Highlighted

Failed to connect to device - EFM8BB1

Hi,

i created a circuit with an EFM8BB1 MCU. I tried to connect to the device via this debug adapter: (http://www.ebay.de/itm/C8051F-MCU-Emulator-U-EC6-USB-Debug-Adapter-JTAG-C2-Mode-with-Cable-/28186126...). My circuit looks like this:

EFM8BB1_Circuit.PNG

If i go like this in Simplicity Studio 4:

Run->Connect To -> Silicon Labs 8051 Part

After a few seconds i get this message:

"Failed to connect to device
TCF error report:

Error text: Invalid target response.
Error code: 131073"

I use a QFN-20 EFM8BB1. I made some pictures to make sure, that i didn't soldered any short circuits at the EFM8BB1 pins:

Board_MCU_01.png

Board_MCU_04.png

Any idea, what i did wrong? Is my circuit correct? I am looking forward to any answers!

Best regards

Max

Re: Failed to connect to device - EFM8BB1

I have an educated guess

you believe that ground is ground, that is rarely the case

add ground to your debug connection

also, are the decoupling caps VERY close to Vdd/gnd

if, what could be the case, you have split the debug into two connectors (very dangerous, one reverse and the debug dongle is GONE) is your "replacement cable" SHORT

erik

The 5V on the debug cable is probably not a good idea. It may make the debug adapter output 5V signal levels on for a 3V3 chip.

Everything works fine now. The problem was that the 10-wire gray ribbon cable didn't transferred any signals from the Debug adapter itself (i don't know why). If i directly use the pins from the adapter, the connection is successful. The problem now is that i am unable to license KEIL 8051 v9.53 (see here: http://community.silabs.com/t5/Simplicity-Studio-and-Software/Unable-to-license-8051-Keil/m-p/181038...).

I am wondering why building the project doesn't even work with the restricted version? My code is a few bytes but doesn't get compiled properly by the non-registered version of KEIL? 

RESTRICTED VERSION WITH 0800H BYTE CODE SIZE LIMIT; USED: 0008H BYTE ( 0%) *

Well, 0x0800H would be enough for my 2Kbyte EFM8BB1 Robot Very Happy

the restricted version also require all code located above 800h

erik

But that's not possible for my controller (EFM8BB10F2G-QFN20), is it?

that is why Keil did it that way.

They did not want to make it possible to do complete development for the very small micros w/o license

erik

MaxG wrote:

i created a circuit with an EFM8BB1 MCU. I tried to connect to the device via this debug adapter: (http://www.ebay.de/itm/C8051F-MCU-Emulator-U-EC6-USB-Debug-Adapter-JTAG-C2-Mode-with-Cable-/28186126...).

Everything works fine now. The problem was that the 10-wire gray ribbon cable didn't transferred any signals from the Debug adapter itself (i don't know why). If i directly use the pins from the adapter, the connection is successful.

So you thought it would save you €40 if you bought this cheap rip-off?

How many hours did it take to solve this? And what is your hourly rate?

So you thought it would save you €40 if you bought this cheap rip-off?

How many hours did it take to solve this? And what is your hourly rate?

that one is naaasty, if you do not catch the misspell, you may think it is the real thing

anyhow, this, is by far, not the first thread where someone has wasted a lot of time and money by 'saving' a few bucks

erik