Running BLE112 code on Thunderboard Sense

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We are a fledgling startup looking to use the SiLabs platform. I have done some of my development work using the BLE112 module and am evaluating the Thunderboard Sense to ease the portion about uploading the sensor data to the cloud.

However, I have not been able to find any documentation on programming the sense, or syntax differences between programming the sense vs. BLE112. Any such resources would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Running BLE112 code on Thunderboard Sense

Have you done your BLE112 programming in C or BGScript?

The API commands to use the Bluetooth stack are quite similar between BLExxx products and Blue Gecko based products (such as the TB sense). 

We have a BLE113 -> BGM113 migration guide, see following link:

http://www.silabs.com/documents/login/application-notes/AN1036-Migration-BLE113-BGM113.pdf

If you are familiar with BLExxx products then this document might help you understand what are the differences in the API commands.

Highlighted

Hi,

For the TB Sense specifically you have the user's guide which shows the sensors on the board and how they interface with the EFR32MG. For example, sensors are in groups and they are powered by different power supply switches, the user guide shows a block diagram of those. If you couple this with the examples in simplicity studio it's already a good starting point.

As for migration from BLE112, there is a migration guide available for migrating from BLE113 to BGM113, but the software related changes apply to BLE112 as well: http://www.silabs.com/documents/login/application-notes/AN1036-Migration-BLE113-BGM113.pdf

Regards,

Tiago

tmonte wrote:

Hi,

For the TB Sense specifically you have the user's guide which shows the sensors on the board and how they interface with the EFR32MG. For example, sensors are in groups and they are powered by different power supply switches, the user guide shows a block diagram of those. If you couple this with the examples in simplicity studio it's already a good starting point.

As for migration from BLE112, there is a migration guide available for migrating from BLE113 to BGM113, but the software related changes apply to BLE112 as well: http://www.silabs.com/documents/login/application-notes/AN1036-Migration-BLE113-BGM113.pdf

Regards,

Tiago

Thanks tmonte. I am afraid I still have some questions. At this point, I just want to write a code to blink an LED on the TB Sense either both in BGScript and C.

1. For BGScript: Do I just follow the instructions in the "Porting Code from BLE113->BGM" App note and then follow the instructions in UG173 BlueGecko BGScript Developer Guide. Is this correct?

2. For C: I start Simplicity Studio, select the SoC-empty example. This then takes me to the following screen. I am not sure how to go from this screen to the C code. Also, what does a simplicity studio project look like. What are the file and folder structure for this case.

Capture.PNG

Hi had another question about running BGScript on the TB Sense. I am trying to get the LED connected to PD11 to blink.

Attached are the relevant code files. I am using the following command to compile and flash the code.

C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\stacks\ble\v2.0.1.0\protocol\bluetooth_2.0\bin>bgbuild.exe -p EFR32MG1P132F256GM48 -f -c C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\toolchains\gnu_arm\4.9_2015q3 "C:\Users\admin\Documents\BLE Code\gecko\toggle_led - p0.0\project.xml"

Hi,

Just a heads up if you haven't noticed yet, BGScript is deprecated on the latest SDK release and GCC is now available (as Beta). The next SDK release will not have BGScript support at all. 

Have you considered moving to C?

Regards,

Tiago

Thanks. Yes, I am considering moving to C as well. I have a running code in BGScript that I want to have running ASAP for a demo.

In parallel, I will be starting on the C code. I am having some issues understanding how the project structure works for C code. I asked that question in this thread last night as well. You can find it 2 posts up. 

I would appreciate if you could help me with getting the LED to blink in BGScript as well as asnwering the question about C project structure.

Hi Guys,

Can someone answer the question about the structure of a C code for BGM as well as running BGScripts on BGM.

Thanks

6thsense wrote:

Hi had another question about running BGScript on the TB Sense. I am trying to get the LED connected to PD11 to blink.

Attached are the relevant code files. I am using the following command to compile and flash the code.

Your code includes lots of stuff that is only valid for BLExxx products. A working LED blink example for BGM111 can be found for example in this thread:

http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi/BGScript-for-BGM111-LED-Blinky/m-p/182966

It should be easy to modify that example to use PD11 as the LED output.

regarding the C development part: have a look at the documentation that comes with the SDK. The screenshot you posted above shows you're using SDK v2.0.1 ->

C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\stacks\ble\v2.0.1.0\app\bluetooth_2.0\doc\

QSG108: Getting Started with Silicon Labs’ Bluetooth® Software is a good starting point.