How to read program directly from 8-bit MCU with Silicon labs IDE software

HI people I'm new on this and sorry for any mistake I should do.

I have a board already programmed and I wonder if possible to get that program to transfer to another board. Is there any option which let you do that in IDE software?

Btw if anyone wonder why I need to do this is because I do machine service and have an issue with one board and dont have the software to download on new one. But I have the possibility to go to a customer which have same board version.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!!

Re: How to read program directly from 8-bit MCU with Silicon labs IDE software

[ Edited ]

@JR_SERVICE2016

Which device you are using? I think you can use the flash programming utilities located here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/8-bit-microcontroller-software.aspx#flash

For the Silicon Labs IDE, you could use the UDA to connect and read out the flash content.

Tools->upload memory content to file

http://community.silabs.com/t5/8-bit-MCU-Knowledge-Base/Silabs-IDE-Uploading-Memory-Space-to-a-File/...

WeiguoLu
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

Btw if anyone wonder why I need to do this is because I do machine service and have an issue with one board and dont have the software to download on new one. But I have the possibility to go to a customer which have same board version.

Is the MCU on that same board version secured ?

Code can only be read back from unsecured parts.

Hi Deli thank you so much for your comment. I have the C8051f MCU usb adapter... the yellow one. Also I will check your link. Again thanks and any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Sorry I mean Delu.. je

Hi JMG thanks for your comment is so much appreciated. I must ask how can I know than the MCU is secired for read? There is any way to check that? Hope not be secure are my job is finish with this jeje.

how can I know than the MCU is secired for read

ask the one that programmed it

erik
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

JR_SERVICE2016 wrote:
Hi JMG thanks for your comment is so much appreciated. I must ask how can I know than the MCU is secired for read? There is any way to check that? Hope not be secure are my job is finish with this jeje.

Should be obvious, if the part is secured.

Either you will get a 'secured' message, or the file you read will be all 0xff ...

delu wrote:

@JR_SERVICE2016

Which device you are using? I think you can use the flash programming utilities located here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/8-bit-microcontroller-software.aspx#flash

For the Silicon Labs IDE, you could use the UDA to connect and read out the flash content.

Tools->upload memory content to file

http://community.silabs.com/t5/8-bit-MCU-Knowledge-Base/Silabs-IDE-Uploading-Memory-Space-to-a-File/...

Well Delu

I been looking the Flash Programming Utilities and I think is similar to the options in the SILABS IDE soft. Anyways I will try with both and look the results but I almost shure will be same for both.

Thanks a lot and I will let you know the results... Best Regards.

jmg wrote:

Should be obvious, if the part is secured.

Either you will get a 'secured' message, or the file you read will be all 0xff ...

I will see inside the file too... and find out!!! Thanks soo much for the help

JR_SERVICE2016 wrote:
Hi Deli thank you so much for your comment. I have the C8051f MCU usb adapter... the yellow one.

The yellow one? SiLabs never sold a yellow one AFAIK. Maybe you have one from IAR? I suggest to get and use a SiLabs 8-bit USB debug adapter.

erikm wrote:

Thanks Erikm... I don't think the one who programmed will tell me if secured  or not... and ask him maybe not be helpfull in the future jajaja if you know what I mean...

Thanks anyways.

vanmierlo wrote:

JR_SERVICE2016 wrote:
Hi Deli thank you so much for your comment. I have the C8051f MCU usb adapter... the yellow one.

The yellow one? SiLabs never sold a yellow one AFAIK. Maybe you have one from IAR? I suggest to get and use a SiLabs 8-bit USB debug adapter.

HI vanmierlo

The one i been using is the one in the photo... please take a look and tell me...

[ Edited ]

never saw it yellow, some blatant pirating?

erik

JR_SERVICE2016 wrote:

erikm wrote:

I don't think the one who programmed will tell me if secured  or not... and ask him maybe not be helpfull in the future jajaja if you know what I mean...

If you mean what I now think you mean, I suggest you get banned from this forum. I have no intention to help you in stealing someone else's code.

I always cringe when someone is helpful with these 'questions' I believe it is unprofessional to help with issues that 'smell' illegal

erik

HI Everyone

I think you are missunderstanding the things and taking this too personal.

1: I have to say in ADVANCE than if you read my first post you can see I say I am new on this and I mean new in all. First time in a forum, first time I need this kind of help and so on.

2: I bought this in a good faith from a seller... how can I knew this were a not a legal MCU ADAPTER?

I think maybe is a old version. I have this since 2014 but never need to use it to uploading software. Just to download. I have many software already and try with all of them first but none works.

3: I am not a programming so I am not STEALING NOTHING than I can upload, modified and later on use it for my personal porpuses or ideas to make the thing works in the way i want to..I try to fix a board and take back to life again and not make it works in no other way than it was made for. I have planty software already but none of it works because boards have communications between them and need software compatibility.

4: Before to think or say I'm pirating, stealing, or something like it you may know deeply what kind of personal I'm.

5: My lema: is better ask before to make too soon conclutions!!! so ask as many you want I am here to answer.

After all this I wish to say thanks for the good will of everyone...

Hope I can finish my job and also help other newies, remember when you were newies once some time ago.

Best Regards

I am not a programming so I am not STEALING NOTHING than I can upload

if you(r company) does not own the code, you can not legally download it

erik

erikm wrote:

I am not a programming so I am not STEALING NOTHING than I can upload

if you(r company) does not own the code, you can not legally download it

I will ask to the company then (btw i already did and waiting for replay i was trying to gain time its all by asking in this post) since I'm hurting your susceptibility, so sorry for it... You only copy and paste what is usefull for you and don"t understand the point.

Anyways I think this discussion is going far from its original point which it was created for everybody and gets to no where, if you feel and act like that.

Lets move on...

Thanks

Highlighted

It is important for you to realize that when one buys the hardware, one does not get a right to make a copy of the software inside it. There are some software licenses (e.g. GPL) that do enforce this, but most of the time it's not like that. Either way, you should ask the one that built this hardware that contains the software for a copy of the software. And they should also be able to tell you whether the device is locked or not, although you can find that out yourself as well.

But even when it's unlocked it is usually illegal to copy the software to another board. You need to get permission from the owner of the software, that is whomever wrote it or paid for it to be written.

vanmierlo wrote:

It is important for you to realize that when one buys the hardware, one does not get a right to make a copy of the software inside it. There are some software licenses (e.g. GPL) that do enforce this, but most of the time it's not like that. Either way, you should ask the one that built this hardware that contains the software for a copy of the software. And they should also be able to tell you whether the device is locked or not, although you can find that out yourself as well.

But even when it's unlocked it is usually illegal to copy the software to another board. You need to get permission from the owner of the software, that is whomever wrote it or paid for it to be written.

I am thankfuly for this explanation this is what I expect... Thanks you soo much Vanmierlo

I already ask to the owner of this software and I am waiting for replay with soft or permission.

Software is for the same machine type and board type even for this I think it will be proper to ask for permission.. Am I right?