I lead the Silicon Labs Bluetooth marketing. Ask Me Anything.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I’m Mikko, a senior marketing manager responsible for Bluetooth products at Silicon Labs and I’m excited to introduce our new Bluetooth 5 portfolio. These products help designers implement Bluetooth 5 compliant products and applications fast.

I’m here to answer any questions about the Blue Gecko Bluetooth SoC, Modules or Software, Bluetooth 5 or any other Bluetooth related topics so ask me anything!

I will check your questions once a day and answer them until 21st July.

- M i k k o

Re: I lead the Silicon Labs Bluetooth marketing. Ask Me Anything.

Reading through your documentation, I am getting "Access Denied" in certain locations, such as attempting to access your examples for DKBLE (specifically interested in the USB to UART).

Bottom 3 links from this page, which appears to be the same link, generate access denied notice

Specifically, I am looking for a demo where I use two terminal windows on the PC, one for master device, one for slave device, where I can send serial data back and forth.  Does such an example exist.  If so, can you point me in the right direction. 

Hi,

I did not find out examples_bgscript folder after Simplicity Studio and Bluetooth SDK 2.4.0.1 installation...

How can I get BGscript examples? Does it mean that BGscript has no support anymore?

Highlighted

Hi,

Bluetooth SDK 2.4.x and newer unfortunately not support any more, so that's why the examples are not there. The last SDK supporting BGScript was 2.3.x.

We released support for GCC and with Simplicity studio you can have fully free of charge tools for Bluetooth development, which was one of the reasons we originally introduced BGScript scripting language. 

Regards,

-Mikko

Hi Froboz,

Sorry to hear you have troubles. Can you point me to an exact link or resource you cannot access, so I can give it a try and address the issues if there are any?

For DKBLE would the application described on this application note do exactly what you want?

https://www.silabs.com/documents/login/application-notes/AN1033-LE-Serial-Cable-Replacement.pdf

It's possible that that would work, but I want to back up for a minute to get a broader view of things. I need to communicate serially (as in cable replacement) with a BLE113 device. I assume all of Silicon Labs Bluetooth modules are able to communicate with each other (versus me trying to establish a serial link with a Cypress device, for example). You have your BLE parts and your BGM parts. Is there any compelling reason for me to use one over another when the end goal is to be able to communicate with a BLE113. Are the examples "better" for the BGM than they are for the BLE. I was using this document: http://community.silabs.com/mgrfq63796/attachments/mgrfq63796/BluetoothandWiFi%40tkb/355/1/BLE_Appli... and found it a bit confusing - which files to use for the dongle and which for the peripheral device. And I ended up bricking my dongle because I accidentally put firmware intended for BLE113 onto the dongle which uses BLE112 (your system actually allows that?) Your help is much appreciated. As you can see, I am a newb when it comes to using your Bluetooth devices.

why is this here, not in the "bluetooth forum"

erik

He said "Ask me anything?"

Good question Erik. Robot Happy

I'll try and get this thread moved to the Bluetooth forum. 

-Mikko

Hi,

Froboz wrote:
It's possible that that would work, but I want to back up for a minute to get a broader view of things. I need to communicate serially (as in cable replacement) with a BLE113 device. I assume all of Silicon Labs Bluetooth modules are able to communicate with each other (versus me trying to establish a serial link with a Cypress device, for example).

Bluetooth is a standard inter-operable technology, so all our Bluetooth LE modules and SoC talk to each other and also with our competitor devices for that matter. 

Froboz wrote:
Is there any compelling reason for me to use one over another when the end goal is to be able to communicate with a BLE113. Are the examples "better" for the BGM than they are for the BLE. 

This depends on your use case and needs. The BLExxx modules are perfectly working products, but they are 4-5 years old where as our BGM modules are using our latest generation ARM Cortex M4 + radio SoCs and therefore have better performance, so they are lower power, have better radio performance and have a more powerful MCU and can for example provide better throughput for cable replacement.  

But at the end of the day you can do cable replacement (or UART-to-BLE) on both products. One other key difference is that nowadays the BGM modules only support C programming whereas the BLE modules can still be programmed with BGScript, which is our proprietary, but easy-to-use scripting language.

Other than the difference in the programming language I would not say there is a huge difference between the examples for BGM modules vs. BLE modules.

Froboz wrote:
And I ended up bricking my dongle because I accidentally put firmware intended for BLE113 onto the dongle which uses BLE112 (your system actually allows that?) Your help is much appreciated. As you can see, I am a newb when it comes to using your Bluetooth devices.

If you submit a ticket to our support team, unless you already did, they'll provide you assistance how to solve this problem. You can submit the ticket here: https://siliconlabs.force.com/home/home.jsp

Regards,

-Mikko

Hello Mikko,

I have the Blue Gecko starter kit (SLWSTK6020A), and I was wondering if there are any example projects set up for IAR.

Thanks.

Hi jwtonn,

I have the Blue Gecko starter kit (SLWSTK6020A), and I was wondering if there are any example projects set up for IAR.

Currently we distribute the SDKs through simplicity studio, which also servers as an IDE. WE however have full support for IAR IDE and compiler.

One way to get started is:

• To download and install a Bluetooth SDK using Studio
  • In the launcher view you'll see "New Project" button
  • Select the Bluetooth SDK
  • Select the example application like "SoC - Empty" which is as plain Bluetooth project as possible.
  • Hit Next
  • Define a name for your project
  • Now you get asked for the compiler/toolchain and you can select IAR or GCC
    • Select IAR (if you have it installed)
  • Press Finish

Studio will generate an example project for you and if you selected IAR it will generate the .EWW .EWD .EWP files in your workspace. You can open these files with IAR EW and you should be good to go.

That worked. Thanks.

The BGAPI protocol definition for BGM1xx and BLExxx

We asked this question on the Forum at http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi/The-BGAPI-protocol-definition-for-BGM1xx-and-BLExxx/m... and the supply support suggest to submit the question in this thred. The question it's reported below.

We worked on Bluegiga BLE1xx modules starting 2014 and then on BGM1xx modules starting the end of 2015. We always use the BGAPI functionalities for inside modules firmware and also from the outside host serial port. In the For the 

The BGAPI functionalities are pretty the same for Bluegiga modules and for Silicon Labs modules but the contents of the protocol packets are very different ... WHY  ?

From the point of view of a user of Silicon Labs modules and microcontroller, like we are, this it's an issue that must be adeguately descibed because customers that used Bluegiga modules, like we are, must completely redefine their firmware/software host to use a Silicon Labs module or microcontroller to do the same previous things on Bluegiga.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Genius</font></font> </a> jm

I have a Blue Gecko Module Wireless Starter Kit with a BGM111, BGM121 and BMA280 expansion board.

Where can I find the source code for the demo that uses the expansion board? The only demos and source that show up in the launcher are for bluetooth.

Re: The BGAPI protocol definition for BGM1xx and BLExxx

Hi Valter,

Thanks for your questions.

valter_iblio wrote:

The BGAPI functionalities are pretty the same for Bluegiga modules and for Silicon Labs modules but the contents of the protocol packets are very different ... WHY  ?  

It is correct the bytes in the BGAPI headers changed, for example do to changes we did not the command classes and we have slightly different classes used in the Blue Gecko products vs. the Bluegiga BLE modules. So that's one reason why the headers changed. 

We however kept the header format the same as well we tried to keep the API as similar to the BLE module API as possible. 

We also saw an opportunity to simplify certain items in this change and improve the usability of the API and therefore we for example nowadays provide a higher level GATT API instead of the old style ATT protocol API, which hopefully makes the implementation of the application and Bluetooth services easier. 

As we provide the .C and .H files for the BGAPI protocol we though that provides a good abstraction between the actual serial protocol and binary format, which should help transitioning between the products. Of course if you have written the BGAPI serial protocol parser yourself, that abstraction is not available. 

The BGAPI is also available as XML which enables you to also generate your own parser from the XML and you do not necessarily need to hand craft it, which can help in some cases.

From the point of view of a user of Silicon Labs modules and microcontroller, like we are, this it's an issue that must be adeguately descibed because customers that used Bluegiga modules, like we are, must completely redefine their firmware/software host to use a Silicon Labs module or microcontroller to do the same previous things on Bluegiga.  

It seems to me that you do not use the BGAPI parser implementation from us which implements the BGAPI serial protocol and which is available in source code for easy portability between different host platforms (MCU, Windows, Linux etx.).

Is this correct and was there a specific reason why you decided not to use it?

Re: The BGAPI protocol definition for BGM1xx and BLExxx

Hi Mikko,

thanks for the description of the reasons of the changes made for the BGAPI protocol.

We use BGM1xx and BLE1xx modules in a standalone mode and also controlled from an external host like PC, MAC and Raspberry PI usually for doing Gateways from Bluetooth Low Energy devices to / from Internet Backend based on Node-RED. 

We also write hybrid Mobile Application (based on JS, CSS and HTML) that alway use our in-field Bluetooth Low Energy devices based on BGM1xx and BLE1xx modules,

For the above reasons we do not use the BGAPI parser implementation from Silicon Labs because we use BGM1xx and BLE1xx connected to PC, MAC  and Raspberry PI and we write code in JS / Node.js for cross-platform software portability. 

Hi,

I have a Blue Gecko Module Wireless Starter Kit with a BGM111, BGM121 and BMA280 expansion board.

Where can I find the source code for the demo that uses the expansion board? The only demos and source that show up in the launcher are for bluetooth.

I've attached a file which contains a piece of source code which shows you how to use the joystick and buttons on the EXP board. This is from one our our Apple HomeKit examples and I have stripped our the HomeKit specific features out of it as we cannot share Apple HomeKit code publicly. 

If you want to use the BMA280 accelerometer, you might find this KB article useful as well:
http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi/Using-accelerometer-in-BGM111-BMG113-dev-kit-with-C-S...

We also have the Thunderboard sense IoT Kit , which as almost every sensor you can imagine and the Bluetooth SDK contains example source code for this boars showing how to access the sensors and send the data over Buetooth to our Thunderboard sense iOS and Android applications.

-Mikko

I built a bluetooth soc-empty project for IAR. Your instructions were helpful and it worked great. However, when I tried to convert that project from a c project to a C++ project in IAR I got a bunch of compile errors (shown in the attachment).

Are there any instructions on how to handle this?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm Thomas, the CTO of Tempow (http://tempow.com/). We developed a Bluetooth audio multistreaming technology that allows playing music on multiple audio devices with a perfect synchronization, whatever their brands or models. It is a 100% software solution, which only needs to be on the master device, that we built on Android by completely remodeling the Bluetooth stack. We are currently integrating it in some Android smartphones brands.

Today, I'm interested in implementing this technology directly in a Bluetooth chipset because it would allow to use it easily in all different devices (such as speakers, TVs, etc.) and it will allow also bring more value to the hardware. So I was wondering if we could do that from your SoC. We only need access to the L2CAP layer of your stack. Is it something possible? Could you help us to do it?

Best,

Thomas
thomas@tempow.com

Hi Thomas,

Today, I'm interested in implementing this technology directly in a Bluetooth chipset because it would allow to use it easily in all different devices (such as speakers, TVs, etc.) and it will allow also bring more value to the hardware. So I was wondering if we could do that from your SoC. We only need access to the L2CAP layer of your stack. Is it something possible? Could you help us to do it?

Do I assume correctly that you are using Bluetooth BR/EDR technology and A2DP profile for this purpose?  

If you are our Bluetooth SoCs may not work for you as they only support Bluetooth LE technology and do not support Bluetooth BR/EDR and A2DP. 

I do believe in the long term audio will also move of top of Bluetooth LE as with 2M PHY, periodic advertisement and the enhancements which are coming in Bluetooth 5.1 will enable audio to the transmitted of Bluetooth LE. However there is still some specification work to do at the Bluetooth SIG to fully enable this.

Administrator

Thank you for your valuable questions and feedback. The AMA (Ask Me Anything) session with Mikko Savolainen is now closed. Please stay tuned for the next AMA! 

Nari | Community Manager | Silicon Labs