Accepted Solution

How to debug EFM8BB custom board using Debugger without using a SDK?

[ Edited ]

I have been using KEIL 5 for debugging my custom boards made of Fxx uCs. I used Config Wizards to customize the Init sequence. but When I attempted to use Simplicity Studio for my custom designed EFM8BB board, it asks for SDK to be specified. Also it recognises my DEBUGGER, but issues errors. I am not able to test a simple blink programme. Kindly let me know how to use Simplicity studio to debug my custom circuit using C2 Debugger?  

Re: How to debug EFM8BB custom board using Debugger without using a SDK?

If you are using the UDA (USB Debugger Adapter), I think yhere is no problem to debug the EFM8BB device. you should power the part and connect the C2 interface between the UDA and EFM8BB (C2CK, C2D,GND). after connect the UDA to PC the simplicity could recognize the part. In the launcher perspective you should see the device under device view(top-left side).
if you still have problem problem you'd better upload some screenshot and elaborate the detailed operation procedure to see if other could reproduce the issue.
WeiguoLu

Additionally, for your EFM8 device you will need to specify the 8051 SDK.

Best regards,

- Phillip

I found that I was using an OLD TYPE Debugger that is suitable for Fxxx Type controllers. The Studio output is "Debugger is NOT Compatible for the device selected". I am ordering the latest DEBUGGER1-USB that is suitable for debugging Fxxx and EFM8 type controllers. I think the problem will be solved. I could compile without specifying a SDK. Once the problem is solved or when I cross the next level, I will get back to you.

Hello,

Good catch - yes, you'll need an adapter that supports EFM8.  I'm not sure if you are referring to our USB Debug Adapter (UDA), but that particular part number is "DEBUGADPTR1-USB".  It is available from many distributors worldwide, including (but not limited to) the following:

Let us know how the new debugger fares once you receive it.

Best regards,

- Phillip

Just Ordered the Debugger on Element14. Waiting for the delivery of the same. Hope the problem will be solved with new Debugger.

The Debugger was received today. Tried to program an EFM8BB31F16G-QSOP-24 device wired on a simple board. Only Power, Debug Interface and an LED connected to P1.7 with a pull up to 3V. 

The Simplicity studio says"Target NOT Recognised". But the Debugger works fine with C80951F boards like the OLD Debugger. The DEBUGGER is shown as proper debugger for EFM8 devices. 

Will do some more experiments and come back later as we have to finish some weekend supply.

Can you send some example program for this device just to blink an IC. I am presently using KEIL. I would like to migrate to Simplicity Studio soon. But for a quick check an example program would be very helpful.

There are examples in the simplicity studio. Usually you could get the example in folder like below:

C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v4\developer\sdks\8051\v4.0.3\examples\EFM8BB3_SLSTK2022A

WeiguoLu

When I assembled the Blink Example for EFM8BB31F16G-QSOP-24 IC, the Assembly is NO problem. But when I debug the Programme, the Flash download in to debugger happens, but it does not download the code into the uC. It says Target DLL cancelled. What could be the problem? 

Success! I can now program my EFM8BB31F16G-QSOP-24 from KEIL and Blink 3 LEDs from the sample programme. From the Previous posts I found out that 1K pull-up is important. I will now learn to use Simplicity Studio to take the full benefit of EFM8 uCs.

Highlighted

I'm glad you've got it sorted out - thanks for letting us know what the snag was!

Best regards,

- Phillip