information.

Once the winners are declared we will also reveal all the stage 1 submissions for everyone to see.
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-23-2012

Contest description


Rasmus wrote:

Hi all!Stage 1 is now closed and we have received 83 submissions in total! Thanks everyone for sending in all of these great and imaginative design ideas. We will start right away to read through these and the winners of the GG STKs for stage 1 will be announced within a week. The winners will also be contacted by Private Message (in Lizard Lounge) to collect shipment information.Once the winners are declared we will also reveal all the stage 1 submissions for everyone to see.




WOW, exciting to the result of a brain storm~~
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎10-26-2012

Contest description

Can't wait for results, I'm so exited.
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎10-18-2012

Contest description

*excited!* that is quite a few submissions, best of luck going through all Robot Very Happy
Posts: 556
Registered: ‎05-14-2012

Contest description

We have closed this topic now as this single thread is not suited to handle multiple separate questions. Instead we ask you to post any questions regarding this contest in a new topic in the Contest Discussion section.