Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Question regard a .hex image and the Silicon Labs USB Debugger

Hello,

I am currently working on a project that was unfinished by another programmer. In his README.txt file the information there leads to him saying "... program the 8051 using the debugger with the 'FruBrdRT.hex' image". 

My question is, what do I do with the image, do I mount it to something and then how do I start to program the C8051F381 after that?

I know this is a vague question, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Question regard a .hex image and the Silicon Labs USB Debugger

[ Edited ]

If Simplicity Studio can handle your device, load it and the rest will be self-explanatory.

If Simplicity Studio can not handle your device, load the 'classic' IDE and the rest will be self-explanatory.

in either case you will need a SiLabs dongle

erik

@erikm Thanks for the response.

I should have mentioned in the original post that yes I do have a SiLabs dongle.

I'm working with a Silicon Labs USB Debug Adapter.

There are many different files and folders with multiple .A51 files, c source/header files, LST and OBJ files and the one .hex file that when double clicked (with Silicon Labs IDE installed) it opens up all the files.

However, the instructions say to program with the .hex image. 

So let's say it's not straight forward and I open it in Silicon Labs IDE and it can be built and downloaded onto the Debugger.

As embarrassing as a question this is, where would I begin MY programming? Like where should I start MY code?

Thanks!

You will have to find the C source file that contains void main(void) and start from there.