Highlighted
Accepted Solution

BGM121 reset loop in example project when compiled with GCC.

Problem

I am attempting to run the soc-smartPhone demo project with the Blue Gecko Wireless Starter Kit and BGM121 (BRD4302A vA03) radio board. Unfortunately, I am encountering some sort of reset loop. The LCD briefly flashes the expected text every 1-2s, but is blank for the rest of the time. I am also unable to detect the device using the Blue Gecko iPad app. If I swap out the radio board for the BGM111, the application runs as expected.

Debugging

When I run the application with the debugger, the debugger disconnects during the gecko_wait_event() command, but not until the gecko_evt_system_boot_id event is processed. I found that, if I comment out the line gecko_cmd_le_gap_set_mode(le_gap_general_discoverable, le_gap_undirected_connectable), the application runs, but of course I can no longer connect.

I have tried some of the other example projects as well, but they all exhibit the same issue.

Compiler

The application was previously running fine when compiled with IAR, but my license has expired. Could there be some issue with the new beta GCC support? I am using the GNU ARM v4.9.3 toolchain with the Gecko SDK Suite: Bluetooth 2.3.0.0 (v1.0.0) SDK.

Thanks in advance for the help! Please let me know what other info I should provide.

Re: BGM121 reset loop in example project when compiled with GCC.

Looks like this might just be an issue with the 2.3.0 SDK...

"We are working on a patch and hopefully that can be released soon. In the meanwhile, one easy workaround to this issue is to decrease TX power level. By default, the TX power is set to maximum (for example, +8dBm with BGM111 or +3 dBm with BGM113). Try lowering the transmit power with command cmd_system_set_tx_power before starting any advertising or scanning."

http://community.silabs.com/t5/Bluetooth-Wi-Fi/Migrating-to-2-3-0/m-p/192180

[ Edited ]

You're right, this is a known issue in BLE SDK 2.3.0 that is not related to GCC toolchain.

Thanks!!! Same issue here, and your tip resolved.

I have the same issue, i haven't tried the cmd_system_set_tx_power solution yet.

The weird thing is this worked perfectly (I was able to read the temperature and the RSSI) this morning but when i tried to regenerate the same project this afternoon, I had the issue you exposed above.

Is the sdk fixed (and if yes, where can i get the new version) and I made something wrong the second time or not fixed and I have been lucky in first place?

Have a great afternoon Robot Happy ,
Raphael

The SDK is not fixed yet, a patch is coming soon. I guess you were just lucky in your first tests Robot Happy