Talking the Same BLE : Thunderboard Sense to Bluz (Nordic nRF51822)

[ Edited ]

All, 

Does anyone have any experience connection a Thunderboard Sense to a Nordic nRF51822 (in the form of a Bluz Gateway Shield - http://docs.bluz.io/hardware/gw_shield/) operating in Central Mode?

I understand the BLE protocols, etc. might be different, so it won't be as easy as simply scanning for the one, connecting up and listening to the values of the various characteristics (would be great if it was). 

Does one look to alter Gecko system level firmware or instead emulate a mobile phone app on the Nordic side (also system level firmware change).

Essentially, and in the attachment, is what I'd like to complete; a standalone IAQ with Thunderboard Sense data streaming to the cloud (perhaps once every 15 minutes) and logged there, without the need for a mobile phone as the bridge. 

Capture.JPG

Any ideas, or direction through this maze would go a long way. Cheers. 

Re: Talking the Same BLE : Thunderboard Sense to Bluz (Nordic nRF51822)

Hi,

What do you mean by this "I understand the BLE protocols, etc. might be different"?

If they were different then there wouldn't be any interoperability between bluetooth devices.

You have to do as you said, scan, connect, and read and/or subscribe to the characteristics that you want to get the values from. The the nordic side needs to push that data to the cloud as the mobile app does.

Regards,

Tiago

@tmonte - I was under the impression that whilst BLE remains the same the various manufacturers of the chipsets had different "levels" or "layers" of communications (which would mean it not being that easy to get a Gecko talking to a Nordic chip). Perhaps on this I am wrong. 

"You have to do as you said, scan, connect, and read and/or subscribe to the characteristics that you want to get the values from. The the nordic side needs to push that data to the cloud as the mobile app does."

- I'd imagine I would need to get the Nordic to handle the pairing, swopping paid code (if there is any encryption) and emulating the mobile app (selecting various sensors etc.). 

I'll let you know how I get along with this when I have all the parts up and running. 

Neal. 

Hi,

You're right, it's the Nordic part that has to do the heavy lifting, the TB Sense "just" reads the sensors and makes their data available in the GATT.

As you can understand we won't provide support for the nordic part but if there's something on the TB Sense or system level issues that you might run into feel free to ask here.

Regards,

Tiago

Highlighted

@tmonte - Appreciate the offer for support. I will most likely be coming back to you with some questions, but from your explanation it should be straight forward enough.  

Will let you know how I progress when I get the parts in the post. 

Regards, 

Neal.