Using the C SDK without IAR for BGM113

I am working with a company on a project that is looking to run C code directly on the BGM113 module. Is this possible without an IAR license? For example, would it be possible to point Simplicity to a GNU compiler that could allow us to cross-compile for the Cortex M4 processor on the BGM113?

Thanks!

Kai

Re: Using the C SDK without IAR for BGM113

Hi,

GCC is not supported at present time, which means IAR is the only compiler you can use to develop BGM113 project. GCC support will be released in the near future, we already have an internal version, when finish the test, it will be available.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Could you give us any kind of indication of what the "near future" might be for GCC support? Perhaps within the next 30 days? Our company would also be very interested in helping you test a beta version of this. Please let us know.

Thanks!
Kai

Hi Kai,

Sorry that I don't know the fixed schedule of GCC support release. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

One year now since your last message, what about your progress ?

Best regards,

Yannick

Last message by Kevin was posted 4th of July this year so it's about 3 weeks ago. The date that is printed below username is when that user has registered to the forum.

No new updates about the GCC support at this point.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Super Star</font></font> </a> eck

If you want to experiment a bit, you can use the bgm-1.0.4 SDK to compile using GCC. The BLE stack object files are in the fw directory, and the EFM32 library and drivers are in the lib directory. Just compile your project using the headers of the SDK, and link against the stack and support libs using the linker file in the fw directory. This works under Windows, Mac and Linux (provided that you generate the gatt_db.c files).

The thermometer example is a good starting point, also because it compiles with the code size limited version of IAR as it doesn't include the binary blob of the BLE stack in the executable size. I attached a Makefile which compiles the example using GCC.

I'm not sure if the library and object file setup is what Silabs will be using in the end, but it's definitely a quick way to trial at least the API.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Super Star</font></font> </a> MI

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but is this makefile intended for cmd line execution instead of from inside S.Studio

by just running it from inside the bgm1.0.4 thermometer example source directory?

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Super Star</font></font> </a> eck

Yes, to be able to use the makefile, you'd have to have the ARM GCC crosscompiler and make installed, the latter would be standard on a Linux system with regular development tools. I'd recommend waiting for Silabs official GCC support later this year, using GCC at this point is more an experiment than something for a regular (and supported) workflow. I'm sure Silabs won't spend too much time right now to help to get this working Robot wink

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Super Star</font></font> </a> MI

So this specific makefile that was posted on this thread SUCCESSFULY compiled the thermometer example provided in the Silab's example directory along the path:

C:\SiliconLabs\bgm-1.0.4-1073\examples\thermometer   ?

I haven't had a chance to execute but I had downloaded this makefile into this directory since 8/16/2016 as you can see on the attached folder screenshot.

Were you actually able to make this work outside of Studio?  In case I haven't mentioned, I have an SLWSTK6101B SDK with BGM111 & BGM113 BT modules.   How do you downloaded to the flash?

Will the GCC compiler support be released with a future SDK release or is it to be released on its own timeline? I read Q4 for GCC support, but perhaps it will come with the next SDK update?

Happy new year, everyone!

Is there any news on the GCC compiler? I have been planning on using the BGM113 as a key microcontroller in my project, programming it through Simplicity Studio. I just found out this morning that the GCC compiler is not supported for this toolchain. This is the C-SDK that we're talking about, correct?

Hi, I am in the same situation. I help myself with the BLE113 as a supplement for now, but it's not the perfect solution and I am waiting very hard for the BGM113 gnu too chain. Any news?
aliebold: yes, at least I have the same understanding.
I was playing a bit with this some months ago: http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi-Knowledge-Base/GCC-example-BLE-SDK-2-0-test-only/ta-p...
There seems to be some progress lately.
Anyhow, would be of great help to have some predictions for an official gnu sdk...

Dear Guys from Silicon Labs,

Can you please share an update on the GCC toolchain for BGM113?

Thanks!

Ernst

Highlighted

The silence on this topic is tough. Need to know so we can plan accordingly. I don't want to move to another platform and I don't want to develop with IAR. Rock and a hard place as they say. 

Any progress builds at least that could be released that include the OTA functionality?

Hi everyone! 

I am interested as well about GCC availability for SS! Are there any news?

Thank you!

Hi,

GCC support is coming with the next GA release, which is scheduled at the next week.

Thanks,

Kevin

Great news. Thanks!

That is great news! Thnx!!

Please note that GCC support will be Beta.