Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Silicon Labs USB Debugger Not Serial Device?

The USB Debugger does not show up as a serial device on my Windows 10 laptop in Device Manager.

I'm pretty certain that it's supposed to in order to connect through PuTTy or TeraTerm.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

Re: Silicon Labs USB Debugger Not Serial Device?

The USB Debugger does not show up as a serial device on my Windows 10 laptop in Device Manager. 

Which exact 'USB debugger' ?  

Note not all SiLabs tools have VCOM support, and some that do, have only fixed baud speed (pending a firmware upgrade).

Do you have the driver installed, and does the Debugger otherwise work as expected ?

Does it appear on other Windows PCs ok ?

It's an Silicon Labs USB Debug Adapter, an EC3uda-32-kit-debug-adapter.jpg

Like that but it's black.

It does seem to work regardless of this.

It's just, how am I supposed to run programs through a serial terminal in order to read output?

SiLabs does not make and/or sell black versions AFAIK. Maybe you should ask your vendor about this instead of here.

And the original does not provide any serial communication. Serial communication is only possible with an STK used as debug adapter. (The Toolstick has some form of serial communication through a DLL only.)

If you need communication to a terminal program, you can use an STK, a USB-UART-cable, or a good-old RS-232 with appropriate level-shifters.

Thank you for your help.

I am USB-UART cable, didn't realize that it was not supposed to be picked up as a serial with this connection.

I have a follow up question, what connection type would I be looking for then? 

For example in PuTTY the connection types are Raw, Data, Proxy, Telnet, Rlogin, SSH and Serial.

what connection type would I be looking for then?

whatever the SiLabs software you use put out.

trying to program with anything else will NOT work

erik

I am USB-UART cable, didn't realize that it was not supposed to be picked up as a serial with this connection.

A USB-UART cable (or module) is something with usually an FTDI, SiLabs CP21xx or Prolific chip inside. On the one side it has USB and on the other side it has TTL UART signals. The SiLabs USB Debug Adapter shown in the picture is not that. It has no UART connections but it does have a C2 or JTAG interface for programming and In-Circuit-Debugging a SiLabs MCU.

So now it's time you tell us what you actually want to accomplish. Do you want to program an MCU and single-step the code inside? Or do you want to communicate with an MCU using a terminal program?

First I want to program an MCU and single step inside the code but I also am in need of allowing the user to be able to enter in a command and have that command do the appropriate action.For instance if the user wanted to change the threshold of a TI INA260 or TMP100, they could do something like that. Or if they wanted to control the PWM. This window, where the user commands would be entered, would also be constantly displaying and updating the temperature, current and power levels and letting the user know what is currently happening.

If you would like more information, please ask. 

I really appreciate all the help, even if my knowledge so far has not appeared great.

Side question: Would IPMI communications be possible for this or no?

I also am in need of allowing the user to be able to enter in a command and have that command do the appropriate action.

that is known as programming and has nothing to do with the dongle

erik
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

First I want to program an MCU and single step inside the code but I also am in need of allowing the user to be able to enter in a command and have that command do the appropriate action.For instance if the user wanted to change the threshold of a TI INA260 or TMP100, they could do something like that. Or if they wanted to control the PWM. This window, where the user commands would be entered, would also be constantly displaying and updating the temperature, current and power levels and letting the user know what is currently happening.

Which specific MCU and PCB are you using ?

Who exactly is this 'user' - do you want to single step and view coms info, at the same time ?

Program and Single Step you can do using the C2D debug interface.

You cannot RUN and get information over the C2D

(You can set a Break, run until Break and then C2D link is active)

The SiLabs C8051Fxxx toolsticks include a Serial connection, but that requires the older IDE, and is a 'virtual terminal' window within the IDE. (ie users do have to start the IDE)

I'm not sure there is any 'stand alone' means to talk to that serial connection, via their debug firmware.

The EFM8 series STK boards, do have a VCOM port (currently runs at only 115200, fix pending...)

These use Simplicity Studio Debug IDE.

Those STKs can run any COM terminal, and I think a power up/reset will run by default. 

If you use your own PCB, to do the above, you need to have both C2D connection for Debug, and a TX/RX serial USB Bridge for the terminal side.

I guess it could be nice if SiLabs sold a pre programmed simple MCU, or provided firmware that allowed users to drop one easy device onto a Student LAB PCB, with both C2D and VCOM.

I'm working with a C8051F381-A-GM and am using my own PCB.

The information you have given me has definitely made things easier to understand.

Thanks for all your help!

[ Edited ]

I'm working with a C8051F381-A-GM and am using my own PCB.

Did you also look at EFM8UB2 ? (or even upcoming EFM8UB3?) 

Is this board for Lab/Student type use ?

If you want to design your own PCB, and have C2D and VCOM, then for an off-the-shelf solution I would suggest buying :

CF326-SX0261GM  - SiLabs C2D chip, preprogrammed F326 with Toolstick firmware

(shows in stock at Digikey & Symmetry sub $2 )

CP2102N - SiLabs USB-UART bridge

not expensive, but you will need 2 USB connectors.