Highlighted
Accepted Solution

BLE113 or BGM111

[ Edited ]

I am starting new project for industrial application. The device must work for six months/one year with battery supply. For my small quantities (50/100 pcs/year) I must use a precertified module.

My first choice was the BLE113 fully certified module with lots of documents and support

but I see also the new BGM111

I am a newbie with bluegiga modules, with which of the two modules should I start thinking about an availability for at least the next eight years.
The estimate production date is near end of 2016. When the BG111 module will be certified?

thanks

Diego

Re: BLE113 or BGM111

Hi,

The BLE113 and BGM111 are quite difference products with difference capabilities. Are you going to use the module to run the application? How much range do you need (BLE113 has shorter range)?

Regards,

Tiago

Thanks for reply tmonte

Yes, the application run on module It is a simple classical application: every second the module read three analogs inputs and send the measured values to master device using RF. The max distance is 10/20 meters indoor but in harsh environment (steelworks furnace)

I have worked with Cortex M4 I have also a licensed IAR compiler updated periodically, and I think I have the necessary for working with BGM111 but the problems are:
certifications ?
Technical data (For example: in the BGM111 datasheet the current consumption (table 9.7 and 9.8 pg.17) are filled with TBD for all operation state, how estimate the battery life ?)

The BLE113 is a mature product with a lots of info. For writing the module application I have to study the scripting language but I think is not a big problem.

But if after 1 or 2 years silbas stop the BLE113 production... I lost my time...

[ Edited ]

Hello,

from your post I get the impression that you think you need to use C / IAR compiler to develop with BGM111. This is not the case, you can write BGScript applications for both BLE113 and BGM111.

The application you described (sample three ADC inputs and push the results to client) sounds like a simple application that can be done with a short BGScript application.

BGM111 is going into mass production Q2 this year and by that time we will also release an updated datasheet with TBD fields filled in. And certifications, too.

For how long do you predict BLE112 and BLE113 to be in production?

Hi,

We don't have an answer for that. But in any case if these products are discontinued at some point you will get an EOL notification which gives you enough time to buy a big amount of devices to cover the production needs of your application.

Regards,

Tiago

Ok thanks to all.
Unfortunately I am in the middle of the river ... my customer ask me the project details in a short time
BLM111 seems to be the right choice, but it is in pre-production phase, technical data are not yet released and the risks are delays in mass production or certifications, errata in first productio
BLE113 is a mature product I think in a couple of weeks I can build a prototype, but the risk is the EOL not so far.

JaakkoV thanks, yes I know, BLM111 offers the dual programming approach: script or C language in ARM environment (not 8051) It is a puls for BGM111

Hi,

Please don't distort my words, I didn't say that the BLE113 EOL was "not so far", I said that we couldn't answer that question because it's very hard to predict. For your information the BLE113 is a very successful module, the are new designs coming in all the time and it's selling very well so your "not so far" could very well be 5+ years.

Regards,

Tiago

No No tmonte

the "not so far" is a risk, may be or not. 

I have understood, the module EOL at the moment is unpredictable.