Highlighted
Accepted Solution

EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24 Simplificity Studio 4/5 - No hardware configurator or examples, where to start?

I've just started working with a EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24 chip and I am hoping to create a simple capsense demo. 

My first impressions:-

EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24 does not have a hardware configurator or example files.

I see 3 ways to develop for this chip:-

Approach One

Start from the EFM8SB1 Sleepy Bee Starter Kit Board example code and port it. The chip on this board is EFM8SB10F8G-A-QFN24. The basic chips are the same, however the package is different. I tried flashing the examples, however they  do not seem to work. The projects have hardware configuration files, however an error occurs when opening them in Simplicity Studio (No hardware configurator).

Approach Two

Create an empty project for the chip and use Project properties to add Project Modules. Then use the UART modules etc... to build an app.

Approach Three

Write everything from scratch based on data sheet and registers.

Re: EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24 Simplificity Studio 4/5 - No hardware configurator or examples, where to star

Hi @PaulCreaser,

Thank you for your inquiry about running a capacitive sense example on the EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24.  First, have you tried running the example projects "SB1_capsense_overlay_eval_no_overlay," "SB1_capsense_power_eval_20ms_sleep," or "SB1_capsense_power_eval_500ms_sleep?"  These do have configurator files for the QFN24 chip package, and these configurator files should open in Simplicity Studio when you double click the "*.hwconf" file (i.e. "NoOverlay.hwconf").  

Also, I believe you should be able to flash the code generated for these projects to the QSOP24 package, as the QSOP24 has the same pins bonded out as the QFN24 package.  Can you describe the behavior when you try to do this?  In what way does it not work?

In any case, I definitely recommend pursuing your Approach One - it should be very straightforward to get these examples to run on your EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24.

Can you please provide screenshots and more detail about the error you get when trying to open the .hwconf files?  Do you mean that your Simplicity Studio installation appears to lack Hardware Configurator altogether?  I would suspect a bad installation in this case, though you may be able to add this or fix it using the Update Software utility in Simplicity Studio.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mitch

Re: EFM8SB10F8G-QSOP24 Simplificity Studio 4/5 - No hardware configurator or examples, where to star

Strange this morning, I tried to create an example project using  the EFM8SB1 Sleepy Bee Starter Kit Board. While creating the project, it pulled an update for the EFM8SB10F8G chip (A pop up window appeared, to approve the update request). I then tried a UART sample. I double clicked on the hardware configuration file and was able to access the hardware configurator. So the problem appears to have disappeared. This was Simplicity Studio 4, which I first installed yesterday morning, Japanese time.

I confirmed that the Blinky application worked on the chip this morning.

An additional piece of info. To allow debugging using the Silicon Labs Debug USB Adaptor, I added a 4.7k pull up resistor to the C2CK pin. Before this I had various debug problems. This formed part of my initial conclusion that the Demo programs did not work.

Hi @PaulCreaser,

I am glad that you got the example code and debug to work as expected on your custom hardware using the EFM8LB1.  As to your comment about adding a pull-up resistor to the C2CK line, this is a standard recommendation for all Silicon Labs devices that use the C2 debug interface, though our typical recommended value is 1 kohm (please refer to the EFM8LB1 datasheet, section 5.2, page 33).  Thank you, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Mitch