Highlighted
Accepted Solution

BGM 111 Not able to load software examples from SDK

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am using the Wireless Starter Kit Board together with the BGM111-A BLE Module. As suggested I am using the latest Version of Simplicity Studio and installed all recommended software package. I also installed the Bluetooth Smart SDK v2.1.1. The Bluetooth Module is recognized correctly within Simplicity Studio and I only have the option to set the "Bluetooth SDK v2.1.1" as preferred SDK for the Module. 

However there are no Demos and Software Examples shown in the Launcher, so it is probably the wrong SDK.

Has anyone a suggestion why I cannot select the Bluetooth Smart SDK?

Re: BGM 111 Not able to load software examples from SDK

2.1.1 is the right SDK, it's currently the latest version we have released.

Do you have your WSTK kit with the BGM111 plugged in? Does Studio recognize the kit / radio board? What is the exact version of the radio board (BRD4300A xxxxx ) ?

Hi, any progress on this topic?

I have the same issue, i have followed the Thunderboard React user guide.

It should show the demo's but i see none..

The source code and binaries are present in C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\stacks\ble\v2.1.1.0\app\bluetooth_2.1\appbuilder

Can i just manually import them?

I have connected the Thunderboard through a Giant Gecko with an Olimex Arm-JTAG adapter using the debug out on the giant gecko.

Knipsel.PNG

@rensbaeyens I tested this on my computer, see attached screenshot:

TBreact.png

Everything looks to match your screenshot (SDK version etc.) but the only difference is that in my case the examples are shown on the right hand side.

I guess this could be an issue with the Simplicity Studio version (and not Bluetooth SDK). Have you tried installing all the latest upgrades for Simplicity Studio?

Clean install did the job! 

Thanks a lot!

Yes the Bluetooth was and is plugged at all time using Simplicity Studios. The Studio recognize the Board corretly with excat version BRD4300A Rev A01.

However I found a work around with using the older Bluetooth Smart SDK v2.0.0 which works for me. The newer Bluetooth SDK v2.1.1 still shows no software examples.

@rensbaeyensWhat exactly do you mean with clean install?

@FabDev this is the problem:

>>The Studio recognize the Board corretly with excat version BRD4300A Rev A01.

That (revA01) is the BGM111 v1 board and it is no longer supported in Simplicity Studio v4.

This is copy-pasted from SDK release notes (BLE SDK v2.0.0)

BGM111v1.0 : The first HW version (v1.0) of the BGM111 Bluetooth module is no longer supported in Simplicity Studio v4.

Okay, that explains a lot, I must somehow overread it.

Do I better get a newer board or is it appropriate to use the board with an older SDK in Simplicity Studio v4 or can I manually downgrade to an older Simplicity Studio Version?

Best option is to get a new board. I don't recommend using old versions to get this board working. You would need to downgrade to Studio v3.3 and BLE SDK 1.0.4.

For test purposes, you can still use the BGM111 v1 (BRD4300A Rev01). This requires some hacking but it's not that hard to set up.

First, manually add a more fresh BGM111 radio board (like BRD4300A Rev02) to Studio, see screenshot below:

add_BGM111_rev02.png

When you select the Rev A02 board in Solutions window you should see the examples so that you can create and build a new project.

Before loading the firmware to the Rev A01 board you need to change the ctune setting to zero in the project source code, file InitDevice.c:

extern void CMU_enter_DefaultMode_from_RESET(void) {

// $[High Frequency Clock Setup]
	/* Initializing HFXO */
	CMU_HFXOInit_TypeDef hfxoInit = CMU_HFXOINIT_DEFAULT;

hfxoInit.autoStartEm01 = 1;
	hfxoInit.ctuneSteadyState = 0; //ADDED (for BGM111 v1.0)
	CMU_HFXOInit(&hfxoInit);

In code snippet above, I have added one line before calling CMU_HFXOInit.

Okay, this little "hack" is working and the debugger is warning me that the MCU Version is not supported, but Debugging works anyway.

Thank you very much for your help!

@FabDev I just uninstalled simplicity studio v4 and re-installed the program and the bluetooth stack.

Afterwards it showed the software examples as it is supposed to.