Accepted Solution

WGM110 + BRD4320A + DFU?

I wanted to see if I can update the FW over USB without using the WSTK.

So I flashed in a FW with USB enabled, installed the driver, and unplugged BRD4320A from WSTK.  I plugged the board into the USB port and it showed up as a COM port.  Then I tried running wifi_dfu but it repeats "Reboot timeout, retrying" eventually ended with a "Module boot error".

What am I doing wrong?

Highlighted

Re: WGM110 + BRD4320A + DFU?

Hi,

Did you configure USB as BGAPI? Can you control the module using BGTool through the USB interface on the radio board? Have you tried calling wifi_dfu without flowcontrol in the parameters?

Regards,

Tiago

It's configured with descriptor=cdc.xml and api=true.

When wifi_dfu is run, I see the device disappear from windows device manager then come backup, I guess it's rebooting.  But wifi_dfu could never reconnect, even after I run it again.  Have to unplug then replug for wifi_dfu to see it again.  nortscts and usb parameters give the same result.

Hi,

Right, I see what the problem is. The wifi_dfu was not really designed to support the USB interface. When it resets to DFU mode the whole module resets which means that the COMPort will re-enumerate but the wifi_dfu doesn't take this into consideration so you can't really use it unfortunately.

I'll make a feature request to get this added to the tool.

Regards,

Tiago

So what are my options regarding field-updates over USB?  J-link?

On the WSTK would it be possible to program the radio board through an external J-link?  Or must I remove the radio board first?

Hi,

Well J-Link is always the safest option. Or you can also write your own wifi_dfu which can handle the COMPort re-enumeration. I created an internal ticket to add USB support to our wifi_dfu but I can't tell when or if it will get done.

You can program the radio board with an external J-Link but you must first set the WSTK debug mode to IN. Please check here how to do it: http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi-Knowledge-Base/WGM110-Setting-the-WSTK-in-Debug-Out-M...

Regards,

Tiago

I just got the J-Link plus.  I unplugged the radio board, jumped some wires from the radio board to the J-Link, and ran the J-flash program.  It can connect and find the JTAG device so the connection should be correct.  But I have no idea how to program.  When I try to load the bin file generated from bgbuild it would complain about it being too big.  Maybe that's not the file but I don't see anything else here.

I use the eliminate blank area function and tried again.  But still no go.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the J-flash so I can't be of much assistance here. Maybe you need to properly configure the target part and/or flash?

Regards,

Tiago

Frankly I'm a noob here and have no idea what goes in which addresses.

If straight J-flash doesn't, work I'm entertaining the idea of using BGTool which will require that I connect J-Link up the same way as the WSTK.  It says in the documentation that I can get the schematics for WSTK via Simplicity Studio but I can't find it.  Any pointers?

Hi,

I don't think you need the full schematic, just the debug connector pinout on the WSTK. That's in the WSTK user guide UG172. And in addition you should take a look a this thread where the same topic was discussed.

Regards,

Tiago

OK so assuming the J-link on the WSTK works with BGTool to program the radio board, but an external J-Link doesn't, it means there's some difference between the one on the WSTK and the one I purchased from Segger?

I got the J-Link plus working with Simplicity Commander.  I suppose this is good enough for now.